Jambands.ca

NDP / Other Parties Thread

AD

Well there's lots of Liberal talk on here lately...

Anybody want to comment on some of the other parties?

Apparently the NDP launched some negative ads today.

Good move? Bad move? Any other topics worth mentioning right now?

I'm not too engaged in this election yet, gonna wait til the full platforms are released. (I think they are about a week and a half overdue).

AD

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jimharris.jpg

Jim Harris

this guy DEFINATELY gets my vote

i've been a [color:green]Green Party supporter for years and with Jim running in my area (Toronto-beaches/east york) I don't plan on switching to anyone else

i think the green/ndp vote will be split in this riding which could work out well for the freakin' Libs

the following is just the type of bullshit that keeps the fUcking Conservatives and Liberals in power...

Broadcast Consortium Trying to Exclude Green Party from Leaders' Debate

Act now to ensure the debate includes the Green Party of Canada!

The broadcast consortium that controls the nationally-televised debate is trying to exclude Green Party of Canada leader Jim Harris. This despite the fact that 4.3% of voters voted for the Green Party of Canada in 2004 and polls show that literally millions of Canadians say they would consider voting green in this election.

The Green Party of Canada must be included in the election debate. Please join us in making this happen and protect your rights as a voter to make an informed decision.

I used to think the Green party was a great alternative, but after working with them at Om a few years ago, I don't think so anymore. I couldn't believe how disorganized a party could be.

Among other things, they were planning on bringing a solar panel and selling coffee to raise money, using the solar power to heat it. Well, they forgot the power converter or some other important part, so they couldn't use the solar panel. They wound up buying a bunch of propane or something to heat the coffee... not so green in my opinion.

They also decided they had to have a candidate in every riding last election, which i guess is a good thing, except they had some really terrible candidates who didn't really care at all in some ridings because of it. (They were trying to get the funding if 2% of the population or whatever it is votes for the party).

Last week I saw Jim Harris on the news - he had an talk/question & answer thing for the public, and not a single person showed up...

It's really too bad, because they could be a really great party if they were a little more organized...

A close friend of mine resigned his position with the Green Party of Ontario because of Jim's leadership, complete lack of organization and the fracturing of the party since the change at the top.

However I'd like to have them included in the debate as a fourth distinct option.

I've noticed ads for the Greens in alot of youth publications, and given that the age range of their party skews toward younger folks I think they're hoping to reclaim membership there (to make up for losing older, long-time greens when Jim took the reins).

No Christmas gift is quite as perfect as an unopened one, sitting tantalizingly under the tree. As long as the paper and ribbon remain intact, there is no possibility of disappointment, no thought of wrong sizes or garish colours, no concern about missing batteries or shoddy construction.

For many voters, the Green party is like a still-wrapped gift. What lies beneath the environmentally friendly packaging is an appealing enigma.

TorStar article

Mostly just bumping AD's thread, 'cause I like it.

What benefit would they add to the debates? I mean, even the NDP just get ignored during the debates usually - why would any of the other parties acknowledge the Greens?

I suppose maybe the NDP would, and maybe it would translate into more NDP votes when the NDP more or less said "we agree, but we also think about all these other things too..."

(I admit I'm not up on the Green platform, but I definately see them as unnecessary and bleeding left wing votes better spent with the NDP who IMO provide a more realistic position....)

Sounds like you're discounting their ideas before even hearing them... I don't know their platform now, but i'd like to hear it, and hear it debated alongside the others.

if the bloc can get in the debate, the greens definitely should

AD

Sounds like you're discounting their ideas before even hearing them... I don't know their platform now, but i'd like to hear it, and hear it debated alongside the others.

if the bloc can get in the debate, the greens definitely should

AD

I am discounting them without hearing the specifics of their platform. The reason is they are redundant and a poorly used resource IMO. My understanding is they originally were a 1 issue party, but have moved away from that. Great. But if they are taking other issues seriously, then why would they not attempt to join and influence the left wing party that has at least an iota of making a difference.

Mind you the same can be said about NDPs moving to the Liberal party, and it happens quite a lot (e.g. Trudeau and the current Health Minister) but the difference is a) the Liberals are much much further to the right (I know all the liberals are going to bite back here - but face it, its true) and B) the NDP do have a presence which the Green do not.

However, if the Green was truly concerned with having their voice heard, and the environment brought to the forefront they would throw their what 1 or 2% (or was it 4%?) of votes behind the NDP to boost them from 16% or 20% to 20-24%.

And keep in mind the fact that the NDP ALWAY have a much higher proportion of the popular vote then they do seats. I'm not a stats man, and could be wrong, but to me this means that they get quite close in a lot of ridings. The Green vote may be enough to push them over the hump. It may also mean that more people see the NDP as a viable alternative instead of voting Liberal to keep the PCs out. If not now then by the next election.

And for the record - I believe at the current time that Canada is best served with a Liberal Minority and a strong NDP balance of power. At the current time that is.

So yes, I am discounting the Greens without hearing about their platform. And I feel entirely justified in doing so.