Jambands.ca

Coachella Festival News

Jaimoe

I've been enticed to go in past years (my girlfriend almost booked a flight last year), but I love only two bands in this year's early list... and those two bands ain't Depeche Mode and Franz Ferdinand.

From Rolling Stone:

Depeche Mode, Tool Lead Coachella

Franz Ferdinand, My Morning Jacket, Bloc Party also make the bill

Hard rockers Tool join art rockers Depeche Mode as headliners for the seventh annual Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, taking place April 29th and 30th at Empire Polo Field in Indio, California. This will be the first U.S. performance for Tool since 2002.

Depeche Mode, who will close the first day, join the festival's history of revisiting influential Eighties groups, with past events headlined by the Cure, the Beastie Boys and the Pixies. And Tool, who joined Rage Against the Machine on the debut festival's closing night in 1999, will headline the Sunday lineup.

Other acts among the eighty slated to perform include New Wavers Franz Ferdinand and Bloc Party, last year's breakout rockers My Morning Jacket, disco darlings Scissor Sisters, and Brooklyn indies the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and TV on the Radio. Mellower artists include alt-folkie Cat Power and ambient Icelandic outfit Sigur Ros. Common and Tricky bring the beats, along with DJs Danger Mouse and Paul Oakenfold, and reggae's younger generation is represented by Damian Marley and Hasidic rasta Matisyahu.

A DVD of the new documentary Coachella, which features two hours of performances from the last six festivals -- by a diverse range of artists, from the Red Hot Chili Peppers to the Arcade Fire -- is available for pre-order with the 2006 event's two-day pass.

Last year, an estimated 50,000 fans attended each day of the two-day festival, which hosted the likes of Coldplay, Nine Inch Nails, Wilco and Weezer.

Tickets for Coachella will go on sale Saturday, February 4th.

ALEX MAR

Edited by Guest

I went last year and it was awesome. Sadly this year's announcement means I can make it to the Willie Nelson show in Ottawa on April 28. Unless I change my mind. :)

Almost full list from Goldenvoice:

Saturday, April 29th

Depeche Mode, Franz Ferdinand, Sigur Ros, Common, Damian Marley, Atmosphere, Carl Cox, My Morning Jacket, Ladytron , Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Tosca, Cat Power, Animal Collective, HARD-fi, Derrick Carter, Devendra Banhart, She Wants Revenge, The Walkmen, The Juan Maclean, Audio Bullys, Imogen Heap, Lady Sovereign, Deerhoof, The Duke Spirit, Editors, stellastarr*, Lyrics Born, Matt Costa, The New Amsterdams, The Zutons, Platinum Piped Pipers, White Rose Movement, Chris Liberator, Colette, Joey Beltram, Hybrid, Wolfmother, The Like, Living Things, Nine Black Alps, The Section Quartet, Infadels, Youth Group, Shy FX & T Power, Infusion.

Sunday, April 30th

Tool, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bloc Party, Paul Oakenfold, Scissor Sisters, Matisyahu, James Blunt, TV on the Radio, Sleater-Kinney , Mogwai, Coheed and Cambria, Gnarls Barkley, Coldcut, Phoenix, Digable Planets, Amadou & Mariam, Little Louie Vega, Mylo (DJ Set), Seu Jorge, Wolf Parade, The Go! Team, Kaskade, Metric, Art Brut, Dungen, The Dears, Jamie Lidell, The Magic Numbers, Los Amigos Invisibles, Jazzanova, Michael Mayer, Mates of State, Gilles Peterson, Gabriel & Dresden, The Subways, Minus the Bear, Be Your Own Pet, Giant Drag, Kristina Sky, The Octopus Project.

dammit, every year i hear about this festival, i gasp & then get really sad i'm not going. maybe one of these days....

A DVD of the new documentary Coachella, which features two hours of performances from the last six festivals -- by a diverse range of artists, from the Red Hot Chili Peppers to the Arcade Fire -- is available for pre-order with the 2006 event's two-day pass.

i'd really like to see that

Joey Beltram

wow, does that name ever bring back memories! or actually, upon closer inspection, i guess that would more accurately be very foggy to complete lack of memories. ;)

If Tool really was a last mintue fill-in, Coachella scored BIG. I don't think they've played a show since 2002. New album rumoured to be coming May 1st.

Edit to say: "This will be the first U.S. performance for Tool since 2002." Yes, I can read.

Edited by Guest

TOOL headlined the first Coachella in 1999, complete with nude acrobats hanging above the stage....

Lots of backlash about TOOL in the lineup on the Coachella boards, but they have a new disc coming out this spring, and agreed, the crowd will definitely be amazing.

AD

Last year we flew to LAX, rented a car, drove to Indio, it was about 3 hours from the airport to the site.

Flights to the smaller airports were not convenient or cheap, and renting a car was about US$40 for the 3-day weekend, plus we needed to carry groceries etc...

If I were you I'd fly and drive. Once you get out of LA there's some nice scenery as well, and thousands and thousands of windmills.

Let me know if you need any more advice, the memories of last year are still fresh in my mind.

AD

thanks ad.

i was just wondering because detroit flies direct to all three airports and the smaller the better, imo. as for flight frequency i may have more options to work with if we go into lax. for driving i wasn't sure if it made a difference.

did you camp before? if so, what's the camping area like?

thanks for your help. :)