Jambands.ca

whats with Toronto bars...

afro poppa

Whats with Toronto bars and having dress/style codes?

I walked into at least 3 bars tonight (Saturday) that wouldn't allow my friends and I in because we were wearing jeans and tye-dye. Personally, I was extremely upset at this. I feel they make up their dress codes on the spot and because we didn't look like the people they would want in a bar they just shut us down. Not only that, I actually got turned down at one bar because they thought my ID didn't look me, which is ridiculous. They made me feel like a 15 year old trying to sneak into the bar.

This is the first time this has ever happened to me and makes me feel good about living most of my

time these days in a nice town like Guelph.

Now, don't get me wrong, I've lived most of my life in Toronto and have loved every minute of it, the music and people are bar none some of the best I've ever experienced. But tonight really soured me on a lot of it, I hate "dress codes" and I really hate cover charges unless I am actually paying to see a good band...

Alright that's it for my rant...sorry everyone.

Glass half-full or half-empty situation...maybe the fact that you were denied access saved you time & money as the vibe probably wouldn't have been what you were looking for if you couldn't hang at a place in your comfy duds...

I've never been turned away but then again, I generally have a good idea about the bars, pubs and clubs I'm going to.

Toronto, the city that still makes me laugh ;)

I've never been turned away but then again, I generally have a good idea about the bars, pubs and clubs I'm going to.

Yea, usually I have an idea as to where I want to go, but last night we just decided to walk around College and Spadina/Bathurst and bar-hop...I didnt realise so many places would have dress codes, regardless your right I probably didn't want to be in those places that turned me down anyway.

We should've just gone in to Sneaky Dee's...that place always makes for an intriguing night.

I haven't been there since the early 90's' date=' but Badhams, does Stages have a dress code?[/quote']

Yes, the less you wear the better.

What about your second and third homes: Alfie's and The Cocamo?

I havent been to Alfie's in easily 12 to 15 years and Cocamo in 7 at least. It's all about the Grizz for me now.

Yep, Sneaky Dee's is always a safe bet as is The College St. Bar, The Orbit Room (of course ;)), Andy Poolhall is a funky place that you can shoot pool, dance or lounge on crazy furniture, and basically anywhere on that Little Italy strip...and I don't recall any "dress codes" that are enforced...but you did say you were "pretty drunk" so maybe they were just being discreet :P

Guest Low Roller

Dimafleck hit it on the head. If I was running some sort of upscale establishment where I wanted to charge ridiculous amounts of money for drinks to cover the ridiculous rent, I'd definitely screen the patronage going in. It only makes sense. The more upscale it looks inside, the more likely that upscale people with tons of disposable income will want to go in.

Been living in the Annex for 6 years and have never heard of a bar with a dress code.

Unless you hit bars closer to Avenue like Lobby. Where didn't you get in?

Was at Cobalt last night for a bit. Great bar, no dress code and cheap drinks.

Hit some late night Sneaky Dee's too, one of my fav spots. Always good on the $10 pitchers of Kool.

and who says you and your buddies have to wear jeans and a tye dye every damn place you go...

i'm most comfortable in my pajama bottems, slippers and an old beatin sweater..

but if i'm going to a bar...i might consider putting on a NICE pair of jeans...and maybe a button up shirt or somthin...

the encourgment of being a shleprock in the jam scene never made sense to me...just because you listen to a certain kind of music doesn't mean you have to wear a raggady ass lot shirt and only own 1 pair of jeans.

sure at a fest, or when i'm doing a multiple show run or whatever..you get dirty and you're in a mind set where wearing your most comfortable shorts/jeans and a lot shirt that always makes you smile just makes sense..

but i never understood the guys that look like their at a festival no matter where they go...

dude..ITS DECEMBER!! its freezing outside! birks, patch shorts and a jerry shirt you bought at the mall aren't proper attire...

Edited by Guest