Jambands.ca

Londoners - Something Really Big Is Happening!

guigsy

from call the office's website...

Friday (april) 14 SOMETHING REALLY BIG IS HAPPENING. ANNOUNCEMENT ON MARCH 20.

check back for details. .tickets on sale March 24!

i bet they booked Jesus.

incidentally, i've never sought out the answer, but i've always wondered: why does easter change up all the the time, and why so drastically? good friday is like 3 weeks after it was last year. what gives?

hmm.. interesting bradley - i guess i just figure that considering it is the most important religious holiday of the Christian liturgical year, as the link suggests, they'd be a little more accurate about it. they got his birthday down to the day, but they cant figure out when they put the nails to him?

The date of the 25th was actually "borrowed" from Pagan traditions and chosen by early Christians as more an abitrary date. Easter also follows pagan traditions and again, was borrrowed from Egyptian and Pagan traditions.

For more on how all of Chritianity can be traced to Egyptian myth (and was subsequently literalized when it was originally meant to be taken as allegory) See Tom Harpur's The Pagan Christ. This isn't new info, just long suppressed.

Edited by Guest

I know Jesus (otherwise known as Ancient Clown or AC), he hangs out at the Hot Box Cafe. He's playing in London maybe? Shit, I thought he only played on the streets. If you ever run into him, ask him to explain his law of life found here Check the March 11 2006 entry. He'll be glad to share a J with you and tell you all about it. A real treat.

picme7sy.jpg

Edited by Guest

The date of the 25th was actually "borrowed" from Pagan traditions and chosen by early Christians as more an abitrary date. Easter also follows pagan traditions and again, was borrrowed from Egyptian and Pagan traditions.

For more on how all of Chritianity can be traced to Egyptian myth (and was subsequently literalized when it was originally meant to be taken as allegory) See Tom Harpur's The Pagan Christ. This isn't new info, just long suppressed.

True, and I'd say it's even more generically civilisation-religion - i.e., linked back through to the Sumerians and all those folks who went to the effort of working out more or less reliable lunar and solar calendars.

The symbolism for Christianity I do appreciate - Christmas falling just days after the winter solstice (where life, like the daylight, is at its lowest ebb, which their idea of salvation is then tied to), and Easter coming after the spring equinox (1st Sunday after 1st full moon after the equinox), when night and day are at their greatest balance (with the inevitable passage into summer). Somebody gave that one a bit of thought.

Alan Watts has a good reading of the Christian calendar, in his Myth and Ritual in Christianity (1953), which was, mercifully, written before he totally flaked out (imo). It makes sense, I suppose, that like Tom Harpur, he was an ordained Anglican priest looking to interpret his own tradition within the bigger picture.

this has been a great lesson in how to get people interested in london musical happenings: post about a yet to be announced show and invite jesus into the conversation.

i think it's gotten more attention than most other london show threads i've posted.

i love this [color:purple]music messageboard.

:)