Jambands.ca

Morrissey is a twit

ollie

I like The Smiths and all but come on.

Morrissey snubs Canada to protest against seal hunt

Former Smiths frontman Morrissey has joined those opposed to the seal hunt, saying he won't perform in Canada as a protest.

The 46-year-old singer concludes his message by calling for his fans to boycott Canadian goods, saying that Canada has "placed itself alongside China as the cruelest and most self-serving nation."

I don't recall Morrissey being much of a staple on the Canadian touring scene in the first place.

I remember going to see him around ten years ago at Massey Hall. His fans were insane! Many had "MOZ" carved into their arms and several people tried jumping on stage. During the encore "Shoplifters Of The World Unite" someone jumped up on stage and the security got confused, grabbed Morrissey and threw him out the stage door of Massey Hall! I've never seen so many "adults" crying at a concert in my life.

I remember going to see him around ten years ago at Massey Hall. His fans were insane! Many had "MOZ" carved into their arms and several people tried jumping on stage. During the encore "Shoplifters Of The World Unite" someone jumped up on stage and the security got confused, grabbed Morrissey and threw him out the stage door of Massey Hall! I've never seen so many "adults" crying at a concert in my life.

This still sounds 1000x preferable to the Disco Biscuits show I attended some years back. There was at least one adult crying inside Lee's Palace that night and good God did I want to cut myself aterwards.

as much as i love & respect you musically, FUCK YOU, PAUL MCCARTNEY!!!!!!!!!!!

LIMEY BASTARD!!!!!!

great. now morrissey is confusing us with the US:

Canada has "placed itself alongside China as the cruelest and most self-serving nation."

i wish all these stupid rock stars would actually read up a bit on these kinds of things and take a look at the bigger issue before plastering their name to a cause. and what the fuck is that statement? why the fuck aren't they in china stopping the torture & murder of dogs? they hang them up by their hind legs & wrap them tightly in wire, then leave the dogs to wriggle themselves to death. this makes the meat tender. WTF? and they're slamming canada for culling the seals? what's better you fucking idiot rock stars? putting all those people out of work & completely wiping out the fish population so all those seals starve to death & then die & rot up the waters?! fuckin' morons!

and morrissey, why don't you write us a nice song about the seals. you can make it sound like all your other ones: "waaaah waaaaah waaaaah, boooo hooo hoooo hoooo, no-oh-oh-oh-oh-buddddy lovvvvess meeeeeeeeeee"

basTURDs! that's what they is, i tell ya.

I would think the way Canada has and does treat Natives is a pretty good reason to boycott this fair land among a few others if one believes in boycotting a nation(not sure I do).

This place aint so perfect.

People should also get their information straight before going on tirades about what these 'stupid limeys' are saying...mayhaps a little suggestion.

Edited by Guest

I had to bring out a quote from Farley over at Jamhub (it was regarding Paul, but still I thought it worthy of repeating here):

It's "enlightening" to see multimillionaires jetting around the globe to try to shut down a small industry in an economically desparate region, where people are leaving in droves to find work elsewhere.

The rockstar->sealhunt thing is bothering the crap outta me, too. Things are generally pretty brutal at the local abattoir ... not a sexy enough cause?

I've been on a bit of a Smiths kick lately. I agree with whoever said (can't find it above ... maybe it was the other thread on this topic?) that the Smiths' catalog is solid all the way through, but Morrissey on his own is spotty. I also agree with whoever said (other thread as well?) that his b-sides are often better than the singles/standard album cuts. Johnny Marr is the shit, and a lot of what is great about the Smiths has to do with Marr.

180px-Lgart012.jpg

• 12 years later...

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/207973-canada

Canada
My decision to return to Canada after almost 15 years of protest against its savage and Neanderthal annual Baby Seal Kill is entirely because my stance was ultimately of no use and helped no one.  My voice was drowned out by the merciless swing of spiked axes crushing the heads of babies.  On my return to Canada I feel that I can be of more use by making sizeable donations to animal protection groups in each city that I play.  Thankfully there are many such organizations in Canada: Toronto Pig Save, Ottawa Animal Save, St John’s Chicken Save, Vancouver Chicken Save, and also PETA USA and DxE / Direct Action Everywhere.  Certainly, any and all of these groups are welcome to set up stalls at our concerts.  We are here to save as many lives as possible. The current Canadian government neurotically preach diversitythe understanding that each individual is unique, and has much to offer because of their differences.  This tolerance does not extend to the seal family - who hurt no one, yet who have no rights to life in the new non-discriminatory Canada. Will my Canadian tour be a success ?  I have no idea.  I shall give my best and do my best.  We are all passionately looking forward to renewed friendships.