Jambands.ca

Digital Gibson Les Paul

bouche

from Gizmodo.com

IMG_1332-thumb.JPG

As I was wandering past a group of goth kids playing some violent video game at Digital Life, I noticed an Intel booth with a cool blue Gibson Les Paul. A gentleman was demoing the new Digital Gibson Les Paul with Sonar 5. In addition to a standard 1/4” guitar jack, the Les Paul features a special ethernet jack where you plug the guitar into a special box. The box then converts the guitar signal to a digital signal allowing complete control over each string. I started to play some Police and Rush songs and they sounded incredible. Each string was hooked up to a seperate channel which was connected to a seperate speaker per channel. The speakers were set up around in like a circle so I was totally zoning out to my own guitar playing. The amount of effects that are possible are incredible as well. I was told the guitar will be available to the general public in about 8 weeks, but I suspect around the beginning of 2006, which is well worth the wait.

too bad they can't come out with a cool new guitar body design that will take guitar out of the dark ages.

Just think - bassists get all the benefits of creative design with more focus on a hi-fi approach to the audio signal while guitarists are pretty much stuck to vintage or metal stylings.

This doesn't include custom guitars and boutique instruments. the parker fly was too radical and expensive to count on that...

It also doesn't include new designs from smaller guitar makers that don't get much of any mainstream status. the big guys tried new designs when the electric guitar was still pretty new (1980's). it's a new century with new demands on the instrument.

cool idea, but why a les paul??

too bad they can't come out with a cool new guitar body design that will take guitar out of the dark ages.

Just think - bassists get all the benefits of creative design with more focus on a hi-fi approach to the audio signal while guitarists are pretty much stuck to vintage or metal stylings.

You guys can keep your pointy guitars and active pickups, thanks! :)