World Beats and Eats - 1 Year Anniversary

January 6th - 2006

Mercury Lounge

56 Byward st. (Sidedoor/upstairs)

[color:green]$8 at the Door

-Benefit for - Baobab Tree

-Eats by - Trattoria Cafe Italia, Eclectic Noodle and Jiapur Bistro

-Beats - Giveaways from Six Degrees Records- In house Beats by Emily Jones

followed by Special Guest DJ Jason Pelletier (Stay House! / Spins & Needles / Techcetera)

-Live Art by - ZEKE - a CLUTCH artist

*****************************************************************************************

The Beneficiary:

World Beats and Eats, in its second year, will be attempting to give to not only the Ottawa artist community but also to groups that touch on the humanities. This first beneficiary, Baobab Tree, is one that has been popping up in my life since I moved here to Ottawa, and is also a perfect example of caring for the humanities through art. Taken from their mission statement, this about sums them up

"THROUGH SINGING, DRUMMING AND DANCING... we bring together people of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, to celebrate the arts and humanity."

The Eats:

-Trattoria Cafe Italia

(254 Preston Street - Corner of Preston & Gladstone- 613-567-4160) - The generosity of Preston street is again showcased by this months donation by the Carrozza family owned Trattoria Italia.

-Eclectic Noodle - Pasta and Wine Bar

(287 E Somerset - Sandy Hill - 613-234-2428) - This funky little spot has been around for around 8 years and has been satisfying the tastes of Ottawa U students and Sandy Hill residents since.

Jaipur Bistro - Indian Inspired Cuisine

(349 Dalhousie Street - 613-241-8535) - This new Byward Market restaurant will present WB&E with healthy Indian inspired cuisine that is bound to excite and intrigue.

The Beats:

Always free CD's to giveaway from Six Degrees Records

Always swanky in house beats.

7-9pm

beats w/ Emily Jones (emilyjones.ca, E18hteen, Social)

9-10:30pm

Special Guest DJ Jason Pelletier (Stay House! / Spins & Needles / Techcetera)

Live Art:

December 2nd the Mercury Lounge launched Rush, a group show by CLUTCH, three days later the pieces by ZEKE sold. This month this artist will be creating more of his work for the world. Come out and BUY IT.

********************************************************************************************

[color:red]January 6th - 2005

Mercury Lounge

56 Byward st. (Sidedoor/upstairs)

$8 at the Door (includes FOOD and MUSIC GIVEAWAYS)

613-789-5324

This is a MONTHLY event (first Friday of the Month) so get your name on the mailing list at the event or Email worldbeatsandeats@sympatico.ca to get the details early for each event!

Brad Campeau

Edited by Guest

Hey! Is that you, Brad?

Great to see you here on jambands.ca! Welcome to the forum!

Also, thanks again for this cool event:

08-31-05 09:40 PM - Post#261473

Sorry this is last minute (next time we do something like this we'll give you guys at least a couple weeks' notice)...

Support Ottawa's literary community! Dusty Owl -- the near-legendary reading series and the micropress publishing house -- will be the beneficiary of this month's World Beats and Eats at the Mercury Lounge (@ 56 Byward Market) Friday evening 7pm. Food, music, art, spoken-word performances, all for $8.

For more info check out:

www.dustyowl.com/news2005.htm

and

www.artengine.ca/worldbeatsandeats/

Heck, while your there, check out these photos (by the way, September is shameless self-promotion month):

www.dustyowl.com/news/phish.htm

...And watch for word of our annual Chocolate House benefit for the Ottawa Food Bank on 18 December.

Also, will I see you at this: www.jambands.ca/sanctuary/showtopic.php?tid/227074/all/1/ ? If not, tell your friends!

I'm not sure if I can make it on the sixth, but I'll tell Cathy and the rest of the Dusty Owl crew! :cool:

Edited by Guest
Poor typing skills cause typos...

I have been takeing alot of time to figure out the criteria for World Beats and Eats Beneficiaries and one of them is that

the Non-profit group contributes to the Ottawa arts and cultural scene in the form of organizing regular events.

I am not sure that Jambands.ca meets that one

I am also attempting to do the Humanity based artist group... tough to figure out but hey.

So far I got these groups set up for 2006 donation

January: Baobab Tree

February: MASC

March: WIAM (One World Filmfest organizers)

April: OSA (Ottawa School of Art)

May: *potentially* Pride

I have been takeing alot of time to figure out the criteria for World Beats and Eats Beneficiaries and one of them is that

Quote:the Non-profit group contributes to the Ottawa arts and cultural scene in the form of organizing regular events.

I am not sure that Jambands.ca meets that one

Ah, well... I had to ask. Maybe if someone starts a Dusty Owl Jambands Performance Series? :)

Will we still see you at the Chocolate House tomorrow?