Jambands.ca

QotD: 2006-01-10

bradm

HA! The two that would do it for me have already been mentioned.

Ween - Live in Chicago (DVD) I absolutely hated this band until i saw that dvd.

WSP - I had heard them numerous times at friends houses but never "got it" until I heard Medicine while tailgating before a Hookah show in a parking lot in Royal Oak, MI

I would even go so far as to say WSP is my favourite band right now...oh how things change.

Court of the Crimson King I think turns off a lot of people (well, gets them as teens but scares them back off later)... albums like Red and Discipline I find are more tailored to the Fripp connoisseur... but if I'm tail-end of the night-ing it and laying on the floor in the dark enjoying the colors on the ceiling, Starless and Bible Black is still the ticket (hm... just made the interesting connection between the title and my preferred listening environment for it after writing that, weird)

Edited by Guest

Grateful Dead :) For me it was having owned One From The Vault for a few years, then listening to it and during the exchange of solos between Jerry and Phil on Eyes Of The World the whole Dead thing finally opened up for me. I haven't been the same since ...

Also, Lovesexy by Prince, Innervisions by Stevie Wonder and side 2 of Ritual De Lo Habitual by Jane's Addiction were major eye openers for me. I often said that the foundation of my music collection is artists I used to hate.

Brad, I've loved The Name Of This Band ... since I got a cassette copy in the early 90s, unfortunately they clipped my favorite track, Crosseyed And Painless :( If you liked that, you should check out Live Phish 15 (or aud recordings of their 1996-10-31 show), where they do an amazing performance of the Remain In Light album.

King Crimson are awesome, one of my favorite parts of Red is Bill Bruford's drumming on One More Red Nightmare. Oddly enough, for me having listened to lots of art rock in my teens then having avoided it in my 20s, it now just keeps sounding better , although I have gotten more into the dark end of it like Van Der Graaf Generator and Tool.

Edited by Guest

Thanks, RnB, I've known about the "Remain In Light" Hallowe'en show for a while, but haven't got around to (finding it and) listening to it.

And "Crosseyed And Painless" is on the 2-CD reissue of "The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads".

Aloha,

Brad

C&P is on the reissue, I got the CD the moment it came out because I was waiting for so long for it to be on CD, but there is a slower paced intro on the original The Name Of This Band version before kicking into the main song that was clipped off when it got to CD.

The Halloween show is great, one of the first of the Halloween "musical costumes" where they really jammed out the songs ... they even did songs that Talking Heads themselves never performed live.