Jambands.ca

Warren Haynes, yay or nay?

dJEd

I have seen Warren in different contexts at least 20 times.

I think he is certainly a quality player who deserves respect. However I do feel that sometimes he lacks the range to venture into more free, jazz based or even funk territory. Sometimes he is just too rooted in the blues to be flexible.

However when he plays the blues, he kills it. And his slide playing is killer. Never forget that!

;)

Edited by Guest

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why do you have to see a musician live before you can make a judgment?

I agree wholeheartedly with that comment. If something isn't pleasing to the ears on a recording why should you go see the group live just to confirm the fact that you don't like there musical abilities? Makes no sense.

ok, but does that mean that there's no difference between live music and recorded music?

I'm the only Red House Painters fan on the board ...

Incorrect! :)

As for Warren...

Not too into bluesy stuff. I think he tired's up ABB and Phil's band with his bluesy playing. I'd rather a more aggressive/ psychadelic style with either of these bands, although to a greater extent with Phil.

Govt Mule - seen them four times or so... enjoyable enough but a little too rocky and bluesy for my maximum enjoyment.

I appreciate what he does and do get into his guitar work when seeing him live... I'd say I'm never very excited to listen to Warren though.

I saw him five times in two days a few years back: Deer Creek: Govt Mule> Phil> ABB Pine Knob: ABB> Phil. That was a bit much in the Warren dept.

Seeing ABB in London in August sans Warren - awesome! Finally, an energy packed abb show! NO sleepy Warren blues ballads.

The best way I can describe what Warren brings to the Grateful Dead universe is:

When Kimock is in The Other Ones we get tunes like "A Love Supreme" and "Milestones" (Coltrane, Miles)

When Warren is in The Dead we get "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica.

Speaks volumes IMO.

I think he is certainly a quality player who deserves respect. However I do feel that sometimes he lacks the range to venture into more free, jazz based or even funk territory. Sometimes he is just too rooted in the blues to be flexible.

However when he plays the blues, he kills it. And his slide playing is killer. Never forget that!

;)

I agree with you 100%. I dig Warren for what he is. Nevermind what he isn't.

When Kimock is in The Other Ones we get tunes like "A Love Supreme" and "Milestones" (Coltrane, Miles)When Warren is in The Dead we get "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica.

Speaks volumes IMO.

For what its worth, you are a very poor fact-checker with what you are trying to imply, speaks volumes IMHO. You should probably just be quiet because the last set that The Warren Hayne's Other Ones played included Milestones.

Not to mention the $$$$$$$$ comment. That is pure idiocy.

Edited by Guest

He brought Metallica into the GD universe.

That is true and it certainly pains me. Not to menton the whole Gov't Mule "Driving Rain" fiasco with James Hetfield. This caused legions of ignorant 97.7FM listeners to flood Warren shows and bitch like crazy when he didn't play that tune.

}:(

Edited by Guest

He brought Metallica into the GD universe.

I think its great! I would take a Metallica song any day over another overplayed El Pasopissbreak.

[color:purple]Oh' date=' that's right. No one pisses during a Bobby number............

[/color']

Actually I'd take El Paso before I'd take a metallica cover by just about anyone, especially Warren Haynes a.k.a Danny Devito as the Penguin.

I'm with the Polkaroo.

There were enough reasons not to take the post-Garcia "Dead" formations seriously - hearing a Metallica cover was just the icing on the acid-laced cake. Wake me when you give a shit about your music again.

Oh goodie, they're doing "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". Just what I always hoped the Dead would do!

no, I think he is a fine player. He's just not for me, and it can be frustrating because he seems to pop up everywheren.

Just this morning I opened my closet and he said "hey man, wear this" and then took a solo. It gets tiresome.

so what clothes did he pick out for you?

so this ones for me eh? but i already knew you thought warren sucks...

i think warren rocks, i have lots of good mule shows, saw him with phil&frnds, and abb, havent caught the mule yet, watched rising low, and that mule shows from new orleans, he is a killer guitar player, sick slide player, i love what he does, i agree with all the good stuff said about him in this thread, and a big YAY from me.

the metallica comment is lame, by the way. but i guess it is warranted as warren did a tune with that guy from metallica.

bottom line is warren rules.

I wouldn't think that Warren would force a suggestion of his down everybody's throat...he's a hired guitar player, fer Christ's sakes, I'm sure anyone in the band could have vetoed it....blame the band, not WH.

This is kinda ridiculous, like we needed another issue to demonstrate the complex theory of "different strokes fer different folks"....

Hope you don't sweat your balls off, MarcO!

;)

However I do feel that sometimes he lacks the range to venture into more free, jazz based or even funk territory. Sometimes he is just too rooted in the blues to be flexible.

;)

That's exactly one of the best qualities of Warren. He is rooted in the inflexible blues genre, yet he uses what musical background he has and ventures into uncommon territory. I love hearing blues guys like Warren putting their own stamp on jazz and funk - and there isn't many doing it. And why not do it? Rock guys have been ripping off jazz and blues for decades to varying degrees of respect and success.

And at least Warren has established his own " sound "... like it or not. Most jazz snobs wouldn't know James Carter from Josua Redmond.