Jambands.ca

Umphrey's opening for DMB

gentlemonkey

anyone that thinks this is a bad move for umphrey's and that they won't gain new fans is kidding themselves....

just being on a bill with DMB gets the name of your band seen by hundres of thousands of people...and even if they don't see you play...they get to see your name...which is HUGE. "hey, wnana go see umphrey's?? ", "aren't they that band that opened up for davE? ...yeah sure"

secondly..

"

I certainly don't think that Umphrey's will get a lot of exposure opening for a band that has a fanbase that cream's in their pants when they hear 'Crash Into Me'.....it's kind of a clash of genre's."

thats a pretty false generalization...i mean thats like saying "jamband fans are a bunch of drugged out weirdos with no fashion sense"

actually...nevermind.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fans that go and see Dave in Canada are not hippies (they are mostly middle-aged women!!) In the USA it is a little different as Dave is still a Frat band...I just don't understand why they would waste prime summer dates opening for DMB!

DMB bashing is so 2002.

ok then, just so I know: when someone announces tour dates for a band, it is considered ok - one's "perogative" - to enter the thread and put down the band and announce that they won't be attending a show?

MarcO, I respect you as a person, and respect your opinion, but I think you are being a total tool here. This thread was NOT announcing DMB dates, it was announcing the great bands that are opening for DMB. I then stated that in a similar predicament, I regretted going to a DMB show just for the opener, and won't be doing that again, which is 100% on point Now, get the knot out of you panties, would ya?

I didn't mean the entire DMB fanbase....but you have to admit that in the past decade the majority of DMB fans have been girl's who want to stare at Dave on a big screen rather than sit back and appreciate the jams of Boyd Tinsley, LeRoi Moore, and Carter Beauford.

Maybe they would listen to UM if Dave made a guest appearance during their opening set.

Dave has lost it in recent years (he used to be one of my favs back in 95)

Also Umphrey's is not a band that needs to sell out to get phans....the college kids that go and see Dave are much different than those I saw at the Umphreys show in Michigan!!

a large core of the fanbase are a bunch of american baffoons....

the last time i saw dave was at darien lake last year and it was a blast.

in the lot, this one guy would belly flop into a gigantic mud puddle for quarters and beers. it was incredible.....and everyone would cheer and go crazy... it reminded me of that simpsons episode when all the simpson men stood in a circle and watched two guys ram each other with pots on their heads...

as i was watching this guy dive into a puddle, 3 girls were walking around with a sign that said "BOOBS FOR BEERS" .... i called them over and said "u ladies sure about this?? all i have is busch light" .... best 90 cents i've spent in a while..

inside the show people wouldn't shut their mouths and the girls were too easy...it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

in a different mind set, i could see myself really hating it...but my friends and i just rolled with it and had a blast... at least american dave fans know how to party... toronto dave fans are a bunch of stuck up rich kids from the burbs.

Edited by Guest

I also can't believe how much criticism of them seems to have so little to do with their music. The stereotypical digs at DMBs fanbase I see are pathetic.

It feels so good to be proven so correct. Thank you, friends.

Edited by Guest

Say what you will about Dave Matthews Band, but he's all class when it comes to opening bands. He goes out of his way to pick quality bands that could either use some more exposure or that he really enjoys, and he also makes the class move of personally introducing the opener on stage every night.

As for whether or not this is a good move for Umphrey's, I can't believe anyone would say it isn't. Although there are a fair number of younger "pop" fans at DMB shows, there are also a large number of people who genuinely appreciate quality music, although they often get overshadowed by the drunken 21 and under ccrowd. I think people have been a little too quick to generalize in this thread.

This reminds me of when I go to Blue Jay games and there's a bunch of little kids there screaming for autographs. I just want to kick em. The nerve...they dont know baseball!! They think the whole sport is defined by one guy who hits 70 Homeruns a year. Foolishness! Dont they realize that the only people who are supposed to watch are 18-45 year-old males who actually know what they're talking about?

why play an opening slot for a huge million album selling artist? Maybe exposure? ya know' date=' get some new fans...[/quote']

sounds like a good idea but rarely works. bands like the Mule and Umphrey's would gain a bigger fan base opening for James Taylor because their audiance isn't screaming teenage girls waiting to see how hot he looks when he comes out.

Say, aren't a couple of the guys in Umphrey's pretty hot? This might not be a bad thing.

The only difference between Canadian and American DMB fans is maybe a little class... I don't know, I haven't seen DMB in the States. 90% of the crowd are morons, after six shows I can safely say these people are morons.

Maybe I'm wrong... maybe the next time UM or the Mule come around some of these rich ass, snot nosed loser kids will come out. Unfortunately Warren Haynes just isn't the sex symbol he used to be. I'd sleep better at night knowing that these kids cry when Dave plays "Two Step" and stay the fuck out of Mule shows. That goes for Dima too!

I'd just like to point out that according to jambands.com, some of the opening acts were artists selected by DMB fans

"Earlier this month, the Dave Matthews Band asked its fans to submit five candidates for the high-profile opening spot on its summer tour."

So maybe those dippy blonde chicks bouncing around creaming themselves at DMB shows actually really dig good music like Umphrey's.

Maybe it had nothing to do with the fans choosing. Either way, being associated with DMB by opening for them is not a bad thing for any bands career.