Jambands.ca

SAT. NOV. 12 SOULIVE ~el Mocambo~

Jay Funk Dawg

***REMINDER****

GMP Productions and 360 Degrees Artists present...

soulive.jpg

SOULIVE

Saturday, November 12th

El Mocambo (downstairs)

Tickets: $16.50 available Thursday Sept.1 through all ticketmaster outlets, online, 416.870.8000

Rotate This, Sonic Temple.

Doors: 9pm

Soulive is a soul groove organ trio consisting of Alan Evans on Drums, Neal Evans on Hammond B-3 and Eric Krasno on guitar. The group was formed in March, 1999 and, in a short period of time, has become one of the most entertaining live music groups in the Northeast, consistently adding new listeners to its devoted fan base.

Although a relatively new band, Soulive's members are veterans of the live music scene. Alan Evans, was a founding member of Moon Boot Lover, a group that saw considerable success as an East Coast touring band throughout the early and middle 1990s. After leaving Moon Boot Lover, Alan joined the Greyboy Allstars and also played with Karl Denson's Tiny Universe. While playing with these groups, Alan performed at some of the best known music venues in the country, including the Hollywood Bowl, the Fox Theater, the Newport Jazz Festival, the JVC Jazz Festival and Irving Plaza, to name a few.

Neal Evans, and Alan's younger brother, was also a founding member of Moon Boot Lover until his departure from the group in 1996. Neal went on to study music at the Manhattan School of Music under the world-renowned pianist Jaki Byard, and played extensively with some of the city's finest jazz musicians.

Eric Krasno, was the founding member and leader of Lettuce, a popular high-energy funk outfit based out of Boston, MA. Lettuce opened for such bands as the Original P (Parliament/Funkadelic) and Busta Rhymes, and has been a regular featured guitarist at Wally's, one of the most famous underground jazz scenes in the country.

This is going to be a kickass way to continue on with a great groove following the Michael Franti show at the Bloor Cinema. This one is bound to go till all hours of the morning. visit: www.gmpconcerts.com for more info...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone happen to know what time this show is set to start?

I’m seeing Michael Franti at the Bloor Cinema that night, and I’m thinking of coming out to this show after. Is there an opening band? I suspect I can probably hit Franti first and still see both sets of Soulive.

Yeah baby.. set times are just coming together now.. I'd say that you can expect SOULIVE on stage by Midnight, if not at 11:30ish.

the Opener is

Nick "The Brownman" Ali Electryc Trio

BrownPromoPic-MontrealJazzFest2001_sm.jpg

Jazz Interactive writes: "this powerful trio captures essence of the later years in Miles Davis' life, his electric period, without immitation. Brownman's electric trio is uniquely his own, yet echos with the sounds of Bitches Brew right down to the wah-wah pedal - yet without a wah-wah pedal. Impressive."

Brownman - electryc trumpet

Dane Wedderburn - 7-string electric bass

Larnell Lewis - drums

I was at the Bloor Cinema tonight checking out the Imagine-Native Film Festival. (Great Film Johnny Tootall; starring Adam Beach and Alex Rice) It's going to be a great show there, beautiful space, and environment for Franti.

As you know this SOULIVE show is a co-promote between myself and GMPCONCERTS who are putting on the Franti show.. we can only hope that FRANTI shows up (AT THE EL MOCAMBO)!

SATURDAY NOV 12 BABY!! "HOW YA FEELIN!!!"

Edited by Guest
don't think .. feel

JayDawg, you had me worried for a second there, when you suggested Michael might not show up; considering I'm timing my trip to Toronto to coincide with his appearance.

Luckily a quick search at spearheadvibrations.com quelled my nerves:

Date: 11/12/2005

Venue: SCREENING OF "I KNOW I'M NOT ALONE" @ Bloor Cinema

Time: 8:00P Doors; 9:00P Show

Description: Film screening including Q&A and Michael Franti solo performance.