Jambands.ca

New forum for recipes is here

bouche

After forgetting numerous times to create this forum, I eventually remembered.

I really think this forum would fly really well if the only posts made here were recipes and have a seperate forum for food chat. If it starts getting cluttered, maybe that would be the best way to go. For now, just keep the topics food-related.

To keep the forum clean, there will be a moderater that will move non-complying posts to the General forum or just simply delete them.

Basically, create the topic title as the recipe name, and then add your recipe in the post with directions.

There are tons of recipe sites out there if you need to find a standard format. Here's a basic recipe example: This is also a great place to use the forums LIST markup. There's an icon that looks like a list in the full add post interface.

(I randomly picked the following from allrecipes.com)

Chicken Coconut Curry

INGREDIENTS:

• 6 bone-in chicken breast halves, skinless
  • 3 medium carrots, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons ground curry powder
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon hot water
  • 1 (10 ounce) can coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup apples - peeled, cored and shredded

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large skillet over medium heat, evenly brown the chicken breast halves. Mix in carrots, celery, and onions. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender.

2. In a small bowl, mix the curry powder and flour with hot water. Blend in coconut milk, forming a thick paste.

3. Mix curry powder paste, remaining coconut milk, raisins, and apple into the skillet. Thoroughly coat chicken with the mixture. Cover, and reduce heat. Simmer 30 to 45 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.

• 1 year later...

So last night I had a whole chicken to cook for dinner. Instead of wasting anything I roasted the carcass on the BBQ while I waited for it to heat up and made a pot of chicken stock. We had 3 bags of the mini carrots in the fridge and from there I ended up back to the soup recipe. Its on the stove simmering right now. I reccommend you add a nice dollop of unsweetened whip cream or sour creme to this soup when you serve it to aerate the flavours and leave a nice velvety texture in your mouth.

M.O.B.E's Carrot and Ginger Soup

Ginger and Carrot Soup

4 large peeled diced carrots

1/2 onion diced

2 tsp of fresh chopped ginger

1-2 Bay leaves

1 liter of vegetable broth**

salt and pepper to taste

1. In a large sauce pan, saute the carrot and the onion and half ginger, until soft.

2. Add the stock and bring to a boil.

3. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

4. Puree in a blender and or with a hand blender and add the rest of the ginger.

5. Serve hot. A small spoonful of unsweetened whip cream may be added to the soup when its served to smooth the flavour and texture.

** Chicken broth can also be substituted.

As I said in the previous post I had a whole chicken to roast lst night. I did take it all apart so as to save cooking time. Anything with bones attached requires almost twice the cooking time. I used the carcass for the soup but the good bits all went into a fantastic grilled/roasted chicken.

[color:blue]M.O.B.E.'S Chickty China Chinese Chicken Marinade

5-6 TBSP Sesame Oil

3-4 TBSP of Canola or Veg Oil ****

1 TBSP Coriander seed or 3 TBSP of chopped Cilantro

1/2 TBSP of dried mustard.

1/4 cup of Soya Sauce. Light or dark doesnt matter

3 TBSP of Maple Syrup.

Allow to marinade for 24hours if possible if not its still good for an hour.

**** DO NOT use Olive Oil. You will taste the olive through the marinade. Any neutral oil will do as long as you make it half and half with the Sesame. Sesame oil has a real low smoke point so be careful it will burn. I also wouldnt use grapeseed oil because it also has a low smoke point.

I used my rack to roast this chicken in the BBQ. I used the rack to raise it up from the flame so I could leave the lid closed. I wouldnt reccomend putting the chicken right on the grill and closing the lid. If you dont have a rack cook over medium-low heat to avoid scorching.

This a sobet I used in a Chef Battle that I won, I used this rosemary sorbet as intermezzo or palate refresher after Gazpacho.

Rosemary Sorbet with Balsamic Glaze

2 cups of water

1 cup of sugar

3 or 4 sprigs of Rosemary

Lemon juice or zest.

1/2 cup of Balsamic Vinegar

1. Bring water, sugar, rosemary, lemon zest to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes.

2. Pour into a baking tray or some kind of flat dish.

3. Freeze.

4. Score the frozen mixture with a fork to break up the ice crystals after about 25 minutes and freeze again for another 25 minutes.

5. Reduce Balsamic Vinegar over medium heat.

6. Drizzle the Balsamic Syrup over the Sorbet when just ready to serve.

Fruit sorbet is the easiest thing to make in the world. Have fun with it. There really is no rules just dont add booze till after it is frozen or it wont freeze properely

[color:blue]

Fruit Sorbet

To a blender add the following

4 cups of chopped fruits of your choosing or berries

1 cup of any kind of fruit juice

2 cups of Simple Syrup*****

zest and juice of half a lemon.

Freeze in a cake pan. The more area the liquid takes up the faster it will freeze. Score with a fork or hand blender after 25 min and repeat again after another 25 minutes. Use a fork to break it up before serving.

****Simple Syrup

1cup of water = 1cup of sugar

2cups=2cups etc

bring to a boil and then remove from the heat.

• 11 months later...

This recipe has been a family favourite for years. Every time I make it people rave about it so I thought I would share the recipe.

2 eggs (I usually coddle the eggs- place in hot water for a couple of minutes- for food safety reasons)

3 cloves of garlic

3 anchovies (or a good squirt of anchovie paste)

1 T worchestershire sauce

1 splash tabasco

2 T lemon juice

2 T red wine vinegar

1 T dijon

1/2 t salt

1/2 t pepper

3/4 cup E.V.O.O.

Blend 'till smooth.

Toss with romaine, lots of parm, bacon and croutons.

enjoy.

*T=Tablespoon

*t=teaspoon

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Just tried this recipe the other day Yum! Thought I would share.

Pear and Banana Crisp

3 firm ripe pears

1 tbsp (15 mL)butter

3 tbsp (45 mL) packed brown sugar

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1 pinch grated nutmeg

6 bananas, sliced

Topping:

3/4 cup(175 mL) all-purpose flour

1/2 cup(125 mL) packed brown sugar

1/4 cup(50 mL) granulated sugar

1/3 cup(75 mL) cold butter

Preparation:

Peel pears; cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes. In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; cook pears, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, stirring occasionally, until softened and sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Stir in bananas. Divide among six 1-cup (250 mL) ramekins; set aside.

Topping:

In bowl, combine flour and brown and granulated sugars; using fingers, rub in butter until size of small peas with a few larger pieces. Divide among ramekins; press to make firm. Bake on rimmed baking sheet in 350°F (180°C) oven until bubbly and golden, about 30 minutes. (Make-ahead: Cover and store at room temperature for up to 24 hours. Reheat in 350°F/180°C oven for 10 minutes.)

Variation: Add 2 oz (60 g) bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, to topping.