Jambands.ca

The New Deal - This is Live

CyberHippie

This is Live is from their very first performance together at the Comfort Zone in 1998. They had no material planned and was meant to just be an informal jam between the three Toronto musicians.

The sound guy popped in a cassette at the last minute and captured it. After hearing it later, all three were impressed enough to officially form a band, and they built their initial repertoire from the improv from that night.

Every time I've seen them since the first time I saw them at Barrymore's I've wanted them to take it down and get the crowd workin' for it - that was one of the only times they played into and out of a slow groove that was a lot like 'this is live'

I always know they CAN play like that but never do and I think that their least energetic music is filled with so much better feel and I remembered everybody really getting into the show...so keeping that in mind, they'd probably keep everybody more involved and enthroalled and giving back to the atmosphere more if they took it down a few notches.

much like 'this is live'

I personally like the bassballs effect on the drumkit. a sweet dirty sweep on the snare drum or the kick...

I was at that surprise New Deal opener for the Fat Cats. Used to be that former members of Gypsy Soul (including Darren of course but alot of people forget that Evan Cranley from Stars and Broken Social scene was also in Gypsy Soul on trombone of course, Ewan Miller - Alastair formerly of Electric Meat's brother- Ewan Bedard and Cathy Craig) played a session at the Bohemian near Avenue and Davenport. In many ways that could be viewed as the birth of the New Deal also.

I was at that surprise New Deal opener for the Fat Cats. Used to be that former members of Gypsy Soul (including Darren of course but alot of people forget that Evan Cranley from Stars and Broken Social scene was also in Gypsy Soul on trombone of course, Ewan Miller - Alastair formerly of Electric Meat's brother- Ewan Bedard and Cathy Craig) played a session at the Bohemian near Avenue and Davenport. In many ways that could be viewed as the birth of the New Deal also.

:o Holy Snikey's thanks for the history lesson brother.

I was in a band that opened for Gypsy Soul @ Call the Office in London about 10 years ago. I didn't realize I was in the presence of all that. Gypsy sould was a good frickin band. Interesting to hear what happened.

Cheers to Zero for knowing a lot about music stuff.

Edited by Guest

That first tND show at the Cozone was 1.27.98 I believe. I remember being there and having no idea as to the future of those three. I love Gypsy Soul and One Step, so it was hard to let go of those two, but tND is great too.

Always good to know a 15 year old was at the first New Deal show! Musta been hard to let go of One Step and Gypsy Sol, I hope your Grade 9 math scores didn't suffer too much.

:o

I also was at that surprise opener for The Fat Cats, that was December 2000 or 2001, a warm-up for their NYC Wetlands NYE gig. Point being, to clarify between the first gig (which I believe was November 98) and the Fatties opener gig a couple of years later.

I think the story goes that in the Summer of 1998 they were part of a revolving door style jam doing some unremarkable funk covers (ie "Chameleon", "The Chicken" etc) but the three of them noticed a particular spark whenever they got together, so they took it down to the Cozo to see what may happen if they just jammed with no material. This Is Live would be that performance.

Edited by Guest
I am not a monster, I am a man dammit!

Always good to know a 15 year old was at the first New Deal show! Musta been hard to let go of One Step and Gypsy Sol, I hope your Grade 9 math scores didn't suffer too much.

:o

So, you are saying, you remember being there and not knowing what the future would hold for the three of them.

The 'house' has been rockin the T.O. Scene since he was impregnating fluid!!! straight up!

He used to get dropped off, squirt-style at College and Spadina. After squirming up the block, he would slip under the door, and slide down the bannister of the comfort zone, usually averting cover charges- lucky thing, cause he had no pockets! Usually he could be spotted spending the evening lounging on groovy steve's tie-died shoulder!! Wide-eyed! For a gamete, he always had a tremendous grasp of the weight or potential counter-cultural impact of any one event. I guess that explains his passion for writing.

Seriously though, I wish I'd been seeing music from such a young age..

I know, I'm just bustin him a bit.....

I read that as 'I'm just busin him a nut....'

I seem to recall that by the time of the show it wasn't particularly a surprise that the New Deal were opening. I also recall Darren being particularly peeved at this fact. So I guess after this is live they started coimng out with the Sound and Light series (five in total?) the first of which as I recall is from a very small gig in Maine.

uh...chameleon is a really cliche funk cover. unremarkable unless you're remarking how it's an overdone cover. I know I've actually remarked many times about how chameleon should be avoided for that fact.

i still love the sing but haven't heard it done justice even though i've heard it played without 'error'. my keyboard on the other hand likes to add spaces. I'd edit them but I think this seems a bit mroe like the way I actually talk so it's alright.

bu ddy.