Jambands.ca

Warren Haynes, yay or nay?

dJEd

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lets see you write better songs? If they aren't so good. Warren is a good song writer, have you seen rising low? probably not! He wrote songs to fit each bass player, minus mike g. SO give it a rest warren is better than you think. Listen to you him jazz it up a bit. So just quit bashing and try to enjoy music rather than critizing it, when it comes down to it. Neither of our opinions really matter, at least not mine yet.......

He definitely got a solid reputation for being someone whose guitar has to get pried out of his hands before he'll do anything else with his day, and I admire that. He's an admirably solid and committed player, and I like that too. Frankly, I wish he fucked up more often; it might make him a little easier to relate to ;).

Call it a case of career envy ;).

As if some dude that wants to stick their nose in the crotch of Bob Weir's pink short shorts would have a fuÇking clue about soul. Warren oozes soul.

a-ha-ha! look who becomes quite the bruised little peach when the tables are turned and his precious hero gets a little heat for once - good on ya.

I was simply stating facts, but if I wanted to sink to "nose in the crotch" level insults, I would've said Warren sings like he's grunting one out on the shitter, and appeals to the Nascar crowd. But I didn't. ;)

djed....

have you seen him play live with any lineups? I know that's a big factor when judging a musician. You gotta see them in different settings.

I was introduced to him through Phil and Friends and loved him there. Saw him play with SCI, then I saw the Gov't Mule and eventually the ABB. Each time he was incredible to watch and listen to.

Warren is a great blues guitarist and nowadays, an underrated slide player. I say " nowadays " because in the 90's, Warren was THE SLIDE CAT in the jamband scene.

For a guy who is blues based, Warren is an adventurous and subtle technical player, one that continues to evolve - maybe slower than one would like.

Some may not care for him and his style, but you'd be stupid to think he doesn't know his way around a fret board.

I love that Warren chooses his notes wisely. He wastes none of them and his solos are melodic, often powerful and most importantly, add to each compositon. If it weren't for Warren ( and to a smaller extent Allen Woody ), The Allmans would not have made a successful comeback in the late 80's. In some ways, Warren understands the importance of the Allmans legacy moreso than Dickey Betts.

With Warren as a singer, I totally understand people not liking him. His voice and songs do exude a dinosaur-rawk quality. Gov't Mule songs do suffer from being occassionally formulaic, but overall, Warren is at his best in The Mule. The Mule are one of the first 90's bands that that embraced 70's album oriented rock. If anything, they kick-started the retro-rock trend afflicting the airways today.

no i haven't seen him live, but i've heard several live recording with various lineups. listening is far more important than seeing. most of you hippies are too fucked up at concerts to form valid opinions, which is why headphones are the ultimate opinion maker!

i've heard him jazz it up and as i stated he should be punished for it.

anyway i have to go to work i'll make fun of commander boring more later. :D

Haven't seen him live? I'm sorry but listening to something and having it blasted into your soul by a powerhouse PA are 2 TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS. Do you hold all bands and musicians to the same standard ie. no difference between live setting and on record? What a load of crap....

YAY YAY YAY for Warren, long live hardest working, bluesiest, most tastefully entertaining guitarist ever.

and not that it pertains AT ALL to his playing, but he'a hell of a nice guy in person.

Edited by Guest

no i haven't seen him live, but i've heard several live recording with various lineups. listening is far more important than seeing. most of you hippies are too fucked up at concerts to form valid opinions, which is why headphones are the ultimate opinion maker!

i've heard him jazz it up and as i stated he should be punished for it.

anyway i have to go to work i'll make fun of commander boring more later. :D

What a crock of shit. Any rock concert I've ever been too is 100 times more meaningful when you are there, seeing and hearing the music being crafted, at rock concert volume levels. Its universally acknowledged within the guitar playing community that Warren has monster guitar tone and extremely tasteful chops. I fell in love with him the first time I saw him in 1996 when I was in my full-on Guitar Player reading/tone freak phase. He muscled a Les Paul through a Soldano like nobody's business. I can understand that people may not like his singing; singing is a bit more personal, I know Warren is pretty monotone (fuck, one of my favourite singers is Donald Fagen, I haven't found any sympathy from anyone on that one).

As for the jazz thing, have you listened to the studio track of Sco-Mule? Jazz-rock, for sure but punishable? He's a smart player.

I think one of the things that I admire most about Warren is the sheer size of his repetoire; many of the intricate parts that he plays in the many different bands he plays in would require constant refreshing, from a rehearsal stand point.

Sorry for the rant, but one of my pet peeves is when people come on and start listing off all the reasons why they DON'T like someone; what's the point? Do you think you might deter someone from maybe liking him? I try to take some enjoyment out of everything I listen too (or am forced to listen to), instead of complaining about it.

...dratted Monday mornings!!

i play music, but i favor interesting music. i know what i'm talking about enough to realize that Warren doesn't have an original bone in his body. as for ripping, yeah he can play the blues scale and a few modes, lots of people can. unfortunately he can't do anything else(see: Jimmy Herring) the biggest problem with this scene is the guitar loving.

and please enlighten us as to how one might grasp an understanding of "music the way it should be"

In djeds defence (even though he is an asshole music nazi :)) he never said that Warren is a shitty guitar player. I belive he said he is mediocre.

I just want to point out that this thread wasn't created to offend Warren fans. Everyone is allowed to share their thoughts on the subject and it's healthy for people to disagree. A good heated debate is always fun. I would contribute but I don't really care to much about the subject.

MarcO, has it gotten tiresome because you have been to many shows where he joined the band onstage as a 'surprise' guest?

Or do you read PT too much?

good morning asshat.

no, it's just perception. Dude is everywhere over the past five years. What does PT have to do with it?

I have the same allergic reaction to Les Claypool.

Sorry for the rant, but one of my pet peeves is when people come on and start listing off all the reasons why they DON'T like someone; what's the point?

True enough. It really makes no sense to create a topic based on a musician you never seen live yet managed to form a negative opinion of.

I'm gonna put Djed on my list of people who's opinion's have no credibility ;)

why do you have to see a musician live before you can make a judgment?

I agree wholeheartedly with that comment. If something isn't pleasing to the ears on a recording why should you go see the group live just to confirm the fact that you don't like there musical abilities? Makes no sense.

Oh yeah, I forgot:

as for ripping, yeah he can play the blues scale and a few modes, lots of people can.

[color:purple]Yeah, sorta like those guys on that shitty album by Miles Davis, Kind of Blue.

That album is almost entirely comprised of dorian mode noodling. Its also one of my favourite albums of all time.