Jambands.ca

Music at Work

Douglas

sounds good Jod...wanna do lunch today?

I think I have plans, but damn, I'd love to go back to the Royal Oak for another Roast Beef Dip soon!

Wear the headphones and if you have no line of site to people coming in your door way, just continue to look transfixed at your monitor and ignore. People (hopefully) wouldn't sit there and go LYNN! .... LYNN!... EXCUSE ME! ...

Time for a party in my ears...

"It's like there's a party in my ears' date=' and everybody else can [i']leave me the fvck alone!"

Aloha,

Brad

bwaaahaahaaa!

i have a zillion hours of GD and other non-mainstream music on my mac at work, in addition to hundreds of hours of really good spoken word (jello, chomsky, TUC radio, democracy now and others). actually this is an ideal place to plug http://www.radio4all.net , a brilliant repository of community radio broadcasts and spoken word.

so having said all that, i leave ITunes on shuffle all day...so as folks from the plant come in to my office all day, they are often hit with a snippet of talk about climate change, or even better 5 minutes of really intense GD space. it's quite funny to see how "space" affects normals. they quite often don't realize where the strange noises are coming from, and in a few cases have become visibly edgy...

most interesting are the discussions started by hearing about ice sheet shrinkage in antarctica or the predictions of extreme climate change that may happen as the ocean currents change due to the introduction of freshwater from melting arctic ice...there's a david suzuki 8 part series that has been in heavy rotation lately, all about the dangers of genetic engineering/climate change/general human planetary fuckery that has opened a few eyes.

i feel good about disseminating this information despite the depression it invariably causes, and i try to temper depressing news with quality music...

the wallpaper on my mac this week is a graphic that was posted here in a thread about the decline of radio...the tag line is "there's something wrong with my radio, it plays the same 5 songs over and over :) "

music/spoken word at work keeps me sane, and i would go to whatever lengths necessary to continue it...douglas, can you get little "in your ear" headphones and try not to let on that you're grooving on company time???

I always think of that line from Jello Biafra in "Letter to Tipper Gore," where he says something like, "Well, if my kid brought something home that I thought was bad for his mental health, like, say, Top Gun on video...." It terrible to have to suppress your own culture and values to put up with the tripe that passes for popular culture but is in fact insanity. I'm glad to hear that your workmates are willing to explore, or at least tolerate, the inverse. No music at all would, I guess, be the other option, which brings us back to the earbuds.