Jambands.ca

hey ottawa - avant garde!

SaggyBalls

Avant Garde at 135 besserer looks like a new hotspot.

anybody into this stuff??

---------------------------------------------------------

Oct 15, Sat, 2005

Nighttime show

Flaps, The

The Flaps’ plays instrumental music that is hard to pin down. Imagine, if you will, non-standard arrangements of standards by Ornette Coleman and Charles Mingus, a disturbing reworking of a Shonen Knife song, and original music evoking an amusement park ride, a candy apple, a midway, and outer/inner space travel. This show is the CD release party fo their first CD.

Oct 15, Sat, 2005

Nighttime show

If Then Do

"sounds like babies crying", someone once said. sure, but carefully orchestrated babies, bribed w/ candy, new diapers and minimal techno, squalling in a cacophony of digital interference, sine tones, electronic squiggles, bass guitar, keyboards and massive speaker violence. we like exploring: . the possible degradations (digital and otherwise) of sound . a tension between melody/noise . the teetering balance between abstraction and structure . textures, but within the context of proper "songs". (one day we will sing in this, too. one day.) currently recording 2 eps and the first lp of material...

Oct 15, Sat, 2005

Daytime show

Trevor Dunn & Shelley Burgon

"Wavering between patient meditation and maniacal catharsis Dunn and Burgon mine the narrow fissure between pure improvisation and through-composed chamber music, slashing at the extreme interplay between steel, string and wood. Strings are beaten or jimmied with clothespins, the harp alternately caressed and throttled. The sonic equivalent of a Joseph Cornell box, the duo has a haunting, cinematic quality that is both staggeringly complex and achingly beautiful." - Tim Duroche, Willamette Week, Portland, OR

Interview by Dennis Hyland for The Vanguard, weekly newspaper of the University of South Alabama. 2000

Oct 15, Sat, 2005

Daytime show

Shaw/Fisher/Hammer/Fraser Quartet

Shaw/Fisher/Hammer/Fraser Quartet

Oct 19, Wed, 2005

Nighttime show

Snailhouse

"Montreal-based musician Mike Feuerstack is no stranger to the music industry, playing in Kepler and the critically acclaimed Wooden Stars, who took home the 2000 Juno for best alternative album. Feuerstack's solo project Snailhouse treats listeners to more mellow, singer-songwriter-type tunes as opposed to Wooden Stars melodic abstract sound." -Paul Borchert - Mote Magazine

Oct 19, Wed, 2005

Nighttime show

Acorn

The Acorn is the musical project of Rolf Klausener. Part electro-noodles, part road-trip soundtrack, part agrarian balladry. The Acorn's first release, A Klausener Xmas, was under the 'Drei Eichel Musik' (german for Three Acorn Music) guise.

Oct 20, Thu, 2005

Nighttime show

DJ Michael

DJ Michael's Night

Oct 21, Fri, 2005

Nighttime show

Holger Schoorl

Holger Schoorl sings songs with simple guitar accompaniment. His songs seek to sound like Franz Schubert, the melodies mender towards unconvincing conclusions, the texts, equally mendering, are potentially too long and are often fragmentary and/or incoherent. In all of these things his songs do not resemble those of Franz Schubert whose songs are structurally concise. The melodies are, though, melodious and sung with conviction.

Oct 21, Fri, 2005

Nighttime show

Yanick Bloomfield

Imagine Indian music fused with speed metal. Yanick's music sounds nothing like that. He is possibly the fourth or fifth finest singer-songwriter you've never heard. Come discover why he's often described as a huge musical talent, as well as a snappy dresser and a good scrabble player.

Oct 22, Sat, 2005

Nighttime show

Pianosaurus Rex

Synthesizers, rock, yelling!

Oct 22, Sat, 2005

Nighttime show

Books on Books

four men, four instruments, four-ty minutes of fun (give or take)!

Oct 22, Sat, 2005

Nighttime show

Fight!Fight!Fight!

Fight!Fight!Fight! is comprised of three young men and a lady who will get you shaking your groove thang and throwing underwear at the stage, preferably tighty-whiteys. This is their premier show in this fine city of rock!

Oct 27, Thu, 2005

Nighttime show

Carleton University's In/Words Magazine

Poetry Event. Finesse, artistry and beauty of life is expressed through this poetic evening by many prolific poets.

Oct 28, Fri, 2005

Nighttime show

Andrei Krylov

"He makes his guitar cry and sing, and its voice touched me deep in my heart. I never thought a guitar can do it." Desmond Rash, Rotary Club, Dunnville, Ontario.

