Warren Haynes, yay or nay?

dJEd

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

okay here we go..

i remembered, i have in fact seen Warren live with the Brothers in 03 but i left that concert talking about the drummers, Derek and Oteil. big surprise there.

judging a musician based on seeing them live is fucking ridiculous. your opinions are based on your experience, NOT the music. one is far more likely to form a true opinion based on purely listening. i've heard LIVE and studio recordings of warren with several different artists and i still think he's boring. thats my opinion.

i didn't start this thread to bash Warren, i started to see if anyone else thinks he's really overrated too.

a lot of you seem to be taking this personally.

as for Kind Of Blue. thats not noodling, its focused improvisation by top notch players. noodling is for SCI and Umph.

did i miss anything?

i didn't start this thread to bash Warren, i started to see if anyone else thinks he's really overrated too.

Back to my original post in this thread... have you really *never* read any Warren bashing on message boards that you *had* to ask this question? An entire internet pastime has been crafted around making fun of "Soulshine".

Another thing is that I've seen you bait Warren fans in threads other than this one ("goat rock") so I really can't help but think Warren bashing wasn't at least part of your reason for starting this.

I'm just curious from everybody that is dissing Warren Haynes (Vai & Satriani too) about who they consider in music right now as a superior guitar player?

Superior, well, thats for someone with more guitar knowledge than me, but here's a list of guitar players i enjoy more than Warren Haynes.

Pat Metheny

David Gilmour (i haven't forgotten Live Aid)

Neil Young

John Scofield

Jimmy Herring

Mike McCready

John McLaughlin

Kevin Breit

off the top of my head.

"I'm sorry but anyone who says nay, obviously has no idea what their talking about and probably doesnt play or understand music the way it should be. HUGE yay, he's all over the place and can rip better and tastefully than the most of them, I can't even believe this is up for discussion. "

music the way it should be??

alright then. so music should be played in a manner which has already been done? You expect creative people to stagnate??

I agree that Warren CAN rip with the best of em but he doesn't always do so.

I'm voting a 'nay' for warren, but I think that every group he's a part of is magic. He's definitely a better team player than standout soloist.

I'm not counting the solo set at bonnaroo. I really liked listening to that disc. It's great, he's great...i'm still going 'nay'.

the guy's got heart and soul and drive. he's a great slide player and everybody loves him. I think he makes the jamband scene better even if it's just through making people happy.

even then i vote nay. doesn't do it for me. I grew up listening to classic rock radio and the guy's music doesn't challenge me.

nay.

I'm sorry but anyone who says nay, obviously has no idea what their talking about and probably doesnt play or understand music the way it should be.

It's all about taste phishfart. You can appreciate and understand it without liking it. Most of the time it has nothing to do with talent. Some people like mushrooms on their pizza, i think they're gross. Does that make me ignorant to great pizza making? My taste buds just don't like them. Just like my ears don't like Warren Haynes.