Jambands.ca

Looking for a Cello in Ottawa

AD

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone knows a place for cheap or used instruments, specifically I'm looking for a Cello... Does anyone know if there are discount places that sell student-quality stringed instruments? I've found a few places online such as musiciansfriend.com that sell low-priced kits, but unfortunately don't ship to Canada.

So to recap: I'm looking for a cheap, user-friendly, good condition beginner full-size cello in the Ottawa area.

Can anyone help me out?

AD

Edit: There's a 1/4 size one on UsedOttawa, but I think I'm looking for a fullsize.... Any recommendations?

ps. SmoothedShredder, if you're talking to TF please don't mention that I'm looking for this, it's a gift idea...

Edited by Guest

Hey AD,

Working for a music shop that specializes in violin family instruments (being world renound for it) as well as being a luthier doing the set-ups for such instruments, I would say be thankful that you arn't able to get one of these "musiciansfriend.com" cello's! Aside from being the cheapest quality Chinese made instrument, they are not set-up what-so-ever. And trust me, setting-up a stringed instrument is both costly and difficult...not simple like a guitar or bass guitar. There are several aspects to the acoustic vln/vla/cello/bass that must be taken into consideration to do a proper set-up and for a cello, your looking at about $400...a violin set-up at my store is $275+tax.

Be weary...trust a store with a good reputation and stay the hell away from L&M...some of the saddest work I've seen on a violin family instrument in my life has been from the L&M here in Toronto...

May the blessings be,

Gawpo Giggles :P:P:P

Hi Ad,

Here at my store, the most moderatly priced out-fit (cello, gig-bag, bow) is $1299+tax new. They are made in Korea and properly set-up. Being here in Toronto as well as being Remenyi, may even put the price a little high, so possibly look into paying $1000-$1300 for a Chinese or Korean. Korean made is better, but if properly set-up, Chinese instruments are OK too.

Hope that helps...

May the blessings be,

Gawpo Giggles :P:P:P

hey AD,

like any musical instrument, the price can REALLY vary. my mom's cello was $5,000 and that was at least 10 years ago. but as mentioned above, you can get them for less. it really all depends on the particular instrument. from my own personal experience, stringed intstruments, like violins & cellos are so vastly different from one to the next, each one is truly unique in its own way.

also, re: used vs. brand new instrument -- newer does not mean better when it comes to cellos -- some of the best ones are also some of the oldest. it all depends on how it sounds! i wouldn't be one bit surprised if a brand new one costs less than an old one that sounds amazing.

are you buying this for a girl? a 3/4 size may fit her better if she is short, but those are a bit harder to find.

honestly, if i were you, i would phone around to different music schools & instrument stores & things like that and look into renting one -- many instrument rentals are rent-to-own, so if she likes it, then she'll own it after the payments are done and if she doesn't like it/it doesn't fit her/ she doesn't like the way it sounds/isn't all that interested in cello lessons after all, she can easily trade it in for one she wants to buy or flat out return it.

maybe include gift certificates for lessons with the rental cello to sweeten the deal when you give it to her (just make sure she knows it's a rental cello :) ).

i'm not very familiar with the music programs at the universities there, but i would check the student classifieds there as well.

and you could always put an ad in the paper and see what kind of replies you get.

good luck.

great gift. :)

Edited by Guest
edited for typo & clarification