Jambands.ca

Children's Books

MamaPink

books I loved as a kid- ok the first is a record- not a book- but...King, Carole. Really Rosie; A New Musical NY: French, 1985. (illustared by Maurice Sendak

a major fav!

also illustraed by him (maybe writtten I can't recall) and I think a bit harder to locate- "Higgilty Piggilty Pop, or There Must Be more to Life," <--- anyone else know this one?

and a book by Pierre Burton- The Secret Wolrd of Og.

but also the OZ books and many otheres that have already been mentioned-

Those come to immediate mind- if I think of more worth adding I will!

good thread

i'd go along with most of the reccomendations on here, particularly the richard scarry books.

Lowly_Worm_side.jpg

a friend of mine got a copy of a book called "the bear who wanted to be a bear" which i ended up ordering for myself. a bear cub goes to sleep for the winter and wakes up to discover that they have built a factory over his den, and he's now inside. the forman sees him, yells at him, makes him shave and put on a tie and sends him to work. assuming this is just the way it is, he complies. try as he might, he can't get in to the tasks he has been given, and they finally fire him. he goes off into the world to discover his bearness.

best lesson i could give a kid :)

On a similar note, I would also recommend Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs, in which the story is retold from the point of view of the wolf, who was only going around looking to borrow a cup of sugar from his porcine neighbours, who refused even to let him in the door. So, as he has a cold, he sneezes, the crappier of their houses collapse, and, well, if the pigs are killed in such an accident, who's to blame if he just eats them rather than letting all that good protein go to blame. And to spoil the ending: the cops show up just as he's having a sneezing fit at the third pig's house. "And the rest," he says, "is history."

I.e., a good appearances-can-be-deceiving, beware of preconceptions and prejudices sort of story.

i'd go along with most of the reccomendations on here, particularly the richard scarry books.

Lowly_Worm_side.jpg

a friend of mine got a copy of a book called "the bear who wanted to be a bear" which i ended up ordering for myself. a bear cub goes to sleep for the winter and wakes up to discover that they have built a factory over his den, and he's now inside. the forman sees him, yells at him, makes him shave and put on a tie and sends him to work. assuming this is just the way it is, he complies. try as he might, he can't get in to the tasks he has been given, and they finally fire him. he goes off into the world to discover his bearness.

best lesson i could give a kid :)

oh Tim....I remember that Hillside where Ili and Helena recited that book for us all.....I really gotta find it for our girls (or maybe that's next Xmas from Uncle Tim....? I once searched for it and came up empty.)

ps...we have that toy....Lowly in his apple....didn't sell in a garage sale before we left TO, so it's yours!

Deb, you made me think of another book...

Mr. Brown can Moo, Can You?

It was my favourite dr. suess book as a kid

(Johannes (bong raffle Yo) recently read this to a few of us... it was really funny when someone walked in on our storytime...and somehow what Deb said reminded me of this.)

I remember enjoying listening to the librarian read this one book about Bonnie McSmithers who was a household pain in the you-know-what that her mom repeated to something along the lines of "Bonnie McSmithers you're driving me dithers adn blitthery blathery out of my mind." I felt for the poor mom having to put up with such a bothersome child.

I think Zuess' 'Yurtle the Turtle' may have been my favourite story. It came in a big book with three other stories. I reckon I still have pretty much every book from my childhood in my parents' attic.

my nephew has one called 'walter the farting dog', and i will admit i think it's pretty funny.

I love this one too. I think there is another 1 or 2 books in that series

I also like The Water Hole by Graeme Base and On the Day You Were Born by Debra Frasier. My 2 y/o daughter really likes Tales from the Carrot Patch series by Neil Connelly.

we've been reading the complete stories of Winnie the Pooh for our little guy just before bed - its really good stuff and, having never read a.a. milne previously, i quite like all of their personalities and comments each of them makes.

John's got all sorts of other good books (most of them Thomas the Tank Engine or construction oriented), and its a blast leafing through them.

It truly is the age of electronics, however... he's known for a while now how to change the movies in the DVD (from Nemo to Polar Express to Monsters Inc to Thomas and Friends and back again), and has a whack load more favourites than I do on Internet Explorer. When I was two, I thought the Fisher Price popper was high tech...

72011_b_1.jpg

I have noticed that, Hal. Although, I really like that show The Backyardigans. And Kaden LOVES Rollie Pollie Ollie.

Ya, Zane likes the Backyardigans too, as well as Rollie Pollie Ollie. In fact, sometimes I wake up at night with the stupid Backyardigans song in my head. In fact, it's there right now!

The one I like to watch the most with him is Pingu. We get a kick out of it.

Me as a kid in South Africa:

Enid Blyton - The Enchanted Tree

I've never seen this in Canada. It is so sweet and magical.

Also: AA Milne, Dr. Suess (especially The Lorax), Shel Silverstein, Roald Dahl

Now I love Where The Wild Things Are, No David! books and also Jan Brett (beautiful illustrations)

lorax.gif

But now, says the Once-ler,

Now that you're here,

the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.

UNLESS someone like you

cares a whole awful lot,

nothing is going to get better.

It's not.

SO...

Catch! calls the Once-ler.

He lets something fall.

It's a Truffula Seed.

It's the last one of all!

You're in charge of the last of the Truffula Seeds.

And Truffula Trees are what everyone needs.

Plant a new Truffula. Treat it with care.

Give it clean water. And feed it fresh air.

Grow a forest. Protect it from axes that hack.

Then the Lorax

and all of his friends

may come back.

Edited by Guest