Jambands.ca

bowie recommendations

livingstoned

damn - I forgot about "I'm Afraid of Americans" whenever I meet new people or someone tells me a story involving Americans I ALWAYS say oh - I'm afraid of Americans....NO one ever seems to get the joke. hahahaha...me I think I'm pretty damn funny....toot toot (my own horn)

ok - it must be friday

k - keep em coming...

Hunky Dory (1971). Fantastic album, one of his best in IMO, and tends to get skipped over.

948.jpg

I'll echo that sentiment... if you do pick it up though avoid the digirally remastered travesty (picked it up for someone as a gift then took it back off them once I heard it and got them something else... hate when some [color:purple]genius ruins a beautiful album)

Starman

Young Americans

golden years

life on mars

all the young dudes

ashes to ashes

changes

man who sold the world

Andy Warhol

Oh' you pretty thing

lady stardust

Isn't "All The Young Dudes" by Mott the Hoople? Or am I on crack? Maybe I'm just drunk...... well, I'm definitely drunk, but I may still be right. May I add to the list of songs:

Rock And Roll Suicide

Teenage Wildlife (from the album "Scary Monsters" with Robert Fripp playing crazy shit...I love that whole album)

My favourite Bowie song is the aforementioned Lady Stardust....

"And it was allllllll right

The band was all together

And it was alllllll right

The song went on forever"

Isn't "All The Young Dudes" by Mott the Hoople? Or am I on crack? Maybe I'm just drunk...... well, I'm definitely drunk, but I may still be right.

It was performed by Mott the Hoople, but it was written by David Bowie specifically for them. I think he produced the album that it appeared on.

I'll echo the sentiment that Low is one of Bowie's best albums.

I'll echo that sentiment... if you do pick it up though avoid the digirally remastered travesty (picked it up for someone as a gift then took it back off them once I heard it and got them something else... hate when some [color:purple]genius ruins a beautiful album)

Aside from the bonus tracks on the first re-master (the Rykodisc version) which can easily be programmed-out, I demand an explanation as to why the re-mastered version is inferior to the original CD (unless you're comparing it to vinyl, in which case I demand no explanation).

Speak.

Hamilton is totally on the ball re: 'All the Young Dudes'. Those guys got famous doing the song, but it was written by Bowie for them. Bowie did do the production of the album, trying to save the band from destruction. I think that they never got the gay references in it until it was already a hit. The line about T-Rex in that song is hilarious, given the tension between Bowie and Bolan.

Legend has it that they were offered 'Suffragette City' but turned it down, thinking that it wasn't a quality song (!).

Here's my Appended list to one of the most original Classic rockers alive. What a character,

Sorrow

Sound and Vision (the Song more than the album)

TVC15!!!

Memory of a Free Festival Pts 1 and 2

Jean Geanie

John, I'm only Dancing

Up the Hill Backwards (one of the better tunes of scarry monsters)

Shitidiot got the rest of my list ;)

Peace,

~W

calling for top 10 bowie recommendations

Albums or songs?

You can't go wrong with the trio of Ziggy albums: Hunky Dory, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, and Aladdin Sane.

I'd also recommend Heathen from his recent output. It hasn't left my 5-disc CD player almost a year after picking it up.