Jambands.ca

Whiney kids grow up to be.... Conservatives

bouche

I found the quote from a critic of the study really interesting:

"I found it to be biased' date=' shoddy work, poor science at best," [Jeff Greenberg'] said of the Block study. He thinks insecure, defensive, rigid people can as easily gravitate to left-wing ideologies as right-wing ones. He suspects that in Communist China, those kinds of people would likely become fervid party members.

Isn't Communist China one of the most rigidly conservative (in the sense of keeping things as they are) societies around? The true liberals (in the sense of wanting to liberate) in China were the demonstrators in Tiananmen Square, not the oppressive government/soldiers trying to keep them in place.

Aloha,

Brad

That's priceless!

I wonder how long I'd be able to stick around on freedominion.ca if I put forward my theory that evangelicals are schizophrenics who have discovered how to sublimate their condition with religious language.

This study reminds me of that one that was done in the 1950s, published as The Authoritarian Personality, that tried to gauge people's tendencies towards fascism (the "f-scale"). I found a cheapie version online - the F-scale ; apparently I'm a "liberal airhead" :) (I suspect that wasn't one of the categories in the original study).

(The little blurb at the bottom of that page seems to me further proof of how terribly Adorno is still misread - or just unread - and misunderstood. I'd still rank him among the best thinkers of all time.)

Isn't Communist China one of the most rigidly conservative (in the sense of keeping things as they are) societies around? The true liberals (in the sense of wanting to liberate) in China were the demonstrators in Tiananmen Square, not the oppressive government/soldiers trying to keep them in place.

Spot on. Some of the most conservative people I've ever met have been the upper-class Chinese ESL students I've had in my classes. As the old saw goes, les extremes se touchent. I think Nolte (not Nick) had a definition of fascism that defined it as a mirror image of communism that employed exactly the same categories and methods in shaping its world.

Haha, that's funny Bouche. Yeah, dissenting voices do not last long on freedominion. I can't even bring myself to visit the site it is so bleak and depressing over there.

I wonder how long I'd be able to stick around on freedominion.ca if I put forward my theory that evangelicals are schizophrenics who have discovered how to sublimate their condition with religious language.

Not long! :laugh:

[slight drift]

Yeah, I wonder about this too. I mean is Benny Hinn, for example, just a talented conman or an out-and-out pathological lunatic? I suspect a bit of both, really. I remember reading something once that mapped out the ways in which his services follow quite closely the formula used by charismatic political dictators.

[/slight drift]

A really good point, bradm. Greenberg seems to be having trouble seeing past domestic politics and is conflating left-wing ideology with liberalism and missing the whole rigid conservative authoritarianism aspect that the study is actually talking about ...

Benny Hinn actually does include as a cornerstone in his biography a psychological meltdown, in which a vision of Jesus that he had was the only thing that pulled him through.

The CBC's documentary on Benny Hinn and Reinhart Bonnke a few years back went to great lengths to point out all the psychological tricks each uses on stage (hidden speakers in the stadiums fading in ethereal voices on cue, tried-and-true techniques of mass hypnosis, that sort of thing).

One look at freedominion.ca just now gave me enough shudders to last a week.

Heh, Benny Hinn includes a lot in his biography that are baldfaced lies. I actually started to list some of the nonsense, but then that would be a true thread-hijack. Besides, we all know that the world of televangelism is a vile place :)

Its fun to read those Televangelist report cards (pdf) that show up in Christianity Today.

[edit: DEM, I realize that you weren't talking specifically about televangelist types ... that's just where my mind wandered to ;)]

Edited by Guest

I responded to this thread that is suggesting that anyone who smokes/smoked marijuana ends up a bum or really old at 40 later in life with the following..and it got deleted! These people are INSANE! I need some help pouncing ever so gently on the moderator. they're afraid...very afraid of counter-args.

He became Christian in his mid-twenties' date=' and dumped the drugs and booze, but now that he's in his late 40's, oh, it's awful, in his own words, his body is literally falling apart before his eyes. He's now paying the price.

