Jambands.ca

This Essay Breaks the Law

d_rawk

Greed is one of the fundamental characteristics which seperates humans from most animals.

Non-human animals aren't greedy? Ever have a dog who was nice as pie to you until you went near his bone/food bowl?

I'm not sure that greed is actually the normal human condition, but I don't have the debate in me this evening.

the one up-side is that this can't (as far as i know) just be immediately foisted on canada, and hopefully our supreme court will react with the same good sense they diaplayed about the oncomouse...

That does provide a bit of hope. Now, considering that heart disease is one of (still *the*?) number 1 killer(s) of Canadians (responsible for more female deaths than male, in fact, contrary to popular perception), if only we could get OHIP to cover such things as homocysteine tests ....

I'd posit that the ability to reflect on greed, its role in our behaviour, and the repercusions of the same is more along the lines of what seperates humans from most animals ...

What we make of that ability is questionable, of course. But the ability itself may be unique. Whether or not greed is fundamental to human nature is an argument in itself. But that humans at least have a way out of it that may not be available to other species seems accurate, to me at least. There is both a blessing and a curse to deep self-awareness.