Jambands.ca

Howard Stern- numbers

Davey Boy 2.0

wow! (apologies if this has already been posted)

Just three days after starting his new job at Sirius Satellite Radio Inc., Howard Stern is now able to sell the roughly $200-million (all figures U.S.) in Sirius stock that he received as part of his five-year deal with the company.

Sirius's contract with Stern runs through 2010, but the company disclosed last week that it was giving Stern and his agent 34.4 million shares of stock right away because it had already reached certain undisclosed targets for subscriber growth under the deal it signed with Stern in late 2004.

Yesterday, the company made another regulatory filing saying that entities controlled by Stern and his agent, Don Buchwald, would receive the proceeds of the sale of the shares, which could occur at any time. It's not yet clear when or how much they will sell, and Buchwald did not return a call seeking comment.

Nearly all of the stock is going to Stern, but Buchwald also received a substantial chunk: 3.125 million shares, worth nearly $20-million at current share prices, or 10 per cent of the 31.25 million shares that Stern received.

Sirius originally said its deal with the shock jock was worth about $100-million per year in cash and stock over the five years of the contract, or $500-million, including costs for producing and marketing the show. But thanks to the nearly doubling of Sirius's shares since then, the value of the stock portion of the contract went from about $110-million to more than $200-million, making the total deal now worth more than $600-million at current stock prices.

Stern began his broadcasts from Sirius's Manhattan studios on Monday.

Howard sucks and his little side kick ARtie is a idiot suck up and Robin is a stupid suck up too who laughs at frickin nothing and tries to laugh while she's talking to make herself seem less of an annoying idiot.

I swear 1/4 of howard's show is dead air while we wait for numb nuts to say something.

I must say though, in the final weeks of his terrestrial show when they were playing all the thinsg produced by, I don't know, viacom or whatever, the stuff he couldn't take with him, there were sure some shining moments of hilarity.

Oh, and the tapes of him as a kid are very funny too.

But yeah, Howard's an idiot. ANyone else feel this way?

The most I've listened to his show is about 1/2 an hour (IIRC) on the way back from Burlington, VT in Velvet's car (after Ween), and the show bugged the heck out of me. It wasn't the content, it was the way you had three people, each talking about something different, and each of whom would suddenly resurrect a topic they were rambling on minutes before, interrupting one of the others rambling on about something.

Aloha,

Brad

I like Stern although I haven't seen or heard his act for a few years now. I got to know him from his talk show appearances in the late '80s/early '90s (Letterman, Joan Rivers) and always thought he was a blast. I've enjoyed his radio show the few times I've been in the States and able to hear it. I've read a couple of his books, seen his movie and used to tape his TV show when it was on network TV on Saturday nights. I'd probably listen to him regularly if his show was available to me.

the thing that does it for me is this, and he does it without fail every single interview.

he will begin asking questions to someone, anyone, and then when the person goes to answer, he or one of his fuckheads interupts about how their cat shat in the living room or some dumb shit...see, getting angry just thinking about him.

Sometimes I've found the show really hilarious othertimes I really didn't like it. It serves it's purpose of getting people out of bed and off to work though.

His last interview with Jerry Seinfeld was/is one of the funniest things I've heard. It was around the time that Seinfeld was dating that 15 year old girl and Stern asked him if he drove his limo up to the playground and offered lollypops to get the kids inside.

Needless to say it ruined whatever friendship they had and Seinfeld never came back on the show.

That takes balls. Haven't heard anything he's done since Q107 cancelled the show.

i think he's FLIPPIN hilarious.

sometimes it's annoying silly banter and i flip to some musac...but in general, i like him. that was the first radio station i turned on in the morning in my car, and if i did flip it, i'd check back in.

now i download the sirius show through bit torrent an listen to bits...i can't dedicate hours of my evening to listening to it

HATE him. to the point where i get mad at people who like him.

i won't say that i like him, but i found him fascinating to listen to. he draws some surprisingle high-profile guests, and some of them even put him in his place a bit. ringo was on and howard kept on him about how barbara was hot, and finally ringo called him on it. "Come on, man, that's my wife you're talking about." after that, howard was cool and the interview was great. same with stevie wonder. after being badgered about how amazing his sex life must have been as a young guy, when asked for numbers of women, stevie nicely let loose. "come on howard, i'm a full grown man. i ain't gonna tell you my bizness."

i should stress that i was not a regular howard listener. in the mornings on the way to work i'd flip over to him while the cbc sports segment was on metro morning...if he was doing something cool, i'd listen for a while, if nothing else just to get an idea of what the hell he's on about.

i was somewhat impressed with him after the FCC came down on big radio and ressurrected the potty humour laws. he got much more interesting after they made him clean up his act, and way more political. ultimately though he's still pretty low brow, and i'm sure that with free rein on satellite, he might even buy the rights to broadcast maxwebster's bowel movements :)

Edited by Guest
d'oh!

