Jambands.ca

5-year-old expelled for bringing gun to class

SevenSeasJim

Wednesday, March 29, 2006; Posted: 8:04 a.m. EST (13:04 GMT)

FIRCREST, Washington (AP) -- A kindergarten student was expelled for 10 days after he brought a .22-caliber gun to school, officials said.

The 5-year-old boy climbed from a chair onto a washer-dryer and got an unloaded pistol out of a cupboard at home, police said. He showed a friend the gun on the Whittier Elementary School playground, then put it into a friend's backpack, Police Chief John Cheesman said.

The boy never made any threat and told the principal what he had done Monday but was expelled immediately, said Patti Holmgren, a spokeswoman for the Tacoma school system. Police confiscated the gun.

School officials were investigating, classmates have been reminded not to bring guns to school and a letter on the incident has been sent to parents of Whittier students, Holmgren said.

The boy's parents tried to keep the gun out of his reach and did not store ammunition with it, so no criminal charges are likely, the police chief said.

"The boy now realizes he should not have brought the pistol to school," Cheesman added. "There was an understanding there that he shouldn't have done it and that what he did was wrong."

School officials were investigating, classmates have been reminded not to bring guns to school

It's pretty bad when school kids have to be reminded not to bring guns to school.

It's pretty bad when school kids have to be reminded not to bring guns to school.

That's what I was thinking. The way it's worded on there, though, it seems to me like they're saying that guns aren't particularily bad or dangerous, you just aren't allowed to bring them to school (like wearing a shirt that says fuck or something on those lines).

i wonder where the parents were keeping the gun? obviously they didn't try to hard if a four/five year old could get his hands on it. and i love the "did not store the ammunition with it" disclaimer.

the US is whacked. read the following article discussing Florida's new "Stand Your Ground" law in which a person can shoot and kill anyone who illegally enters their home.

Leave it to Jeb.

[color:purple]Somebody needs to stand up for this poor kids rights. He is protected by the US Constitution to carry a gun with him anywhere he goes. By getting expelled for bringing a gun to school then how is this poor defenseless little boy going to protect himself from those freedom hating terrorists hell bent on destroying his way of life?

For shame Whittier Elementary School, for your gay loving, bike riding, granola crunching, terrorist supporting, tree hugging, liberal ways. Why do you hate America?

** when maudit souris is on today, he'll post the town name & state.

:) - you know my favourite rants!

I forget the name of the town(s - I think there were a couple), but they're in Utah; they got lots of press when the Olympics were going on and it had to be explained to all the international journalists how Utah wasn't quite like the rest of the US.

Good bit on Utah from the Brady people, from January 2005:

Utah Report Card.