Jambands.ca

BEER!

AD

DO RE MI DRINK, by Homer J. Simpson.

*ahem* La la la la.... *ahem*

DO...... the stuff... that buys me beer...

RAY..... the guy that sells me beer...

ME...... the guy... who drinks the beer,

FAR..... a long way to get beer...

SO...... I'll have another beer...

LA...... I'll have another beer...

TEA..... no thanks, I'm drinking beer...

That will bring us back to...

(Looks into an empty glass)

D'OH!

The Beer Prayer

Our lager,

Which art in barrels,

Hallowed be thy drink,

Thy will be drunk,

(I will be drunk),

At home as I am in the tavern.

Give us this day our foamy head,

And forgive us our spillages,

As we forgive those who spill against us,

and lead us not to incarceration,

But deliver us from hangovers,

For thine is the beer,

The bitter and the lager,

Forever and ever,

Barmen.

definately beer drinkin weather today pholks

aahhhhhhhhh beer

on a more serious note:

Australia's tourism minister is ridiculing Canada over broadcast regulations that forced Tourism Australia to remove the image of a partly consumed glass of beer from a TV commercial aimed at luring Canadian travellers Down Under.

Australia's overseas advertisements have already generated controversy in Britain and Canada because of the salty phrasing in the campaign's pitch line: "Where the bloody hell are you?"

British officials initially balked at the word "bloody" before Australian Tourism Minister Fran Bailey flew to London last week and convinced regulators there to review their decision.

In Canada, the CBC has said the use of "hell" would prevent the ad from being shown during family-oriented programs, but is otherwise fine.

But Ms. Bailey has now complained Canadian rules governing broadcast images of alcohol compelled her tourism agency to re-edit the commercial to remove a shot showing a half-full glass of beer.

The scene in an Outback tavern, which has a voice-over saying, "We've poured you a beer," is followed by a series of other vignettes and similar tourist come-ons -- including "We've shampooed the camels" and "We've saved you a spot on the beach" -- before a bikini-clad woman stares into the camera and says: "So where the bloody hell are you?"

The forced removal of the half-beer has apparently stunned Ms. Bailey.

"Buying a mate a beer is about Australian as you can get. But the Canadian regulator has banned the shot because implied unbranded alcohol consumption (a part-empty beer glass) is unacceptable," she said in a press release issued on Tuesday. "The way the ad is designed means this will not cause us a problem, but I still find the decision astonishing. What this decision shows is that Canada lags behind Americans, Brits and even Germans in the sense of humour stakes."

The Australian commercial was vetted by Telecaster, an ad-screening service provided to Canadian broadcasters by the industry-run Television Bureau of Canada. Telecaster officials explained to CanWest News Service that under federal CRTC regulations, images of half-full glasses of beer are forbidden in Canadian TV commercials.

The rationale, they said, is to ensure the mood conveyed in a commercial -- by a happy crowd of partyers holding beers, for example -- wasn't dependent on the characters' prior consumption of alcohol.

Australian news media are having a heyday poking fun at the Canadian rule.

In one story, headlined "Bloody Canadians reject hell of an ad," the online version of The Age notes: "Under Canada's restrictions on alcohol advertising, ads cannot feature anyone enjoying alcohol. Full glasses are fine, but a half-empty glass apparently shows people drink the stuff."

Ms. Bailey's statement indicates Australia was willing to amend the ad to air in Canada, and that the controversy over the "Where the bloody hell are you?" campaign is only helping her country's tourism promotion agency.

The original, pre-edited commercial can be see online at wherethebloodyhellareyou.com

Edited by Guest

homer.jpg

"Oh, Lisa, you and your stories: Bart's a vampire, beer kills brain cells. Now let's go back to that ... building ... thingie ... where our beds and TV ... is." - Homer
"I'm worried about the beer supply. After this case and the other case - we only got one case left." - Barney Gumbal
"All right, Homey, you're overstimulated. As soon as we get you home, we'll get some beer into you, and then it's straight to bed."

- Marge

INDEED...finally a wonderful spring, beer-drinking afternoon!!!!

A project I was on (in 2004 and 2005) has been spun off into a product (with me choosing not to go with it), and the kick-off gathering was this afternoon...free Creemore...mmmm...

I think we should take it on as a task to try to drink The Bayou out of at least one brand tonight. I'll be working on Labatt's 50 unless someone comes up with a better suggestion. :)

Aloha,

Brad