He's old, very very old looking. It's sad, because his kids are only 10 and 12...and I strongly doubt whether or not he'll be around to see them graduate university, much less see his grandkids. Yes, drugs take a terrible toll. On more than just yourself.[/quote']

All of these quotes blaming marijuana for poor health are extremely presumptuious. Have you ever checked on their diets? People tend to look old as they get older, if they don't exercise, stop smoking, eat healthy, etc. Blaming marijuana on poor aging is completely wrong.

Of course there are those like me, the majority of pot users who light up a couple joints on saturday night and then go to there jobs monday morning as lawyers/bankers/engineers etc.

To me pot laws are simply another dumb law like the gun registry to be broken

Yes, grouping drug abusers with casuals is pretty ridiculous.

I reposted that post since I thought i may have forgotten to hit 'submit'.... and I'm already banned.

If these people represent Conservatives, we have no voice in our current government. Who wants to write an article about Freedominion so that I can publish it on here?

*shaking head*

It's a bad scene over there. Your post was totally reasonable ... they are definately afraid of discussion and cluster together with scary group-think.

And it seems that they will never, ever understand what gun registry laws are actually intended to do, based on "icemachine"'s post. But then, how could they, when posts that raise questions get deleted? Oh, it's a shithole, that place.

As far as the article goes -- freedominionites have a tendency to mass infiltrate boards and spam/troll the shit out of them when they get a whiff of criticism. The moderators at Babble have a hell of a time keeping up with the FD trolls. Just keep in mind that you might be creating a lot of extra work for yourself ...

As far as the article goes -- freedominionites have a tendency to mass infiltrate boards and spam/troll the shit out of them when they get a whiff of criticism. The moderators at Babble have a hell of a time keeping up with the FD trolls. Just keep in mind that you might be creating a lot of extra work for yourself ...

rabble.ca ? I've never been there. I know that they aren't worth it, and as you point out, most of the non-hardliners may not even be aware of other voices out there because of the heavy-handed deleting of posts.

Yep, rabble.ca. It is the antithesis of FD. The FDers join up in waves and make the board pretty much unreadable sometimes, though. Which leads to troll paranoia. Which leads to occasional reactionary moderating out of necessity.

The Sanc is pretty fortunate to not have any problems like that. Everything here is so cool and relaxed ... I just wouldn't want to mess with that for the sake of an unnecessary board war.

Thanks Mike. You got the whole freaking office banned!

I bet there are a couple of closet FD-ers here at work that are really confused as to why they are suddenly banned.

Seriously, there are many reasons you don't want to provoke them to start trolling here. Just think of some of the proclivities that are freely (stupidly?) discussed here. You don't want them running to the teacher do you?

This guy is probably a free dominioner!!

Holy shit! Talk about taking property rights a little too far!

Irritated but calm, the homeowner called 911 and told the dispatcher that he had finally done something about the neighbor boy — the one, the man said into the phone, who had been harassing him for years.

"I just killed a kid," Charles Martin said..

Yep, rabble.ca. It is the antithesis of FD. The FDers join up in waves and make the board pretty much unreadable sometimes, though. Which leads to troll paranoia. Which leads to occasional reactionary moderating out of necessity.

The Sanc is pretty fortunate to not have any problems like that. Everything here is so cool and relaxed ... I just wouldn't want to mess with that for the sake of an unnecessary board war.

Actually, it wouldn't take much to take down FD. They are running a very buggy system (phpBB) and it is constantly broke. Also, the Rabble site is using really bad software...stuff I used to run UBB. It doesn't take much to hurt that software. I'm running very scalable forum software now on a very capable server.

I seriously wouldn't worry about those idiots hurting the forum peformance, and it wouldn't be tough to get a fleet of mods to keep them at bay ;)

Heh, well, if you wanna take 'em on ... :) I just like the fact that the Sanc goes relatively unnoticed outside of the 'community'

Yeah, the Babble software *sucks* and is ancient. I think that they don't change over because they don't want to lose the archives or something, but they are long overdue. I've thought about volunteering to transfer over the databases if they commit themselves to something a little more contemporary, but always think better of it in the end :laugh: