Jambands.ca

Happy Birthday, Mozart

Dr_Evil_Mouse

Funny, I was just about to post that! I would love to see Mozart show up today in a time machine and hear what he would have to say about the internet, music downloads and music sharing.

Austrian-born composer, whose musical gifts were prominent at a strikingly early age. By four, Mozart began playing the keyboard, composing his first pieces by age five and mastering the violin. In 1767, he and his family moved to Vienna, where he wrote “opera buffa”, “La finta semplice”, “Singspiel”, and in 1769, “Bastien und Bastienne”. By 1772, he had written his first quartets and approximately 25 symphonies, though some have been lost. He composed two operas between 1775 and 1776, five violin concertos, the Haffner Serenade, and masses for Salzburg Court Chapel. After his mother passed away in 1778, he composed the Paris symphony. Mozart happily married in 1782, though he was burdened with financial difficulties. In 1784, he became a freemason and produced six piano concertos that same year. His list of masterpieces is seemingly endless. He died before his work was finished after a three-week fever, though no convincing evidence to the cause has come to light.

Funny, I was just about to post that! I would love to see Mozart show up today in a time machine and hear what he would have to say about the internet, music downloads and music sharing.

Hey, Beethoven came to San Dimas, Mozart could show up anywhere.

billted.jpg

AD

Think of all the music we have lost out on because of his tragic death. If only he lived on, he could still be writing great music.

All kidding aside, I worked a show at the NAC that was a Mozart tribute last Saturday, and man, could that guy write a melody huh?

What music from our generation will still be commonly heard in 250 years?