Jambands.ca

QOTD - such & such band sucks

guigsy

so when is it ok to come out and say a band sucks?

i read djed's goodbye thread which lead me to the jomomma high energy funk thread, and it seems a lot of it started because he said they suck. then people tore him a new asshole.

the other side of the coin, for example, is that people come out and say the slip suck all the time, but it rarely, if ever, gets like THAT.

is it because guys in jomomma post here once in a while, so they might read that they suck and be hurt? is it because the slip are a larger american band, and the likelihood of them reading that they suck on this board isnt very high, so its ok to slam 'em?

and i'm only using the slip as an example because of tooly's oh so original post that got me thinking about it.

just wondering about the mentality behind saying a band sucks and then flaming said poster. because a lot of the things said in that jomomma thread could be applied to any band/musician, certainly not just the slip.

the other side of the coin, for example, is that people come out and say the slip suck all the time, but it rarely, if ever, gets like THAT.

I thought The Slip sucks thing was a big joke at this point. I'm just taking a dig at Low Roller whenever I post it.

The whole "this band sucks" is just so dumb to me because I've said the same thing about so many bands I've eventually come to enjoy.

Here ya go:

I'm not into Jomamma. I don't think their sound or their songs are very "novel" or draw me in. It seems like too much of the standard "jamband" sound for my taste. I haven't checked them out a ton, so maybe that's changed, but that's how I feel about them at this point.

VS.

Jomamma blows.

Spot any differences?

replace "the slip" with "any given band". it doesnt matter who the band is, im not making a slip point here.

the point im making is why do people tend to get torn up more often by saying a local band sucks as opposed to a band who isnt local. a band is a band is a band.

Edited by Guest

From what i can recall of The Slip comments, they were based on the band's music and what people did and didn't like about it. Unfortunately, djed's reaction to Jomomma was prompted not by their music, but by the fact they described their live show as "high energy funk." Perceiving this to be "pompous", I guess he felt moved to bring them down a peg. I think if you're going to say a band sucks, you should stick to the music and your reasons for liking or disliking it.

I think it’s perfectly fine to openly say a band sucks if that’s what you believe. I do however think it was wrong of djed to go into a thread and bash a band when they are trying to promote their material or an upcoming show.

But to start your own topic or thread about how much a band sucks is fine by me. But I'm with djed or whatever his name is. Jomomma does suck. Don't get me wrong. There was a time when I thought Jomomma had something good going. Then all of a sudden in my opinion they lost it. Maybe when this new material is polished up I will check them out again. Until that time they will remain in my "that band sucks" category.

I also believe in supporting local music or should I say good local music. If you can't take the heat stay home and continue to play in your mother's basement.

Here ya go:

I'm not into Jomamma. I don't think their sound or their songs are very "novel" or draw me in. It seems like too much of the standard "jamband" sound for my taste. I haven't checked them out a ton, so maybe that's changed, but that's how I feel about them at this point.

VS.

Jomamma blows.

Spot any differences?

So I guess as long as your long winded and polite in saying someone or something sucks thats the difference.

a band is a band is a band.

Ouch. I agree that we're all entitled to opinions (even if we lack eloquence in presenting them)' date=' but I hope you don't really feel that way :crazy: [/quote']

what do you mean?

what does it matter if the music comes from southern ontario or northern california? is music not universal? anyone can make it anywhere, no? whats wrong with thinking these things equal?

The whole "this band sucks" is just so dumb to me because I've said the same thing about so many bands I've eventually come to enjoy.

you took the words right out of my mouth.

there are countless bands that i have spent hours of my life downplaying who turn out to be quite good in the end.

alot of people just like to be different, just as a lot of people like to fit in. sometimes it apeals to somebodys sense of self to claim that they dont like a band just because the majority of people do like them ( or dont). lord knows ive been there. dont deny it, you have too . . .

i still think the stones, ac/dc and nirvana suck though. :P

Edited by Guest

I really think, in the context of a message board such as this one, it has everything to do with personal connections to the band. Many CanJam bands have personal connections to the site, and therefore there's a human element to any criticism. Saying "Grand Theft Bus sucks" suddenly becomes "Dennis, Bob, Graeme and Tim suck," whereas saying the same thing about Phil and Friends doesn't stir up the same response since Phil hasn't been a regular poster here since bradm made that remark about his mom.

Joking and the djED example aside, it can be frustrating to feel limited in what criticism you can offer up of a band (which I have felt both here and at jamhub) when you know that their close friends/avid followers are present and will jump down your throat because of the human element.

Music can come from anywhere as far as I'm concerned; some of my favourite songs ever are un-listenable (and un-repeatable) drunken jams with my own friends. Most would definitely say we suck. I guess I thought you were saying that we should all regard every band with equal respect and accolades; I say ouch because I just don't see the passion in that.

I also think that it's hard not to favour our local artists, as shows here tend to be much more intimate. It's a challenge not to feel a personal blow when someone slights your friends and/or entertainers, especially if it doesn't seem justified or fortified with rational argument.

You're right that we should all accept one anothers opinions as just that (without acting like a bunch of shit-puppets); after all, this is a public forum.

Cheers... I'm late for the Free Times Jam now :o

It's a good question, guigsy, and one of the "challenges" on a message board such as this one, where musicians are friends that post on the board. Finding a balance between honesty and tactfulness/kindness can be tricky.

Having said that, what crossed the line for me in the initial Jomomma thread was not the comments about the band, but the personal insults. Calling people wankers and saying things like "i wouldn't waste my spit to insult most of you" are not comments about a band or a band's music. To be honest, I may not have even posted in the thread if not for those comments. It would be nice if people who decide that they don't like a band's music and want to say so, do so with some tact and respect, but personally, I think personal insults shouldn't happen in a public forum.

If you are going to say that somebody's music sucks, an explanation of why would be nice, especially if the musician is a member on this message board. But personal insults should be kept private, even if there is a reason for the insult.

That's what I'm thinking ...

Peace, Mark

Saying "Grand Theft Bus sucks" suddenly becomes "Dennis, Bob, Graeme and Tim suck".....

Which doesn't make any sense because presumably nice talented people can make music you think just sucks.

As far as I'm concerned, they are putting themselves in the firing line. It's part and parcel of deciding to be public performers.