Jambands.ca

Music at Work

Douglas

I miss it.

I still have my headphones, but don't use them anymore at work. 4 months ago I moved downtown and now I'm in the pit. I work in cubicle-land, surrounded by clients. In my previous location, my group was in a private office space where clients couldn't get at us. So whenever I was at my desk, I had a cd spinning. There was no threat of a client walking into my "space."

It's all different now...not only am I invaded by people penetrating my 3 half-walls, but they also seem it's appropriate to shout though the fabric that "separates" us. Being in the client service industry, I find it inappropriate to have headphones on my ears in this environment. Although I don't think it would really matter to most of my clients...after all, they don't hesitate to flap their gums at me while I'm chewing away on a sandwich at noon (even if my back is turned to them). Some of them even go so far as to say "Oh, you're eating your lunch. Well, my computer is blah blah blah blah blah..." They actually verbally acknowledge the fact that I'm on my "lunch break" (the whole 27 secs it takes to inhale the sandwich and wash it down with water) and continue on with their ignorance. I mean, come on...if I see someone eating at their desk it's obvious to me that they're so busy that day that they have to eat at their desk and I quietly walk away.

Anyhow, like I was saying, I find it inappropriate for me to have headphones on...reason being: if someone feels it's necessary to come directly to me I don't want them to feel like they're intruding. But they're really pushing it now that they intrude unnecessarily. Maybe they should teach proper cubicle etiquette: approach the cubicle, wait until the occupant makes eye contact and readies themself for a conversation, and then proceed. Is it really that difficult? That's what I do anyway.

crap...where was I?

oh yeah...music at work. I miss it terribly. Even those days when I could only get in a 3min 30sec tune, it made such a difference. It gave me the feeling of having my own space. And now I just feel like I'm a computer whore on a dance floor...without the glitter ;)

Edited by Guest
I spelled sandwich wrong...

I think with the lunchtime interruptions that a little (or a lot of) rudeness would be perfectly appropriate. That's pretty annoying.

I'm sorry to hear of your music deprivation. I would lose my mind. I used to leave Dead shows running on my laptop during office hours, and never had any students complain (god help them if they ever did }:(;) .

Maybe you could play really brutally offensive music until they make a point of bringing it up with you and you can arrive at a compromise where they let you play "nice" music?

i think you should wear the headphones if you can't play music out loud. it will save your sanity... perhaps get some small earbud style ones, or else get a headset with mic, so it looks like you're all business, but really there's a party goin' on.

i'm pretty lucky. i just got moved to the back, an office and a kitchen away from anyone else.

hehehe!! nice Evil! But I wouldn't dare play any music so that they could hear it. There are signs up everywhere that basically tell people to shutup. Maybe I should put a sign on my "door." It could read: "Fuck off. Get your own sandwich."

Seriously though...even if it weren't for the "shh" signs, I wouldn't play my music for others to hear out of respect.

Maybe I should put a sign under my name plate that reads: "I respect you...so FUCK OFF"

What I want is a mic/headset combination that incorporates a good set of stereo headphones, and which can be integrated into a media player on my PC, my phone, and a footswitch, so that when I'm playing music, and the phone rings, I can step on the footswitch, have the music paused, and the phone answered / switched into the headset.

Have you tried putting an "I'm available" / "I'm not available" sign on your cubicle? Then, if someone bugs you while it reads "I'm not available", you can harangue them.

Aloha,

Brad

I miss it.

