Jambands.ca

QOTD - such & such band sucks

guigsy

Finding a balance between honesty and tactfulness/kindness can be tricky.

Having said that, what crossed the line for me in the initial Jomomma thread was not the comments about the band, but the personal insults. Calling people wankers and saying things like "i wouldn't waste my spit to insult most of you" are not comments about a band or a band's music. To be honest, I may not have even posted in the thread if not for those comments. It would be nice if people who decide that they don't like a band's music and want to say so, do so with some tact and respect, but personally, I think personal insults shouldn't happen in a public forum.

If you are going to say that somebody's music sucks, an explanation of why would be nice

Peace, Mark

what he said!

it seemed to me that dJEd got backed into a corner and rather than trying to explain what he meant by the band "sucking" when people challened him on this, he came out swinging and saying most of us on here "suck" Now that's alot of people with their knickers in a knot for 2 very different reasons.

what the hell is wrong with kindness and tact, people?

My issue with dJEd initially started with him just being plain, unjustifiably rude. So I was rude back(I was in a bad mood). Then we got into some other shit that I wish never happened. I don't really believe that he "wasted his spit" in said thread "just to get a rise", because he acheived his goal and should be celebrating instead of "quitting the board". I think his posts were solely intended to be rude and I called him on it.

In regard to the "such and such band sucks", why don't these musically knowledgable people(no sarcasm) talk about something they like instead of something they don't like? Are they trying to convert other people to their point of view? Trying to convince someone else that its wrong to take enjoyment out of something? I think that just about everyone who makes music has something to say, and that there's something to be learned from just about all of it. I say this because I love all kinds of music. Sometimes when I'm listening to horrible top 40 pop music, I'll just stop for a second, zone out and think to myself "the producer who made this is one of the most talented producers in the industry; there's something really good about this." Now I KNOW not many people are going to be with me on that!! I think my point is I always try to enjoy just about anything I hear. If you've got a "too cool for school" attitude, you are going to miss out on a lot of music that give a lot of different people a lot of pleasure.

I also think I'm rambling a lot; somebody can now shoot my opinions full of holes, because I am the worst debater on the planet.

P.S. My opinions concerning this subject have changed remarkably over the last decade.

Edited by Guest

Guest Low Roller

I think the rule is that a single person cannot proclaim a band sucks unless he has some sort of credible voice in the music scene (i.e. Jools Holland).

A group of individuals with a common opinion on the lameness of the band can say that, upon consultation, the conclusion has been drawn that the band is no good. But once again, it is considered poor form to say that a band sucks.

If a band draws nobody to their shows except girlfriends and parents, then, boy, they must suck.

Despite this rule I will maintain my claim that the Slip suck.

I feel that music is very personal so anyone has the right to say any particular band sucks. It's completely based on personal taste.

However just stating something sucks or delivering a compelling arguement on why it sucks are two different things. I prefer the latter personally.

I guess I thought you were saying that we should all regard every band with equal respect and accolades; I say ouch because I just don't see the passion in that.

no, i wasnt saying that. and you're right, there isnt much passion in that.

i guess what im saying is that immunity should not be given based on locale.

as for djed's personal attack's, both given and received, well thats what happens on this board when people start going off. and if anyone hasnt learned that by now, i have to ask if you've been paying attention? haha. this place can get scathing with the snap of a finger (and im no angel, either). but i was strictly talking about how the thing got started.

be-yoo.

Thanks for explaning it the way it is.

I know I could personally care less what someone thinks about a band. I don't know why someone would feel the need to say something about a band they don't like. Maybe it makes them feel better about their own music....thatS if they are even musicians!!

Oh and I almost forgot...I think its great that Jomomma are doing something they love and I imagine they are having fun too. Thats probably more than these jokers posting negative posts can say!!

I THINK you just nailed it there, Basher ;).

As did Scottieking, saying

I think...
[sic]
... in general it's easy to throw stones on the internet. And it's easier to throw those stones if the people you are throwing the stones at don't know you are throwing the stones.

I can think of plenty of things I've put out here that I wouldn't have dreamed of saying in meatspace (time will tell if I'm getting any better at this).

The odd thing, though, is that there's this backspace key in front of me that I do take lots of advantage of, when I have the good sense to; sure wish I had one of those for my mouth sometimes.