Jambands.ca

Lasting Albums Of New Millenium?

Kenton Augerman, host of "Super Cool Wagon" on CKMS 100.3 (Univ Of Waterloo radio) recently sent out a note to his listenership asking us if we think any of the albums that have been released so far this millenium will be "lasting markers". Essentially, which albums will stand the proverbial test of time and still be great in 2011, 2021, 2031, 2041, etc. Ideas?

I reponded with Dylan's LOVE AND THEFT. Although I think alot of great music has been released, that was the only one I could think of that would truely stand the test of time.

I'd like to think great blues artists and their albums will be remembered with importance and significance this millenium, like Buddy Guy's "Sweet Tea" and R.L. Burnside's "A Bothered Mind". Unfortuantely, the blues will be a dead musical genre sooner rather than later.

Kenton will be putting together some kind of playlist at some time. I'll post it when I get it. From the emails that I've seen so far Wilco's YHF was probably the most popular choice, Praire Wind was up there. Jamioe you are correct that there were ALOT of hip hop albums posted (K-OS, Outcast, Kanye West). Not my cup of tea but it seems many feel there are alot of landmark hip hop albums that are taking that genre in a new direction (hopefully away from the bling-bling generation).

I LOVE all the above choices but i have to throw Sufjan Stevens Illinois in here as well... hauntingly beautiful akin to Flaming Lips Yoshimi crossed with Iron and Wine... at least thats my take.. its an incredible piece of work...

i'm diggin' the Sufjan POG..

it's growing on me

thanks man