Don't worry about it. You'll just get mad.

Try me, i promise not to bite.

Lazlo is right ( i hate to say ) because I do hate the game and not necessarily the player. That brand of humour just isn't funny to me at all. Its the most unintelligent of all brands of humour (not to say that those who like it are dumb) but it takes no creativity at all to get a hot celebrity in your studio and strap her to a chair and tickle her....funny? sorry, no.

sure he stands up and says what he thinks but does he really think that way or is he thinking about ratings? I'm leaning toward ratings. I'll never forget an interview he did with Andrew Dice Clay years back (i commuted to Windsor three days a week for school and my carpool friend was a HUGE fan) after his supposed comeback. All he did was goad ADC into getting mad at him with mindless cut-offs like i previously described, prompting swearing and the like...ratings. I admire the guy for the groundbreaking he has done as far as pushing limits, but nowadays (is that a real word?) pushing limits is cliché. I can't really argue with a bazillionaire but i do know what funny is and he ain't it.

2 cents, keep the change.

Edited by Guest

i like howard stern. every once in awhile he'll be so over the top i feel a bit dirty afterward (or just change the station altogether), but most of the time, he makes me laugh. those tapes he played that he made when he was a kid had me bursting into spontaneous bouts of laughter for days on end. i really liked the movie private parts and any time i've seen him in an interview he seems like a pretty cool guy, actually. i love it when he has jon stewart on the show.

i'm really mad at sirius canada for trying to stop canadians from hearing him. there are FAR worse things available through the media than howard stern.

i hate howard stern's sidekicks though. yuck. ESPECIALLY ARTIE!!!!!! and whoever does the fuckin' sound effects my god i want to kill them. okay not really kill, but GAD!!!!!!!!! and that snivelling little robin, ewwwwwwwww.

I'd like to round house (Chuck Norris style) Artie (I don't round house girls) and make him go flying into Robin and they bang heads together (ouch!) and then they both go flying to the ground but on the way to the ground hit their heads on the corner of a desk! (OUCH!) Yep, that's what I'd like to do.

I think that comedy is one of the most delicate artforms known to man. In the wrong hands it can be easily devalued and abused and cheapened. In the right hands - and therein lies the minority, in my opinion - it can be as sharp as a machete, emotionally moving and crucial.

In considering Stern, I often find him - and his apparatus of cronies and sidekicks - to be on the wrong side of this equation. I tire quickly of his misogynist tendencies, so lame it hurts. He can be disturbingly self-obsessed. He can take one good riff and jam on it for too long, milking it for more than it's worth.

However, where he shines, for me, is in his inter-personal bits between himself and his staff, and in the occasional hair-raising interview with true celebs. And this is where he enters into the other side of the equation, where his anti-bullshit radar combines with his innate sense of the absurd and brings his comedic skills to the next level. Mix in a healthy disregard for social niceties and you have a potent dangerous mix. I don't agree with much of what he says but I get a good laugh out of hearing him say it. His "sidekicks" - much maligned here - get top marks from me: a good comedy troupe is a rare breed, hard to manage and maintain, and Stern has done it more good than bad over the years, even with some personnel changes. All one has to do is listen to his "competition" (a moot point now I guess with the move to satellite radio) to hear how this brand of comedy can just be plain unfunny: hello Q107's John Derringer. He makes Stern seem like the height of sophistication. He's so unfunny as to be plain dull, like listening to a washing machine.

To hear Stern interview the likes of Paul McCartney was a revelation and must have surely been the most refreshing interview Sir Paul had done in years.

To me, my ears perk up not when he announces some stripers are coming in to pole dance, or whatever. It's when he simply asks a crew member how their weekend went. Cue: gales of laughter from MarcO.

Finally, it is pathetic that we cannot have the choice to hear Stern on Canadian satellite radio. Who's thinking of the children you ask? Not me. I have none. I'm a grown man with my head screwed on relatively tight, I can handle a little social disobedience from a media figure. Bring on Stern. He can be really fucking funny sometimes.