Jambands.ca

Falafel recipes?

rubberdinghy

last time I made boxed falafels they rocked, can't remember the brand though

pop by a local shwarma place and try to score some or their white and hot sauces for garnish

roll balls of falafel, fry (carefully turning once browning) try to brown all sides... good fresh pita is essential, chopped lettuce tomato

they cook pretty quick (easy healthy meal to make)

Dear Lord, I love Falafel. Here's my favourite recipe:

-------------

Falafel

3 cloves garlic

1/2 cup minced parsley

1 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas

1 tbl lemon juice

1 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp. each basil, corriander, thyme

1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce

black pepper to taste

2 slices French bread, torn, and soaked in water

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1 tbl extra-virgin olive oil

4 pita bread rounds

lettuce, sliced, cucumbers, and tomato for garnish

Blend garlic and parsley in a food processor until finely minced. Add chickpeas, and process until pasty. Add lemon, cumin, basil, corriander, thyme, hot pepper sauce, and black pepper. Squeeze water out of the bread and add. Process until well mixed. Form mixture into 16 balls. Flatten each ball into 1/2 inch thick patties. Place patties on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 F for 10 minutes. Turn patties, bake another 10 minutes. In a large skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat. Add patties, fry until golden brown. Turn patties over, add remaining oil. Fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

--------------------

I've never used the bread technique, and I know that this recipe will work without it. Fresh falafels are about a billion times better than the boxed mixes, IMO (like listening to a grainy, third generation tape of a show vs. being there in person).

Enjoy!