Jambands.ca

I hate Christmas...

badams

Cheer up Brad, there's always Boxing Day... you know what I'm saying ;)

I'm working night shifts all weekend including tonight. No Christmas for me this year. I'm furious that the CBC has chosen to air the colourized version of Scrooge with Alastair Sim too. It's on at 10pm. Ted Turner should have been shot when he came up with the idea to colourize films.

Edited by Guest

Watching it right now with the folks. Good call.

I'd like to wish everyone a merry Christmas especially to those in this thread having a rough night. Hopefully something unexpectently great happens for you all tonight.

I've had the flu ever since I got here, have had 4 cavities filled and almost ripped one of my fingers off cleaning out the basement. But my fever broke last night and so did my hate for Christmas, so I know its possible.

The most depressing time of the year :(...

well for me at least.

If it's any consolation, this is statistically speaking the most depressing time of year for people across the board (if not this board particularly), when more people hit the wall and awful things happen. I know I approach it, and experience it, with dread myself every year because of the disheartening family dynamics I have to deal with, not to speak of the horrible, gratuitous consumerism and kitsch and everything that goes along with that. I'm just glad there's NYE to look forward to. Plus, I can at least enjoy it vicariously through my daughters, and know that they can be made happy through it all.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with it being the time of year when there's all this hype about how you're supposed to be happy. Meh. Jesus himself ended up getting a pretty bum deal out of his own birth further on down the road.

I find a little cynicism goes a long way this time of year; hopefully you can find less miserable sources of comfort than mine, though :P.

I'm working night shifts all weekend including tonight.

Same here Dave, I'm on my second of 4 consecutive 12.5 hours night shifts but what the hell someone's got to do it and the overtime will be nice.

Baby Jesus day ain't so bad, I like getting together with family and having a few laughs.

I'm only getting overtime on Christmas since I'm off on Boxing Day. Overtime certainly cusions the blow of working over Christmas. At least no one is around to bother you. The company is picking up our dinner tonight. I'm getting a healthy selection of Chinese food from my favourite restaraunt in Chinatown: Swatow. Nothing says Christmas like feasting on Singapore style vermicelli noodles, shrimp wanton soup, lemon chicken, and beef with black bean sause with rice noodles.

if you find your a path to Ottawa (I'm going to email you every single govy job posting I find) I'll make sure that you enjoy next xmas more than any xmas anyone's ever enjoyed and that ever existed (in hull of course). Well, that'll just come naturally here on the quebec side. What they do here is get loaded and open all of the gifts on xmas eve so your photos of opening gifts aren't filled with people in jammies and bed-heads.

This is the fourth year I have spent Christmas alone. It's my own fault I guess but I find family and friends make me more depressed. I wish it were different for me but it's not. Just have to burry my head and wait it out.

Have you considered volunteering somewhere?

Aloha,

Brad

This is the fourth year I have spent Christmas alone. It's my own fault I guess but I find family and friends make me more depressed. I wish it were different for me but it's not. Just have to burry my head and wait it out.

Have you considered volunteering somewhere?

as in volunteering yourself to take up space on a beach in Cuba sipping girly drinks and soaking up all that vitimin sunshine or enjoying the powdery beaches of costa rica? :)

hmmm...i think i'll consider my own advice for next seasons run. :)

Aloha' date='

Brad[/quote']

Guest Low Roller

Christmas is usually the most complicated time of the year for me because that means it's time to negotiate with the parents as to who I spend my Christmas Eve with (they are divorced you see).

It's really a massively complicated and stressful decision to choose one parent over the other.

Ideally we can all spend xmas together as one big happy family, laughing, and singing Christmas carols while opening presents. But then I remember that even when my folks were together, we never did any of that anyways.

So to all out there who are happy, sad, indifferent, and enraptured, have a Merry Christmas, a Happy Chanukkah, a Festive Kwanza, and a Great Festivus!

It could be worse... you can be working at MuchMusic, watching cheezy campy 80's Christmas videos all day on high rotation.

Hey Jaimoe, can I request "Oi to the World!" by No Doubt?

It could be worse... you can be working at MuchMusic, watching cheezy campy 80's Christmas videos all day on high rotation.

Hey Jaimoe, can I request "Oi to the World!" by No Doubt?

Sure, request away. I'd rather hear that tune than the latest Franz Ferdinand single.

And by the way, Much doesn't air too many cheesy 80's Christmas videos - they would only get in the way of airing great videos by Nickelback, Gwen Stefani and Ashley Simpson.

"This is the fourth year I have spent Christmas alone. It's my own fault I guess but I find family and friends make me more depressed. I wish it were different for me but it's not. Just have to burry my head and wait it out."

Similar situation here but this is my first one away. Hope you figure yourself out dude. It'll do you a world of good if you can set yourself straight for a new year. Christmas should be good times. I've been chillin' and not putting too much stress on the holidays. I went to a christmas eve dinner that my Landlady Extraordinaire threw for all of her tennants here in the west end. Too much food and loads of wine.

It was touching.

for me these days are starkly neutral and if it weren't for the few key experiences that bring me together with people I'd still be pissy. A week and a half ago or so I got out of an incredibly angry phase. I was hoping to get hit by a car so I could justify beating the fuck out of someone. I got over myself finally but still, it's an intense season and I think that some people are sensitive to an overall societal vibe filled with debt, anxiety, frustration, familial hassles, and a new year coming around, us getting into a new year. My mom's birthday is the busiest shopping day of the year and NYE was always a big deal in our house.

that being said, I think my birthday is my key depressing time of year. If I didn't have Come Together a few years in a row I'd be wallowing in a confused state of mind around the long weekend in may.

X-mas flunked this year for me. It can be a little depressing with the whole seasonal affective thing, and a loss in the fam on x-mas day a few years back plus all the usual money, work, dividing time shite. But this year I had a new one... involved in a family fight. Seriously makes you question the whole thing.

We travelled, rushed and hurried our way through christmas only to be chastised and derided for our efforts.

And it brings me to a question... can you ever make everybody happy? And is there anything worse than a disappointed loved one?

I hope you and yours had a better one than us and ours.

And I hope there's better ones ahead for us all.

Thank you to the creators for the vent space.

And it brings me to a question... can you ever make everybody happy?

I think it's possible to make someone happier, but only if the person is first of all capable of being made happier.

But you asked about making "everybody" happy, which is a whole other matter. I don't have access to "everybody", only to a small (relative to the Earth's population) group of people. I hope that I've made some of those people happier; even if I haven't, I haven't seen any evidence that I've made them less happy, which is good enough ("First, do no harm", as the doctor's oath goes); my efforts have also made me happier, and (I believe) without hurting others. (There are no "conservation" laws when it comes to happiness: shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased.)

Thorgnor, I'm saddened by what you said went on for you this year (and in previous years), and I wish there was something I could do to help. (If there is, let me know. At the very least, this space is available for vent.)

Aloha,

Brad

I too am not the biggest christmas fan, although I do celebrate solstice. So about 5 years my best friend and I started a new christmas eve tradition of dosing at midnight. Sure "brightens" christmas up for me. Everyone in my family is drunk by 8 am christmas morning so nobody even notices. This year I couldnt partake because I had to work christmas day and I must say that a psychedelic christmas is much more fun.