Jambands.ca

I'm really starting to like that Harper guy

GWB

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, He is looking good. Abandoning Kyoto, on board for missle defence, screwing natives, man I can't believe what a job our election operatives have done with this guy. Now if only we can get you all some electronic voting.....

Uh... was that supposed to be in purple?

If Harper wins a majority, I'm thinking seriously about moving to Holland. Or maybe Vermont.

I'm Irish (full blooded) so am considering headin to Costa Rica or Asia until Harper and his goons eventually lose control (lookin like a majority rule now, worst news possible)

being a free thinking, environmentally and socially conscious person who gets stuck living under conservative rule is like being in a grade school class where your teacher hates you from day one... just doesn't like people like you... nothing you can do about it, no one you can complain to and eventually all the other kids hate ya too... been there done that under mulroney, no thanks

Edited by Guest

Well put. I see political conservatives under liberal regimes suffering from a kind of frustration of their expansive will, where political liberals under conservatives are subjected to a real chill. I find the latter much more disturbing.

But these sorts of discussions are always cripppled by the ways terms like "liberal" and "conservative" are understood on either side of the line (sort of life "pro-choice" and "pro-life" - each seeing the other instead as "anti-life" and "anti-choice").

:) i vote to spread the suffering around- a little here, a little there. keep everyone on their toes.

someone in here, i think it was you DEM, posted a little blurb where a person, reflecting on all the negative media surrounding stephen harper (ie, he's evil), asked if they were to be feared as well because they believed in him.

do all the people who are on the verge of electing a conservative majority have to be feared? if stephen harper is hitler, are all these people the modern day gestapo?

or is our society taking a swing? i think as the world continues to globalize we're going to see a massive step away from the welfare state.

I fear those who would abuse their vote by voting against something, as punishment, rather than for something. In the wake of the sponsorship scandal and Harper's good fortune as a result, I can't help but feel that must the case here. It's not like their policies have changed much. The Conservatives are crusing to victory on a negative premise.

I saw a "regular voter" on CHCH last night talking about how sending the Liberals back to power would make the Canada politic akin to a "dictatorship". People like that concern me more than a little because they betray their utter lack of insight as to what a democracy actually is. He's voting Conservative.

i'd say electing a conservative government, coupled with a few reforms, is the closest this country would ever get to a democracy, albeit still far from it. on a very simple scale, left = big government, right = small.

i think there are far more left wingers who are pulling out the strategic voting in order to "STOP THE CONSERVATIVES". to the point where i think that susan powter chick could really come in useful as a last ditch attempt to stop the tide of momentum that's rolling through our country as of late.

Agreed with MarcO. This is mostly about people wanting the Liberal government out, not people reacting against the Liberal government's policies in favour of more conservative ones. Harper has had to make his party look like the Liberal party minus the corruption to gain traction.

left = people having a say in running themselves, which can be twisted to be described as "big government"... right = government running the people, which yes can be described as "small government"

the conservatives are actually a much larger, much more expensive party to manage than the liberals... and they're also exclusive and aloof, try taking your UI appeal to a Conservative MP

Harper is currently running the most expensive campaign ever in Canadian history... victory by brainwash... "we need change" but what change are we getting exactly? a US-like law system leading to higher crime rates (amazingly enough, tougher laws and less social programs does not cure crime, it encourages desperation which results in more crime)... the rich are innocent, the poor are guilty... overall a poorer, lower educated society with less options to establish themselves... the loss of public health care... woo-flippin-hoo

here in Hamilton last weekend the Spectator ran a full front page story slandering the local liberal MP because he 'flipped' a house and made a $150,000 profit... the MP is a real estate agent, poured a lot of money into the house and found a perfect buyer but the story screams "SCANDEL!"... needless to say the Spectator editor is a wealthy conservative who can't wait to start raking in more dough

we'll talk again in 6 years

Edited by Guest

:). i suppose so payce-ley. as much as i normally despise the phrase "agree to disagree" we're all pretty set in our 'ways' around this place. it's just rehashing the same argument over a different issue.

in the words of guigsy, i think i'm gonna tap out. i'm outta the country as of tomorrow until election day so it won't really be that hard to curb my political rants.

six years today. wonder where i'll be.

I always hope for the best, but the pit of my stomach says this isn't good... the stomach is usually right

thing that really bothers me about Harper is the same thing that bothered me about Mulroney... I would feel differently if a broad minded, worldly elder statesman were running as leader of the Conservatives (still miss ya Joe Clark, too bad your party turned on you)... Harper simply acts too tunnel visioned and unimaginative to be running a country... he carefully only says things people want to hear, and discusses his intentions minimally... Winston Churchill he's certainly not... the idea of someone turning the country into America's "Yes Man" sickens me... the whole planet admires us, don't understand why we need a radical change in policy... the average Canadian is selling out over a few dollars they're never going to see... its depressing

oh well, there's always Costa Rica

ps, you're actually quite open to discussion for a Conservative Birdy, even though we disagree... a good quality, cheers

Edited by Guest