Jambands.ca

Jomomma brings their high-energy funk to the Starlight this Saturday!

eDDie mAx

simply put, the single best bassist in the scene.

tough to put down a band that brings the groove/funk, layed down by a top notch rhythm section.

not to mention, kent isn't no slouch on the guitar.

exactly the sort of raving that i was talking about...kinda makes me sad that i can't go...

hope the folks that make it tonight have a blast!

yes what i said was purely to get a rise out of people, no i don't like jomomma in the least. nothing is for everyone. i don't see any advantage in only giving positive feedback.

as a musician i'm far more interested in hearing about why i suck then why i'm good, it helps people grow and develope their ideas. something 99% of "jimbands" need.

whats this "brethren" shit? i judge people based on who they are, not what things they have in common with me. i found " ...their high-energy funk" funny because it makes it sound like they've done something new, hence "their"

personally i couldn't bring myself to write anything like that regarding my own music, i find it a bit pompous. maybe whats his face was joking, maybe not.

for what its worth the bassist and drummer in said band aren't terrible.

i'm well aware that i piss a lot of you off with my attitude towards most things and thats fine, theres an extremely high possibilty i wouldn't waste my spit to insult most of you. sorry to say it but, i don't care what a bunch of drug addicts pretending to be all about music think. i'm solely interested in music, thats why i go to shows, thats why i think dancy boring unoriginal jambands are terrible, because i'm actually listening.

i'm going to go take my stupid hamster nuts into my music room and continue writing material and working on forming something original. the guys in jomomma might consider trying to find a sound outside of bad funk cliches.

i totally support all people out there makiong music, but if you're going to put yourself out there, ypou should be prepared for negative feedback. for every one person who like your band there are thousands who don't.

anyway... keep on making the music that makes you happy and i'll do the same.

Hey dJEd,

I'm guessing that you also wrote some of what's above to get a rise out of people. At least I hope so. And I'm sure that you see the irony of describing Jomomma's description of their music as pompous, given this pompous statement that you made:

"theres an extremely high possibilty i wouldn't waste my spit to insult most of you"

I don't really understand why people feel a need to be nasty toward other people. I like it when people express their personal opinions, including contructive criticism. And opinions about music are in a large part what the Sanctuary is about. But nastiness, even just to get a rise out of people, leaves me shaking my head. There's enough nastiness in the world. This forum was created in part as a sanctuary to discuss things in a positive, intelligent, and tactful way, away from the nastiness that is everywhere.

My two cents.

Oh wait, in my opinion, Jomomma does play high energy, funky music. And Nick Gefucia is a wicked bass player! I've watched 100's of people play bass, I've played bass on and off for 20+ years, and the man lays down extremely fat, funky, rockin' grooves.

Peace, Mark

as a musician i'm far more interested in hearing about why i suck then why i'm good, it helps people grow and develope their ideas.

Then do as you would have others do unto you: you didn't say, in any way, shape, or form, about why (you think) Jomomma sucks, you just said they suck, which is totally negative, totally uninformative, and totally lazy.

When I post something negative about an artist, I try to state, specifically, why I didn't like that artist's music, and, if I can, how I think they could change to make it more enjoyable for me.

I know Jomomma to be an accomplished, musically competent, engaging, and fun band. I'd like to see them play more (esp. in Ottawa, but that's an issue I seem to have with a lot of bands :)), and write more material, but I'd rather see them than a lot of the other bands that are out there.

Aloha,

Brad

simply put, the single best bassist in the scene

Hear fucking hear Tube. Hear fucking hear.

As for Djed's view, I can totally understand feeling that many 'jambands' are pedestrian, but I certainly dont consider Jo to be grouped amongst most of the fluff I have seen. That being said, I havent seen them in over 2 years so maybe they have gone downhill.

Yeah, right Booche...................

I think dJEd read Miles Davis' autobiography and took it to heart a little too much.

NEWS FLASH: YOU'RE NOT MILES DAVIS!

I remember the little phase of saying motherfucker all the time (just like Miles in the book) and not saying anything good about anybody else (just like Miles in the book). Sorry I was so coarse in my earlier post, but I was irked by the fact that you went OUT OF YOUR WAY to insult my friends(who are obviously talented musicians, given the longevity of the band-but not suited to your taste) in a public place that is full of more of their friends. If you really are a musician, and you don't have the talent that Miles Davis did, your attitude will be a hindrance your entire career. You might not see it yet, since you're 23, but you will later. You're better off keeping your mouth shut. Thats my 2 cents.

