Jambands.ca

Patterson Hood's (Drive-By Truckers Top 10 of 2005

NewRider

1. Centro-Matic, "Fort Recovery" (Misra). The album is coming soon, but I stole a copy and it's my favorite album all year.

2. My Morning Jacket, "Z" (ATO/RCA). My favorite album "released" this year.

3. Sufjan Stevens, "Illinois" (Asthmatic Kitty). Brilliant northern Rock.

4. The Dexateens, "Red Dust Rising" (Estrus). Great band from Tuscaloosa. They almost sound as classic as CCR without ripping them or anybody off. Their songs are fantastic.

5. The White Stripes, "Get Behind Me Satan" (Third Man/V2). My favorite of theirs yet. Big fun.

6. Don Chambers and GOAT, "GOAT" (Self-released). Really great local artist. This is one worth seeking out.

7. Common, "Be" (G.O.O.D. Music/Geffen). My favorite hip-hop record this year.

8. Eddie Hinton, "Beautiful Dreams (The Songwriting Sessions Vol. 3)" (Zane). Classic southern soul you've never heard before, better than most you have.

9. John Hiatt, "Master of Disaster" (New West). Have to admit to a bit of nepotism here, as my dad plays bass on it, but I've been a Hiatt fan for 20 years and this is his best album since 1988's "Slow Turning."

10. James McMurtry, "Childish Things" (Compadre). The first album he's made that's close to being as good as his songwriting, which is stellar.