Jambands.ca

Lauzon music ROXOR!

bouche

My Washburn acoustic, that I've had for at least 15 years had a pickup installed as a gift for me a couple of years back. Purchased at Lauzon's, it was connected to the existing hookup on the bottom quarter of the body and sounded so frikken nice, especially compared to the original electronics.

Unfortunately, the surrounding wood depriciated and eventually collapsed after a good ol' party at our house. I woke up one morning and the jack hole was inside the guitar.

I brought my Washburn to Lauzon's last weekend and today I picked it up! They replaced the hole with a piece of Rosewood (check out the grain matchup!), and moved the jack to the standard bottom position. They also installed a nice set of hybrid Gortex coated strings and the fucking thing sounds INCREDIBLE!

I sure hope some of you musicians take the time to stop in there. They have the one and only Trey Martin guitar that exists in Canada and it's oly about $5000. That's a nice example of the class of instruments that they carry.

Thanks to this wonderful experience, I'm staging appointments for all of my guitars over the next few weeks at Lauzon Music

Edited by Guest

I want to know - after having vouched for the high quality of the repair on your acoustic, of course, which is in fact pretty remarkable - why it is that the "grain matchup" picture is backwards (unless the name of the band on your shirt is in fact "oreN").

That said, I think you've convinced me of the place to take my babies, should God willing anything ever happen to them (now that we've got a rabbit in the house, who knows what might happen).

true story, I was wearing a nero shirt (the one with oren written in small letters between the larger NERO lettering, if you can understand what I mean) and some kid walks up to me and asks where I bought the shirt. Turns out his name is Oren adn he wants one for himself!

Thanks Mike,

Our new tech James Lang is really quite an excellent technician. He's been here for 10 months now doing great work. I had him do some mods to some of my guitars.

Most importantly, my Asat Bluesboy semi-hollow that has spent most of its life with me on a stand as a backup guitar has been made into my number one by installing a brass nut (which he shaped out of a brass blank!) and installing a Sprague orange drop capacitor on the tone pot. I always felt that the bridge pickup was unusable because of how much top end it had. overly harsh would be how I would describe it. With the new tone cap I can roll back the tone to warm it up but not lose any clarity. It sounds phenomenal now.

brassnut.jpg

The next pic is of two tone capacitors. The one on the left is the new cap, the one on the right is the stock cap you would find on most guitars from the factory. They are the same value.

tonecaps.jpg

I've also seen some great mods he's done installing a 4-way switch in teles. everyone with a tele should have that mod!

I also had him do a ebony truss rod cover for my PRS soapbar. Purely cosmetic, but it looks friggin cool!

trussrod.jpg

Its amazing how little things can make such big changes in an instrument. To go from almost there to totally there is actually quite a distance.

Why would a different tone cap that was the same value make a tonal difference? I thought the tone circuit was a simple RC filter, whose response was defined by the R and C values.

Also, what's the 4-way switch mod? I've been thinking about getting my Squier Tele set up (the action on the higher frets could be lower), and if the mod is good, maybe I'll get this done to it, too.

Aloha,

Brad

Brad,

I'm no electronics guy, but the orange drop caps are polypropylene and hand made as opossed to the ceramic ones. I'm not sure why there is such a difference but there certainly is a HUGE difference. The bridge pickup went from un usable to perfect.

The 4-way switch in teles (with two sigle coils) gives you: 1.bridge pickup 2.both in series (both pickups working as a humbucker. this is the normal tele middle position) 3. Both pickups in parallel. This is 2 single coils working seperately as two single coils (fat gretsch sound))4. Neck pickup

Ah, I understand (both bits). I have a Gibson L6S, which has a six-position switch (for two super humbuckers): bridge pickup, neck pickup, series/in-phase, series/out-of-phase, parallel/in-phase, parallel/out-of-phase.

I guess for a Tele with a single coil in the bridge and a humbucker in the neck (as my Squier Tele is), the four-position mod wouldn't do a whole lot.

Aloha,

Brad

ok so here is why they make such a huge difference..

so the Ceramic crappy ones you get with the guitar actauly have a 20-30%+- allowance in there values, plus this changes over time and use. so you never end up getting the exact frequency that you caluculate for rc constant.

useing the hand made one I am guessing it has somewhere between a 2-5% allownace on the values makeing for a much closer calculation.

I was messing with a filter I made and had 3 different kinds of caps and just swapped them in and out till I got the tolerances I wanted. This worked even with ones that were the same material as they have such a huge variance. The best in my opinion way to do this would be to get a variable cap and put it in there and the adjust it to the exact value you want.

I'd like to find out more about the 4 way switch thing.. my 52 reissue would love it.

Edited by Guest

Tooly,

not a lot of kids looking to try the Trey guitar. I bet it would be hard to find three 15 year olds that know who Trey is :)

That being said, I find that the kids that come in are incredibily respectful of the merchandise. Also we're respectful of them and treat them like humans :)

All of the stuff here is ok to be played. I've never understood the "do not touch" attitude in guitar stores. How else are you going to know if you like it?

I love this:

1/2 watt amp

How much do you guys sell it for? I was going to make my own but it would look really crappy compared to that little guy (not to mention about 3 times the size since I have no board cutter and don't actually know what I'm doing).

Also, if I have an old pedal that's been way too well used, can you guys fix it? I'm 90% percent sure the problem is with caps that have just lost their capacity to hold charge or something on those lines (there's extra noise coming out of the pedal and an electric buddy of mine said that's probably the reason). How much do you charge for such work (roughly)?

Matt,

The Zvex nano head is $595.00 It actually sounds really good. You can run it through any 16 or 8ohm cab. its looks so funny on top of a Marshall 4x12.

The king of low wattage amps in the store has to be The Carr Mercury. Its 8 watts switchable to 2watts, 1/2watt and 1/10 watt. And it sounds good at 1/10 watt which is amazing.