Jambands.ca

Detainee's Rights? That's Crazy Talk!!

guigsy

here ya go!

"Foreigners, in foreign countries, have no rights under the American Constitution," Scalia said

deleted: read that wrong...

edit to add: i forgot this bit..

"I had a son on that battlefield and they were shooting at my son, and I'm not about to give this man who was captured in a war a full jury trial. I mean it's crazy."

i wonder how he'd feel about detainees rights if his son was captured, and was the foreigner in the foreign country...

Edited by Guest

To H@LL with the Geneva Convention... were Americans for Petes sake. Without 'US' the world might not go around any more.

sarcasm is denoted around here by the use of [color:purple]purple text.

i'm presuming that you were indeed being sarcastic :P

and indeed, even in a non-sarcastic sense, the US makes the world go round...without the destabilizing hand of the US, this would be a pretty boring planet.

"I had a son on that battlefield and they were shooting at my son, and I'm not about to give this man who was captured in a war a full jury trial. I mean it's crazy."

i wonder how he'd feel about detainees rights if his son was captured, and was the foreigner in the foreign country...

I wish I could remember better, but there was either a Senator or Rep who, after the Abu Ghraib thing was really blown open, made a similar point on the floor - the whole point of the Geneva Convention is a mutual understanding of how we'd want our own people treated if they get captured; it's not about finding loopholes to fuck other people up. So much of the rhetoric from the US seems to suggest that they think themselves immune from every actually being affected by the conflict they've thrown themselves into.

Maybe it's a being-raised-on-TV thing.

Makes me think of that Roger Waters tune -

Hey bartender over here

Two more shots and two more beers

Sir, turn up the TV sound

The war has started on the ground

Just love those laser guided bombs

They're really great for righting wrongs

You hit the target and win the game

From bars 3,000 miles away

3,000 miles away

We play the game

With the bravery of being out of range

No I was not being serious and I apologize if I came across as sounding like a 'troll'.

I really can not say for sure what Scalia was really trying to say. Under the 'convention' do prisoners of "war" have rights such as: rights to representation??? *Not to say that the prisoners in CUBA are prisoners of 'war' but....

Gentle Persuasion

a long read, but worth some of the tidbits.... one of which is:

John Radsan, the former C.I.A. lawyer, offered a reply of sorts. “As a society, we haven’t figured out what the rough rules are yet,†he said. “There are hardly any rules for illegal enemy combatants. It’s the law of the jungle. And right now we happen to be the strongest animal.â€

What the US is currently doing and has currently done at Guantánamo for the last 5 years helps substantiate a lot of claims that they believe their actions and foreign policy are somehow justifiable.

Nothing would surprise me about the US government and it's global agenda!