Jambands.ca

Covers bands should play...

gentlemonkey

I'd love to hear a band bust out some Led Zeppelin, but not the obvious ones (like "Rock'n'Roll", or "Whole Lotta Love"). Something like "No Quarter", or maybe "Four Sticks" (or even "Carouselambra", or "Achilles Last Stand").

How about some Squeeze? "Cool For Cats" is an obvious one, but "Another Nail For My Heart" would be good, or even "Tempted".

Ian Dury! If a band could nail "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" while I was in attendance, well, I'd be in attendance fer shure; "Sex And Drugs And Rock And Roll" would be fun, too.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest
Add "Sex And Drugs And Rock And Roll".

I'd love to hear some Clash covers like " Train In Vain " or " Straight To Hell ". Maybe The Who's " Join Together " is one of my favourites that I've never heard covered.

Speaking of covers, Eric Clapton ruined a whole bunch of Robert Johnson tunes on Me & Mr. Johnson.

Edited by Guest

Jaimoe, you're such a damn blues purist, white guys can play the blues too damnit.

And while we're on the cover song subject, a friends moderately successful Canadian rock band (and I'm not naming them) will be playing a NYE show in Toronto, and I have been informed they will be playing a complete album during one of the sets. The album? Nirvana's Nevermind, track for track, beginning to end.

Jaimoe, you're such a damn blues purist, white guys can play the blues too damnit.

I know white guys can play the blues. Jeff Beck, Keith Richards, Duane Allman, Johnny Winter and John Hammond Jr. etc... have proved that. That Claton album is sooo bloody clean and some of the arrangements grate on my ears. Clapton even sings the Johnson songs with a Mississippi dialect. Puke!

i want someone to bust out a phatty Stick It Out (Zappa)... ohhhhhh, new years dream... wex > stick it out > wex.... :D

:) - great tune! Or at least A Token of My Extreme...

I always wish more bands covered Zappa. Years ago CJ and Snail and I caught the band Soup at the Rex in Toronto and when they asked for requests at one point, we shouted out for Zappa. In about two seconds they blasted into

Ooh, the way you love me baby

I get so hard now I could die...

Jaimoe' date=' you're such a damn blues purist, white guys can play the blues too damnit.

[/quote']

I know white guys can play the blues. Jeff Beck, Keith Richards, Duane Allman, Johnny Winter and John Hammond Jr. etc... have proved that. That Claton album is sooo bloody clean and some of the arrangements grate on my ears. Clapton even sings the Johnson songs with a Mississippi dialect. Puke!

Alright fine. I inferred from your comment that Clapton wasn't up to the task of covering Johnson. You read that book....I forget the title, where this young acedemic in the US says that blues has been co-opted by whites and as such has lost all of its intended meaning? I wish I could remember the title, it came out only like 2 years ago, the title was someting about wlaking out of Mississippi or something.....

oh and sorry to accuse you of such music snobbery....just trying to give you a hard time....

oh and sorry to accuse you of such music snobbery....just trying to give you a hard time....

My 'like' is quickly turning to 'love'

Maybe The Who's " Join Together "

Man, it was a DREAM of mine to hear the Dead cover that tune. Luckily I got to hear them cover the Who. Oddly enough, I always wanted to hear them do A Day In The Life with Phil singing Paul's part "Woke up, got out of bed. Dragged a comb across my head."

Needless to say, Phish fucking floored me when I saw them do it at the Ball.

Oh, back to the task at hand............umm.....

Alrighty, either Up From The Skies by Jimi Hendrix or Exit Music For A Film by Radiohead. That would blow my fucking head WIDE apart.