Jambands.ca

Digital Camera Question...

rubberdinghy

My mom has a Pentax Optio S55. She got it last year for her birthday. Around Christmas time this year something happened to it. The memory card got all fugged up somehow and basically rendered the camera useless, along with losing all the pictures. Unfortunately she had never put them on her computer.

Anyways, we couldn't figure out what the problem was, so she brought it to the camera store where her friend bought it. The camera guy told her "You shouldn't download pics to the computer, if you disconnect the camera improperly you can destroy your memory card and lose all your pics." He then went on to tell her that she should always take her memory card in to a store and have the photos put directly to disc, and purchase a new memory card.

I think this dude is trying to scare my mom into buying stuff from him because she isn't so techno friendly.

Anyone know anything about this camera? Is this guy talking nonsense? I don't think she's even hooked it up to her computer.

one of my memory cards was rendered useless and I don't know how, but it could have been from taking it out of the camera without teh camera in the off position.

The cards I have, have a lifetime warranty so it was replaced by lexar for free.

e camera guy told her "You shouldn't download pics to the computer, if you disconnect the camera improperly you can destroy your memory card and lose all your pics." He then went on to tell her that she should always take her memory card in to a store and have the photos put directly to disc, and purchase a new memory card.

I thought you meant that she should by a new card EACH time! It's not always easy for non-tech-friendly people to transfer images to the computer. It should be so easy!

Edited by Guest

cards get fucked up generally by some sort of "electro static shock" - common in this time of year, or by taking your memory card OUT or putting it IN with the camera ON... which is what im sure bouche meant to say, and likely what the guy at the store was driving at with ""You shouldn't download pics to the computer, if you disconnect the camera improperly you can destroy your memory card and lose all your pics."... maybe he noticed she wasnt technically savvy and he's trying to help, or perhaps he is trying to screw her... who knows...

but..

her images are likely still on the card, and yes, Henry's has a service where her images could be retrieved... $20 i think it is... it's really hard to fuck the thing up so bad that you cant get the images off with the right recovery software.

and chances are she wont have to get a new card - if you can get them to recover the images, just have them re-format the card and she should be good to go. otherwise, if it's a Sandisk (probbaly the most common on the market right now) it has a 5 yr. over the counter warranty, if indeed it is completely fuckled.

bottom line - take her to henry's, get 'em to recover the shit, and they'll talk to her like a normal human being. if you get one of the managers and you tell 'em you're a friend of mine, maybe they'll give ya a break on the service altogether.... i would. ;)

Canadian Camera Services or something like that, on Albert St. was the place. I just spoke to her again and she felt that she was being strung along. I'll send her to Henry's (is the on Bank St still there?), and she should be good. I'll also see if maybe she's got some kind of warranty on the card. I assume Henry's would do warranty work.

Edited by Guest