Jambands.ca

Covers bands should play...

gentlemonkey

Sway - Rolling Stones

You should try to get your hands on Alvin Youngblood Hart's blues version on the Stones tribute album, Paint It Blue: Songs Of The Rolling Stones . I bought the CD specifically for Alvin's emotional and searing performance of Sway. It's an excellent tribute album too - featuring top blues artists playing Stones tunes: Taj Mahal, Luther Allison, Alvin ( who also does Moonlight Mile ), Otis Clay, Johnny Copeland, Junior Wells.

Oh yeah, Derek Trucks plays on a few tunes too... one with Luther Allison!

I have a huge immensely dub funk cover of Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" going through my head right now...on the verge of techno, it comes back into the one...but then again, I was burning CDs for Velvet, so that (the music on the CDs, not so much the physical CDs themselves) may have tainted my interpretation* of things.

Aloha,

Brad

* You try spelling "interpretation". ;)

Jaimoe is right, the world needs more Clash covers. Also more Hendrix covers, no one plays Hendrix anymore.

Here's a few favorites I've covered in various bands and loved to play:

Third Stone from the Sun -- Hendrix

Deal -- GD

Soulglue -- Rheostatics

Funky Monks by RHCP's done bluegrass style

Paint it Black done very loud and heavy -- Stones

Face Pollution -- Soundgarden

Muffin Man -- Zappa

Stash by Phish done as an instrumental fast swing tune

And Bradm, I've heard a great Tina Turner cover of Whole Lotta Love, and I've got an old recording of NS band Hu Noo covering No Quarter. oh, and Tool does a good No Quarter cover too.