Jambands.ca

1995.12.31 NYE

ge-off

I went to a lot of great shows in '94 and '95 and this or Halloween '95 is my favourite. Both had a HUGE vibe surrounding them. Visually the whole Time Phactory was pretty unbelievable. Obviously musically it is off the hook but visually it went so much further than anything I had ever experienced. The description with the disc of the New Years moment doesn't quite do it justice. First of all it was odd having the Mike's go into the set break, then all of these white lab coated 'scientists' started wandering around the stage and pulling sheets off of the consoles, Tesla and Van Der Graff, then 3 of them tore off their coats and came to the front of the stage picking up their instruments. Then Father Time was walked out onto the stage and put in a box which was elevated above the stage during Auld Lang Syne reaching it's climax with Fishman popping out having disrobed as a diapered Baby New Year. Not even sure musically what I would say was my favourite set. Certainly Sanity was pretty fucking special bringing poignancy to the third. Although at the time Punch was mine (and so many others) favourite tune so that first set was of course pretty off the hook. The night before wasn't so slouch either.

The illustrious Swan (the next ruler of the universe) has purchased this gem of a show from iTunes and it came with a couple of video tracks (PYITE and Chalkdust) - which he has burned for me...Im wondering if anyone knows if they come with the tangible version? I'm also curious if the real deal comes with any substantial liner notes or photos. Maybe the iTunes videos are a boobie prize for the lack of packaging?

Thanks Kung.

Phish rules.

The other thing that wasn't so bad about that night was that we stumbled out of MSG in an acid haze wondering how we'd ever find our limo back to Conneticut only to see the chauffeur moments after we came out the door. It was a nice drive back to my buddies place in Conneticut after a pit stop at a new years party at the chairman of Coca Cola's house, or rather his son's wing of the house and the boathouse! Like a typical Canadian ingrate I devoured the appetizer and meat platters and went to town on the Sammy Adams kegs freely flowing. Oh former lives where do you go?

So I received the copy that I won off of eBay today, and the dude included a copy of the "Fast Enough For You / Rift" single becuase he was late shipping. I thought that was nice, but didn't care too much... until I opened it up and looked at the disc itself, which has been autographed by all four members of Phish.

Neat-o, mosquito!