Jambands.ca

Winnipeg folk group sues to block latest Harry Potter film from being shown

Deeps

Seems like a pretty dang steep number if you ask me, but I think this band just got more publicity than it ever would have.Deeps

They say there's no such thing as bad publicity, but this case may disprove that. I can't figure where there this group is coming from. They don't have a lock on the name. As Stn. Mtn. so rightly pointed out in another thread, Shakespeare used it in Macbeth! For crying out loud, there was a book published in 1988 by that name (2 years before the band was formed). Warner bros. offered them $50,000 for the use of the name anyways... which the group rejected. Warner Bros. also assured them that the name would not be used in the movie itself, but the group said the damage had already been done since the name was used in the book. If that's the case, then they should be suing J. K. Rowlings, not the musicians from Radiohead! Whether it's an attempt to grab publicity or cash or both, it's a feeble one at best.

But on what grounds? I can understand how a band that has worked hard for 15 years (released 8 albums and won 3 Junos) would want to protect its identity, but this attempt seems, to me, to be misguided (and hence questionable). Nowhere in the movie is the name The Wyrd Sisters actually used, so why would you sue the maker of the movie and the actors who play in it? The band's fight, if they have one, is with the author in whose book the name actually does appear. How does stopping a movie in which the band's name is never used protect their identity? I don't get it....no matter what band it is.

Nowhere in the movie is the name The Wyrd Sisters actually used, so why would you sue the maker of the movie and the actors who play in it? The band's fight, if they have one, is with the author in whose book the name actually does appear.

Just saw your response Dr J. You're absolutely right. I was thinking that the name was being used in the movie too.

It seems like a colossal waste of legal resources to me, or at worst a dodgy stab at cheap publicity. Should the Monty Python lawyers sue for Rowling's use of the phrase "cockroach cluster" (one of the Weasley's Wizard Wheezes gags), pilfered from the Wizzo Quality Assortment sketch? Once you start down that path, the Simpsons (to take one example) would be cooked, and lawyers (pace StoneMtn ;) )

would take over the world.

I recall some people trying to force Peter Jackson to change the name of "The Two Towers" because they said that it was a direct reference to 9/11... never mind that the book was written and titled fifty years ago, or that the WTC was referred to as the "twin towers".

related but slightly diffrent..

when the levee broke and new orleans is sinking were pulled from the air due to the situation in the US..

those songs were written well be for the present situation ever happened..

why do people complain about anything and everything? that is a question for the ages..

related but slightly diffrent..

when the levee broke and new orleans is sinking were pulled from the air due to the situation in the US..

those songs were written well be for the present situation ever happened..

why do people complain about anything and everything? that is a question for the ages..

I'm not sure it was a matter of people complaining as much as it was a temporary measure in a time of crisis to prevent insensitive DJs from making jokes about things that aren't joking matters.

Despite the extremism of artists like Howard Stern and their political importance in challenging the boudaries of acceptability there is a sect of society whose sympathy usurps their need for entertainment, they don't like to laugh at other's misfortune and I guess they were trying to make their voice heard.

Was there ever an official ban of New Orleans is Sinking? or was it a request? from whom?

Edited by Guest

Was there ever an official ban of New Orleans is Sinking? or was it a request? from whom?

I don't believe there was a ban of NOIS. It was an individual decision made by various stations and their program directors and was fully supported by The Hip who said they would not be playing the song at their show in Moncton w/ The Stones and were not sure if and when they would be playing it again....which may or may not be good news to some ;)

On a different radio note.....does anyone know if the Ottawa DJ who got suspended for going on the Stompin' Tom binge, ever got his job back?

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Wyrd Sisters may deprive Canada of next Potter film; at least temporarily...

[color:red]CANADA IN BRIEF

Court challenge could block Harry Potter film release

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 Page A9

Winnipeg -- A little-known Winnipeg folk group will have a chance next week to block the Nov. 18 premiere of the new Harry Potter movie across Canada.

The Wyrd Sisters, who allege that Harry Potter and The Goblet Of Fire contains a scene with a musical group bearing their name, have secured a Nov. 4 court date to apply for an injunction barring distribution of the film.

The band's lawyer, Kimberly Townley-Smith, was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Warner Brothers is fighting the lawsuit, saying the movie contains no reference to a "Wyrd Sisters" group. CP

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20051026/NATS26-2/TPNational/Canada

It occurs to me too that there's a Scooby Doo Hallowe'en book from Scholastics that I've been reading with our kids at night that has an instance of a Wyrd Sisters band. So, what's next, are they going to take on those people too? (Or, conversely, and perhaps more interestingly, are they going to see themselves sued by the Scooby Doo estate?...)

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty funny.

I expected that the ruling on that motion would simply be that the movie can go ahead as planned, because the movie-maker has more than enough assets to compensate the Wyrd Sisters later on in damages if they were to win at trial.

Knowing only what I do from the media, so it's a wishy-washy opinion at best, I really didn't think a motion to dismiss at this early stage would have been successful. Our Courts are usually very reluctant to deprive parties of their "day in court". Gutsy judgment; for sure.

That said, we'll just have to wait and see if there will be an appeal.