Jambands.ca

Computer peeps

TomFoolery

The thing about refurbished is that at least it has been looked at, fixed up and in good working shape.

Seems to be decent specs for the money. I don't know that brand though.

This is a pretty sweet thinkpad, with similar specs (a little lower) for around the same money. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1419120&CatId=0

i hate the way they team up on you there to buy the extended warranties on whatever product.

i was buying a cd burner awhile ago and they sat there telling me how crappy all the products were and that they will surely break, just to get me to buy the extended warranty. i had to say no about 6 times.

oh...and then the cashier dropped the videocamera my sister was buying onto the floor, after we'd spent an hour picking it out.

Edited by Guest

dont even get me started on future shop, their laptops, or their warranties.

i purchased their "extended service plan", but as it turns out, its actually an "extended neglect plan"... funny, i didnt notice that in the fine print.

i was without my laptop for 29 days. they forgot about it and it sat on their shelf for 3 whole weeks until i called to get an update on its status (it was supposed to be returned to me within 3 weeks) and they realized what had happened and got all frantic about it... a 3 week wait period turned into a 7 day turn around time when they were up against the ropes... day 30 and they woulda owed me a brand new one, off the floor.

oh, and chances are, that refurbished laptop is a situation similar to this: they couldnt get the repair done in time, so they have to eat it, give the customer a new one, and try to recover some kinda cost from the old one.

i was buying a cd burner awhile ago and they sat there telling me how crappy all the products were and that they will surely break, just to get me to buy the extended warranty. i had to say no about 6 times.

Ha ha. I always throw that back in their face.

"So you're telling me I'm buying a substandard product?"

It's just more fucking insurance. I always feel like I'm at a timeshare presentation when I buy something at stores like Future Shop and Best Buy.

i was buying a cd burner awhile ago and they sat there telling me how crappy all the products were and that they will surely break' date=' just to get me to buy the extended warranty. i had to say no about 6 times.[/quote']

Ha ha. I always throw that back in their face.

"So you're telling me I'm buying a substandard product?"

It's just more fucking insurance. I always feel like I'm at a timeshare presentation when I buy something at stores like Future Shop and Best Buy.

sometimes an extended warranty can really save you money, though... ie: both times my laptop has had to go in for repair, it has been outside of the Manufacturers Warranty period... so yeah, maybe it was gone a month, but i didnt have to drop $300 (x2) on it...

...or if you're buying a camera... ;)

i know in digital cameras, manufacturers warranties are typically 12 months because the highest activity for repairs is between the 12 and 16 month period of a products lifespan.

Don't do the refurb man...My buddy bought one about six months ago. He walked it over to our friends place (less than one block), opened it up, and the bulb in the screen broke. The quote to fix the problem was rediculous...so now, his laptop requires a hookup to a moitor in order for him to do anything on it. Sorta ruins the point of a laptop. But goes to show, you don't know where these things have been before. You should go Mac anyway man...

dont even get me started on future shop, their laptops, or their warranties.

i purchased their "extended service plan", but as it turns out, its actually an "extended neglect plan"... funny, i didnt notice that in the fine print.

Another thing I'll add to guigsy comment is,I bought mine there last year,had issues within a week,returned it no problem got a brand new one,decided I best buy a warranty,so I bought 3 year warranty.(dec.28 2005 - dec 28.2008)

Then I found out that the first year Toshiba includes a warranty,meaning future shop wasn't allowed to touch it,but also meaning their 3 year warranty was suppose to start after Toshiba's but they have included their first year to run concurrent with Toshiba's....I'm currently waiting for a return letter concerning this.Pretty slick...