Jambands.ca

What the Fack where they thinking?

SevenSeasJim

Bikers die in Lake Simcoe plunge

Last updated Jan 30 2006 09:20 AM EST

CBC News

Two men are dead and a third was treated for hypothermia after their [color:red]motorcycles fell through the ice on Lake Simcoe early Sunday.

York Regional Police say the three men were riding across the lake on two motorcycles at around 3:30 a.m. when they went into the water between Snake and Fox islands.

The lone survivor, a 22-year-old man, was a passenger on one of the motorcycles.

Investigators say he was able to leap clear as the motorcycle went into the water, and made his way to a patch of ice, where he called police with his cellphone.

The other two men fell into the water, where they apparently died of hypothermia.

Members of the Innisfil Fire Department found the survivor at about 8 a.m. Sunday.

He was taken to hospital, where he was treated for hypothermia.

The bodies of his two companions were recovered from the lake on Sunday afternoon.

Edited by Guest

snowmobiling is a big winter "sport" around these parts...and these noisy beasts are also, [color:red]just like motorcycles, often driven on (and sometimes through) river ice. It's draft, I know...but methinks "impaired judgment" answers the question in the title of this thread...they weren't thinking!!!

We just had a snowmobile death in the village 2 weeks ago and buddy had been drinking and crashed into a tree. Turns out that booze is implicated in over 50% of snowmobile accidents --- double the number of just 5 years ago, apparently!!

It's crazy, and I asked the same quesion you did SSJ...drinking and driving is never smart, but at least in a car, you have seat belts and air bags....what exactly do you have on a snowmobile that would make you think drinking and driving it is a wise move.....?

Edited by Guest
helping SSJ "see"

snowmobiling is a big winter "sport" around these parts...and these noisy beasts are often driven on (and sometimes through) river ice. It's draft, I know...but methinks "impaired judgment" answers the question in the title of this thread...they weren't thinking!!!

We just had a snowmobile death in the village 2 weeks ago and buddy had been drinking and crashed into a tree. Turns out that booze is implicated in over 50% of snowmobile accidents --- double the number of just 5 years ago, apparently!!

It's crazy, and I asked the same quesion you did SSJ...drinking and driving is never smart, but at least in a car, you have seat belts and air bags....what exactly do you have on a snowmobile that would make you think drinking and driving it is a wise move.....?

You did see the Motorcycle part of the story right?