Oct 29, Sat, 2005

Nighttime show

Form One

"...the songs explore themes like judgement, self-image, greed, personal reflection and other attributes of the human experience to a soundtrack of sprawling, mutant jazz arrangements performed by a highly evolved rock n roll band..." -- Chad Newton, Hoodwink Magazine Issue 3

Nov 04, Fri, 2005

Nighttime show

Amanda Mabro & The Cabaret Band

"...if you enjoy cabaret (á la 1930's but without the transvestites), if you enjoy jazz, swing, big band or true R & B, you'll find something to enjoy in listening to Amanda Mabro & The Cabaret Band. This group is tight and together, their playing attesting to 100's of hours of rehearsal without the stiffness of playing from rote. Amanda's voice is flawless, and the range she demonstrates is superb, a complete surprise from someone of her "tender" 23 years. Charmingly, her stage presence is that of a self-conscious young woman shyly peeking out from behind the voice of a 1930's cabaret diva; sultry, sexy, and seductive. One gets the sense that she is less influenced by the genre than she is possessed by it, and it's a wonder to see and hearb..." --MENZ MAGAZINE 2003

Nov 05, Sat, 2005

Nighttime show

Antizario

Jazz, hip-hop, funk, electronica and ambient grooves are only the most obvious of the many influences that come together in Antizario, a musical collective from Ottawa, Ontario. Running roughshod over genre boundaries, Antizario unites these diverse influences to create an ear-catching hybrid sound...

Nov 12, Sat, 2005

Nighttime show

Mad Happy

Mad Happy's live show is tight, energetic and emotionally charged. The charismatic pair, with manic colored hair, an MC-505 Drum Machine and a free spirited approach, can start a party anywhere.

Nov 19, Sat, 2005

Nighttime show

35 Front

The band's name 35 Front come's from a street name in Gatineau QC. 35 is the door number it is the location where the band practiced for a long time . Unfortunately the location changed.

Nov 22, Tue, 2005

Nighttime show

City Streets

Fusing influences from rock, pop, punk, jazz, country, folk, metal, literature, film, art, and travel. City streets is creating a free-form musical expression with numerous contributers and no pre-conceptions or specific ideal- other than to let the song dictate what should be played where and what style it will embody.

Nov 25, Fri, 2005

Nighttime show

Andrei Krylov

"He makes his guitar cry and sing, and its voice touched me deep in my heart. I never thought a guitar can do it." Desmond Rash, Rotary Club, Dunnville, Ontario.

Dec 15, Thu, 2005

Nighttime show

Steve St. Pierre

Singer-songwriter Steve St. Pierre's tongue is beginning to leave bruises on the side of his cheek. For the past two years, this Ottawa native has circled the local and not-so local scenes, playing heartfelt songs coupled with sarcastic charm that folds the audience up and puts them into his pocket. Now, this young and endearing pop-romantic is slowly mapping out the dance steps he hopes will get him some partners - and it all begins with his debut EP, the four-song "Self-Titled EP ".

Dec 15, Thu, 2005

Nighttime show

Kat Burns

katburns was born and raised in Whitby, Ontario, but escaped to Toronto in late 2003. She's been making a name for herself ever since with her feisty blend of hushed indie rock and her precocious stage presence. Her debut EP, 'For the Birds" was released independently in May 2005 in a hand packaged limited edition. The disc has been met with praise from listeners and the press alike, and "showcases her ability to captivate with little more than guitar and voice" (eye). A full length is being recorded this winter with a hopeful spring 2006 release.

Dec 17, Sat, 2005

Nighttime show

Divided Like A Saints

"The Nation's Most Regressive Band"

According to these guys, "regressive music" is music that encompasses an "unexplainable approach to music" which "changes tempos, time signatures, and songs with no warning."

Beats: I got the message you left on my machine.

According to the bar's web page

http://www.avantgardebar.com/

The early show is

Trevor Dunn & Shelley Burgon

w/ Shaw/Fisher/Hammer/Fraser

@ The Avant Garde Bar

135½ Besserer St.

Ottawa, Ontario

$10, All Ages

October, 15, 3pm Matinee

The set times:

4:30-5:30: Shaw/Fisher/Hammer/Fraser

6:00-7:00: Trevor Dunn & Shelley Burgon

So I'm not sure it'll work for me, logistically. I want to go to Zaphod's tonight for Lure, which is supposed to start early (like 8:30pm), so if I want to do both shows, I'll have to stay downtown for/through dinner, which might work (Avant Garde's menu looks good), but I'll have to see.

Aloha,

Brad

they likely have them. my guess would be they're great.

the bartender/waitress is one of the most beautiful people i've ever seen. It was hard to not look at her all night as i didn't really feel very chatty.

dear lord!

anyhow,

THE ACORN with SNAILHOUSE should be a great show.

I caught the acorn at track and field '05 near guelph. a huge suprise that Ottawa had a band like that.

fingerpickin' goodness.

Edited by Guest