Jambands.ca

For sale

Freak By Night

I don't think they can ever be the Rough Riders again, someone has the naming rights, can't remember who though, Ottawa made a huge stink about getting a team back and then they don't get the fan support (I will admit that the Glieberman's probably had something to do with that) If they don't find an owner fast, I think the team will be supended/move to Quebec City/Hailfax and I don't think you'll see CFL footbal in Ottawa for a loooong time to come.

I think quebec City has a small one, and they are going back to Halifax for pre-season again, pretty sure it's just a matter of time before they get a team/stadium, my guess and what I've heard is that they may end up suspending the team for the year, dispersal draft, then when/if there are new teams, draft again

The CFL and the Gliebermen (note the plural) did everything wrong with the Renegades:

- The CFL over-valued the franchise. $4 million for a CFL team? WTF?

- Lonie undervalued the franchise by selling $99 season ticket packages. That was great for getting fans into the stadium, but it was a slap in the face to those fans who had already paid way more than that for their season tickets. Not many of those people renewed their tickets.

- They hired their friends and family to run the team. That's great for cell-phone plans, but these people were not the best football and marketing people. It seemed whenever Lonie opened his mouth to speak about the team publicly, what came out were pick-up lines. That guy's always trying to get laid.

- The CFL didn't enforce its salary cap.

Ottawa made a huge stink about getting a team back and then they don't get the fan support (I will admit that the Glieberman's probably had something to do with that)

The Glieberman's had everything to do with the failure of the last season. I was at 6 of the 8 home games and it was obvious with each passing game that they had zero interest in making football work in Ottawa.

Little things like... one game toward the end of the season, not hiring enough staff to be able to open enough gates lead to many people missing the first quarter. That happens to you once you're not inclined to go back. It was all just so Mickey Mouse.

The previous owner, Brad Waters, was a joke too.

As I alluded to above, the CFL might have turned a blind eye but the fans in Ottawa didn't want to be fooled again. And they were right. Eugene Melnyk buys this franchise (realistic or not) and attendance will skyrocket. It's not that Ottawa will only get behind a winner (as is often said), it's that fans don't want the owner to embarrass the city and won't support someone they think is a joke. The sports franchises in Ottawa with credible ownership (Senators and Jeff Hunt with the 67s) do quite well.

Finally, when Waters and his cronies ran the fake poll to name the team I thought the far and away best name was River Kings... Ottawa River Kings... has such a nice ring to it... and it would have gotten shortened to Kings... a very tried and true franchise name. Renegades is such a shitty name I never bought any merchandise.

Eugene Melnyk buys this franchise (realistic or not) and attendance will skyrocket.

Mr. Melnyk just announced that he will not bid for ownership of the Ottawa Renegades.

Back to the name change... think how cool the helmets would look with a bad ass crown on one side and nothing on the other. I'd even change up the colour scheme with predominently silver and black. I wanna buy this team!!

Talk to a true blue Ottawa football fan last night.

This guy's family has had season tickets since the 1940s. They did not renew for next year. They were really put off by the Gliebermen.

Once you start losing fans like that, forget it!

Another thing he mentioned, he heard that Jeff Hunt (owner of the Ottawa 67's for our out of town sports fans) sat down with Lonie Glieberman and gave him some advice on how to build a successful team in this city.

Jeff Hunt has had great success with the 67's, they get a full house for every game.

Hunt's major piece of advice to Glieberman was to make the games "family-friendly".

What's Lonie do? Organizes a well-publicized "show us your tits" contest.