Jambands.ca

QotD: 2006-01-10

bradm

What, if any, album made you say, "Oh, now I get it!" I'm talking about musicians/artists you've known of for a long time, but never really "got" (or "got into") that much, until you listen to one record, and bam! you suddenly appreciate the artist the way others do.

For me, it's Talking Heads. I've known of them (from back to the New Wave days in the early '80s), but, even after getting and listening to "Stop Making Sense", they never really did it for me. Over Christmas, though, I acquired the re-issue of "The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads" (which is greatly expanded from the original LP release; each of the two CDs is almost exactly 1h20m), and wow, I now understand it all. I'm amazed at how much a lot of the live Phish I've heard sounds like (or comes close to) this, and how close it gets to flat-out jammy stuff (it never gets there, but I could easily see jams taking off from what the band is doing).

What are yours?

Aloha,

Brad

It's an interesting package. The first disc covers 1977-1979, and features the "core" quartet, while the second disc covers 1980-1981, and features the expanded band that includes the core quartet, plus Adrian Belew, Bernie Worrell, Nona Hendryx, and others.

Aloha,

Brad

You just mentioned Adrian Belew, which got me thinking of the first time I saw King Crimson and saw him actually play that music, fluidly and even casually; all that post-Discipline stuff suddenly became more human somehow, and less otherworldly.

I realise that's not quite an "album" a-ha moment, but it is connected, I figure. I mean, Discipline on its own opened a lot of musical windows for me at the time I first discovered it.

when i was about 19, still raving and hiphopping, i bought Graceland from a cash converters store for $3. it wasnt exactly an eye opener, as i recalled the SNL performance, and of course the popularity of some songs, but it sure turned me onto the real "sir Paul" :) as a kid, i always loved the song 'bernadette.' go figure.

with respect to Tom Waits... my old roommate had an album (black and red cover, title eludes me) and I never really like it too much. once at ghost town, a nice chap named marcel gave me a copy of mule variations and i loved it. still do, cheers to marcel!

I owe more than an enlarged liver to my former alcoholic roommate Stu. For five years, from 1998 to 2003, I endured him cranking constant punk and ska music through " my " stereo, which inevitably helped me finally 'get' The Clash, The Ramones, Stiff Little Fingers, The Specials, Madness and The Sex Pistols.

From that re-introduction, I discovered other important bands like Television, Patti Smith, The MC5, The Stooges, Talking Heads up to modern punkers The Refused and The International Noise Conspiracy.

When I was in my early 20's, I finally "got" Zappa and Miles Davis.

Thanks, NewRider. The supplementary question, especially for situations like yours, NewRider, is this: once you "get it", are you able to go back to the albums you owned before getting it (that you didn't get), and hear them differently, "getting them" more than you did before?

Aloha,

Brad