Jambands.ca

3-28-06: Question/Debate Of The Day

MarcO

Question: Roughly what percentage of threads on the board do you actually open and look at?

I'm currently operating at about 20%. I'd say I ignore (don't even bother to open) about 4 out of 5 topics based simply on the topic and/or the author involved.

That makes for some pretty slim pickings as of late (say, the last 6 months or so).

Debate: As an aside, I personally regret the creation of a separate politcal forum. It makes this main page far less interesting and hides away some of those discussions to the detriment of the board. Sports, I can understand, as that is a parallel obsession that unfolds constantly. Politics has more of an ebb and flow to it and otherwise compelling discussions based on social or moral concerns have the potential to languish in the mini-forum. Discuss.

I agree there's been an ebb (low tide) lately of interesting threads, and I definitely echo your feelings of the separate politics forum.

sadly, I can only generate a finite amount of controversy on my own (and perhaps mine are precisely the ones you ignore.)

but to answer the QOTD, I probably open about 6 or 7 on a page displaying 20 or so threads. You can do the math if you want...sorry, but I don't do fractions!

:P

Bouche...can we have politics back to the main page?

25-30%

I think the board has gained renewed focus around music since the inception of the political section, which is a good thing I'd say.

That being said I think we need more spirited conversation about music though. I'd like to hear that someone thought such and such a show was lack lustre, or some scathing reviews or talk on a single member of a band and where they fit into the mix. Some ugly truth along with the "I love this band they are my favourite" standard.

Maybe a reoccurring music-political thread will help feed the political/musical connections.

Deeps

Maybe pushing good political threads to the forefront when they deserve it?

Edited by Guest

i'd say i'm about 50%.. i skim through topics pretty quickly though and tend to miss a lot.

i lament the creation of the politics forum too. i'm sure there are more than a handful of people who don't visit the forum but would respond to a particular thread if it were in the general cavern.

like the whole ashley macisaac thread after bouche moved it over to where it should "technically" belong.. even though there was some stuff unresponded too, it generally just fizzled out.

plus sometimes i'm confused as to what constitutes 'politics'. i question where anything of social concern should be posted.

i dunno.. just seems like politically minded threads were better received in the general cavern. sure you had the odd person outraged that they had to read through something relating to politics, but i think moreso they were just itching to post. you don't have to read through anything.

thanks for bringing this up marco. i vote to abolish the politics forum.. now that the election is over it's mainly comprised of posts that have been moved there, or that could have gotten away with being somewhere else.

Edited by Guest

I'm reading this board less and less lately.

I think the Politics forum did ruin things a little bit, because there are only a couple people who check it regularly, so it doesn't make for much of a debate, and most of what has gone on at the Cavern over the last while has been rather uninteresting. It is often content only of interest to a few people in Ontario, and often just Toronto. The "political" debates on the Cavern tended to be of wider interest.

I probably open 10% of threads in the Cavern. I occasionally check out the Politics forum, and I appear to be among 5 people or so who ever go the West Coast board, which means there is little there that I didn't post myself; so little of interest to me as I already know what's there.

I read most of the QOTDs, most of the Rich Stadium threads, most of the reviews in the Articles section and about 30-40% of the main Cavern.

Although I do read most of the posts by people that I'm familiar and/or friends with.

Edited by Guest

Haven't been reading much ... scan every 2 or 3 days for interesting thread titles. 10% of the cavern maybe? I open about 70%-80% of the politics threads, but read over them very quickly and probably miss a lot. Mostly log on to check my PMs.

I think some of it is seasonal. I remember a similar discussion around this time last year. The winter mood comes across in posts, people start tuning out, and once spring comes and everyone feels a little more active they start participating again because they are looking for upcoming shows, talking about shows they just went to, and just generally feeling more social. *shrug*

i didn't even realize that any new forums had been made. whoops. just discovered foodeeze forum! that's cool.

if i am on the board during the day i look at most of the topics on the first page, almost all. but sometimes go for days without looking at any. there are a few authors i steer clear of opening but generally i'll open just about anything to see what's inside!

Question: Roughly what percentage of threads on the board do you actually open and look at?

Debate: As an aside, I personally regret the creation of a separate politcal forum. It makes this main page far less interesting and hides away some of those discussions to the detriment of the board. Sports, I can understand, as that is a parallel obsession that unfolds constantly. Politics has more of an ebb and flow to it and otherwise compelling discussions based on social or moral concerns have the potential to languish in the mini-forum. Discuss.

i would figure that i probably read about half of the threads in the cavern. i do wish that the politics forum would be folde back in to the cavern, a lot does go on there that people who aren't necessarily looking would miss. i think that the increase in political discourse lkeading up to the last election drove a lot of folks to distraction, and that's what spurred the politics forum into existence.

life is political. abolish the politics forum!

i just wrote a couple paragraph response of how i've been feeling about the board lately, instead, i'll just say this:

this place would be fine and dandy, and this thread probably wouldnt even exist, if many people were capable of mature discussion and would keep their negative energy for themselves to bask in, regardless of the thread, the poster, the band your about to say sucks, the person you're about to ridicule/insult/wish death upon, etc etc.

in short, the word is respect. and it doesnt cease to exist because you're face to monitor, not face to face.

do i care about the politics forum? actually, im indifferent, but the extra click to get there doesnt bother me. maybe you're all just busier than me.

less than 10% based on the topic. I could care less about the author of a thread, I'll open it so long as I have any interest in it. Or it looks like a juicy "beat-down" on one board member or another.

that said, I know certain members share my taste in music so I'm more apt to open their theads.

ummmm, 10%?

Heh. If you mean me (rather than Shainhouse or StoneMtn who also said 10), then I will qualify it to make it make sense:

- 10% lately, except on days where I am more or less housebound for reasons that go beyond anything that I care to discuss on the board. How's that? ;)

Although, I think that I'm participating on about 3 threads on the moment, which is about the 3 that I've read. So that's 15% of the main page ... a little higher, I guess. Hardly worth nitpicking over, I'd think.

I check out whatever seems interesting to me i guess.

I find humorous, engaging conversation to be in a bit of a lull lately, but I'm not really contributing much, so tittie for tattie. jim tattie that is.

Thread opening percentage-- 40%

Edited by Guest
None of your GODDAMN BUSINESS!

I used to visit the Forum a few years ago as CharlieDontSurf and found it pretty dynamic and worth some pretty constant posting...

Life does seem a little quiet around here, especially now that I live in Edmonchuck and check out Cavern West (as opposed to East) for any local news... this is kinda like opening the fridge to see if there's any extra beers (there never is).

I also miss seeing dogatthestation and his rather wonderful wife....

Rich Stadium ain't too bad, although it does get a little tedious heaing the Sens fans mock the Leafs fans mock the Habs fans, etc, etc.... why can't you all get along and realize that you all suck in the east ;)

The Cavern is good and I'll check out the Political Forum too, but it seems odd to have it stuck away on its own.... a forum for food and recipes kinda makes me chuckle...

Abe