Jambands.ca

Yet another politics thread

Blane

The problem seems to be that if the Conservatives win, the Liberals are not going to want to pull the plug until they have a leadership race and can re-emerge as a refreshed party with a new leader.

The BQ has vowed not to bring down a government, and probably mean it, seeing as they are poised to win as many seats as is reasonably possible this election, and would only stand to lose should another one be called. They will want to sit tight with a strong parliamentary influence hoping for the PQ to take power provincially in a couple of years. The perfect referendum scenario, from their vantage point.

Even if the NDP gains more seats, their influence will be diminished, given the above dynamic.

The Cons probably wouldn't try to push for anything too extreme with a minority, but there will be little appetite to take them down on a confidence motion, at least until the Libs get their house in order. And not taking them down will mean plugging their noses and supporting bills those parties otherwise would oppose.

The big danger is that if the Cons get in, they probably will govern moderately, setting the stage for a majority win the next time ("oh, the Conservatives weren't so bad after all!") and then be able to do the real damage.

Just my .02.

The big danger is that if the Cons get in, they probably will govern moderately, setting the stage for a majority win the next time ("oh, the Conservatives weren't so bad after all!") and then be able to do the real damage.

I think you're probably right there, God forfend. We do seem to like a good spanking now and again, don't we.

Haha. I wish I could post the cover of the new issue of Frank magazine, but it isn't online yet at efrank.ca

Basically it is Harper in a denim-jacket and cowboy hat, with one of the Brokeback Mountain actors behind him with the caption "Backbench Mountain".

The word balloon says "Your lips say no, Stevie, but your eyes say yes, notwithstanding."

I think it will be the Bloc who will cooperate with special favours for Quebec. I still believe that Harper, Klein and all the ethnocentric, wantabe Americans hate the French and would glandly eat freedom fries. They will cooperate with them because they want to help the Bloc get Quebec out of Canada, splintering the country into several pieces hoping that Alberta will eventually be annexed by the Empire of the United States.

Well that's my paranoid prediction.

What got us into this election isn't the sponsership scandal. It was Martin's beleif that he could conduct bussiness as though he had a majority, with hard line policy (this is what we are doing get on board), and not wanting to make deals with the NDP. The scandal was merely a talking point that the opposition leaders, especially Harper, thought they could exploit for political gain. I hope that bastard wasn't right.