Jambands.ca

Death Penalty a Possiblility for religious Conversion in Afghanistan

Deeps

I just caught wind of this story yesterday; the implications are not a little obvious - the point of Canadian troops being there is what, exactly?

It strikes me as a little odd that the Western response is framed via the Family Research Council, the manifestly political arm of Focus on the Family. These should be generic freedom-of-religion concerns, not clash-of-civilisation ones.

It'd be interesting to see what GWB does formally on this.

The whole reason for going in there was to help these folk see that killing people for their beliefs is not a progressive road. It seemed, in the press that the coalition governments were a major advising commitee and policy shaper when it came to reforming the Afghanny government.

The spin @ the time of the Afghan govt's reform seemed to point to amazing progress as a result. Now this!

Did the coalition heads even read the law books before signing off on the new government? I think this case is an amazing example of how ineffective all this bloodshed is on changing the policies within the middle eastern governments that the coalition forces are "freeing".

According to that story:

In a statement issued Wednesday afternoon, the Afghan Embassy said Karzai's government is "pursuing the best ways to resolve Mr. Rahman's case judicially."

"Afghanistan's judicial system is currently evaluating questions raised about the mental fitness of Mr. Rahman, the results of which may end the proceedings," the statement said.

Wouldn't it be interesting if apostasy could be judged in light of diminished capacity :).

"Sorry I went Christian, but I suffer from borderline personality disorder."

Holy conflicting paradigms!

[color:purple]Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that we are allowing this new democracy to flourish by laying the lives of young people who wanted cheaper tuition on the alter of freedom.

Imagine if those backward thinking Taliban were still charge there? They probably wouldn't even let us put in a Tim Horton's.

Argh matties and may the holy appendage of the FSM touch you all and fuck up your data.