Edited by Guest

wait, who has thousands of adoring fans?

there is no way musicians speak to one another, i've met people who rip on other bands to the extent that they get in fights and i've met people who only speak good things regardless of how they feel. this brethren stuff is quite frankly, fucking retarded.

i never claimed to be Miles, i'm not even really into him these days, he's stil a huge influence on me, but if you could rub two thoughts together you might have noticed my thoughts regarding individuality in musicians. why would i want to be like any musician? true i say mother fucker, but because i find it funny. yes i rip on people, but i've been doing that since the only band that mattered to me was Nirvana.

LONGEVITY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TALENT!

there is no way musicians speak to one another, i've met people who rip on other bands to the extent that they get in fights and i've met people who only speak good things regardless of how they feel. this brethren stuff is quite frankly, fucking retarded.

OK, one more thing and I'm done with this. You wouldn't think it was "retarded" to have friends that help you out if you saw the difference they could make. If you're a young musician who isn't making a living playing music, but you want to be, your most valuable asset is your friends and the word of mouth support. I've spent a full third of my life so far touring, playing original music, meeting amazing people, and having experiences that I will cherish for the rest of my life ALL because of "brethren"(all who I am eternally grateful to); from the first cover band that I opened for in Charlottetown, to doing a run with moe. You have every right not to give a shit about that; and I don't really care that you don't like Jomomma. My question is this:

theres an extremely high possibilty i wouldn't waste my spit to insult most of you

If thats how you feel, WHAT made you feel you had to come in here and say this:

nice topic, wanker

your band sucks

???

Do you feel better by doing this? I can't fathom any possible justification.

My apologies to everyone else for hijacking this thread due to my defensive reaction. Those 2 pointless insults above really got to me.

Edited by Guest

I don't know man.

Judging by Djed's avatar and tone in this thread I am thinking it's just another case of some negative person who believe's he or she is doing the right thing by staying true to their negative outlook.

Here's a fact, everyone on this planet has a tendancy toward the negative. You are not some amazing crusader, because you spout your opinions loud and unconstructively. I was like that too, it was called my unenlightened youth.

PEI is absolutely right in that bretheren is one of the only things that gets you ahead in this industry.

If you're a schmuck, word will get around and you stay a schmuck.

Now please post some of your tunes and learn how constructive criticsm can work to benefit all.

I don't think there is an passionate music fan in the world that hasn't thought or said, this band sucks. But to post that on this board is so 2000, take that shit to phantasy tour brah. Seriously, if you don't like a band that's fine, but to say they suck is not really constructive. You can say what it is about them you don't like, which is cool. The appreciation of art is purely subjective.

I would like to think that as we cultivate our little Canadian scene here we can go beyond the bashing kind of crap that seems so prevalent south of the boarder.

We should be encouraging to the people that risk themselves and actually get out there and try to make music. Like them or not at least they are out there giving it a try.

Yes it can be frustrating when the music that gets you off doesn't seem to be out there, going to show after show, always coming home slightly disappointed, wondering how the hell all those people were having such a good time. Must be the drugs/booze you think and maybe so, but not every band out there is going to make you have that spiritual experience that music can make you have.

So as a musician, which you said you are, do something about it. form a band get out there and hit the road. As a music fan, I am always on the search for that new and innovative music that takes me to that place that only music like that can. and when I come to check out your band, like it or not I will try to support it and give it a chance, because that what a fan of music does.

That is the kind of Canadian live music scene I want to be a part of.

Edited by Guest

In the interest of showing how level the playing field is, What The Thunder Said had some tracks uploaded last year, and they asked people to listen to and comment on them. I did, and my comments and Deeps' reply are worth reading, I think, for how a review can be negative, but still constructive, and how a musician can react positively to negativity.

Aloha,

Brad

usually you stick up for your fellow brothren. i never see bands bash other bands, its not professional.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! you need to hang with more musicians. musicians are more likely to bash each other because they know what there talking about. trust me all good musicians bash each other.. its what pushes them to be better musicians.

sorry i want no part of this stupid thread but i had to comment on this.

*musicians bash each other in privet or in a brotherly way to push each other to be better.

Edited by Guest