I still have my headphones, but don't use them anymore at work. 4 months ago I moved downtown and now I'm in the pit. I work in cubicle-land, surrounded by clients. In my previous location, my group was in a private office space where clients couldn't get at us. So whenever I was at my desk, I had a cd spinning. There was no threat of a client walking into my "space."

well her is an idea

put up a sign at lunch time, sorry out to lunch

they have nice small ear plugs and u can run the wire in through your top and put the rest of the wire in the desk, enjoy your music, also every one needs it today dealing with some people just to tolerate them, i have a good cd of jimmy flynn ha ha

to hell with them u will find out that you are no better liked even if u kill yourself working ,you have a dinner time make it your time

best of luck with your lunch n don,t eat it fast for some pig

enjoy

It's all different now...not only am I invaded by people penetrating my 3 half-walls, but they also seem it's appropriate to shout though the fabric that "separates" us. Being in the client service industry, I find it inappropriate to have headphones on my ears in this environment. Although I don't think it would really matter to most of my clients...after all, they don't hesitate to flap their gums at me while I'm chewing away on a sandwich at noon (even if my back is turned to them). Some of them even go so far as to say "Oh, you're eating your lunch. Well, my computer is blah blah blah blah blah..." They actually verbally acknowledge the fact that I'm on my "lunch break" (the whole 27 secs it takes to inhale the sandwich and wash it down with water) and continue on with their ignorance. I mean, come on...if I see someone eating at their desk it's obvious to me that they're so busy that day that they have to eat at their desk and I quietly walk away.

Anyhow, like I was saying, I find it inappropriate for me to have headphones on...reason being: if someone feels it's necessary to come directly to me I don't want them to feel like they're intruding. But they're really pushing it now that they intrude unnecessarily. Maybe they should teach proper cubicle etiquette: approach the cubicle, wait until the occupant makes eye contact and readies themself for a conversation, and then proceed. Is it really that difficult? That's what I do anyway.

crap...where was I?

oh yeah...music at work. I miss it terribly. Even those days when I could only get in a 3min 30sec tune, it made such a difference. It gave me the feeling of having my own space. And now I just feel like I'm a computer whore on a dance floor...without the glitter ;)

Guest Low Roller

Can you somehow reorient your desk so as to face the opening of your cubicle? If so you'd see clients coming in, therefore they wouldn't be faced with the task of trying to get your attention as you would see them right away. That way it's 'ok' to wear headphones. But I understand your concern.

I actually went a whole four months at my new job before I decided to start wearing headphones. Now thanks to the adictive nature of iD1g1t.com, I basically listen to music if I'm ever at my desk.

Also,

Are you going to finish that sandwich? Can I have it?

a) definately get a disc man for your lunch hours, and if you have to eat at your desk feel free to put a pair of headphones on at lunch time.

B) when people bug you at lunch, just politely smile and tell them you can definately help them out with their problem once you've finished your lunch. Put your foot down!!!

You are Not a SLAVE to the work world.

I wear those ones that you put over the top of your ear so that you can wear one at a time...and that's what I do....while I'm working away, I can boogie to the music, but still hear someone if they are trying to talk to me.

I got them at the store by the Rotten Ronnies by my work Lynners....I'll show ya. And they were only $9.99.

so after my one line speech about "you are not a slave to the work world......."

my boss just turned to me and ask if I could take hundreds of letters home this weekend and see if my friends would help sign a signature on them to have ready for Monday?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

WHAT THE Z#$@$$??????????????????????

As he's running out the door to GOLF....."can you do that for me Lis?"

"YAH - i'll get it done" EYE ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

B) when people bug you at lunch, just politely smile and tell them you can definately help them out with their problem once you've finished your lunch. Put your foot down!!!

People that work for me have tried that one, I just laugh. Sometimes I'll say 'I can see you're eating lunch and thank you for offering to help me later, but I need this down now, thank you.'

It would probably work fine if you said that to people under you, but not the other way around.

I listen to music at work, sometimes loud. The guy next to me has a little stereo too and we have wars, he'll crank the Van Halen or Metallica and I'll crack the Sadies or Zappa until someone tells us to turn it down. We almost went deaf the day we didn't know that we were the only ones in the office; we were expecting someone to tell us to turn it down!

AD

Guest Low Roller
People that work for me have tried that one, I just laugh. Sometimes I'll say 'I can see you're eating lunch and thank you for offering to help me later, but I need this down now, thank you.'

The general rule I use that if a person is sitting at their desk then I will ask them for things.