Jambands.ca

Wal-Mart ~ The High Cost of Low Prices

fluffhead77

their ridiculous laxity with regard to proper and ethical treatment of their employees for one...condemnation of small community businesses once a wal-mart moves in for two....these were things I was previously aware of, but not to such a degree as is outlined and exemplified in the movie.

Yeah I saw it and was blown away as well. Everyone should see this movie. If you ever had any lingering suspicions about the ethics of Wal Mart see this movie. See this movie and I guarentee you will never shop there again. I for one, was completely shocked at the ability of the company to be so thoroughly ruthless in their drive to the top.

Evil Genius in certain circumstances; for example, signing an agreement with a municipal government that in exchange for huge subsidies, Wal Mart doesn't have to pay any property tax for its first 2 years at that location. What does Wal Mart do 2 days before the local gov. would begin to collect on millions in property taxes? It moves the entire store 2.1 miles down the road, just outside that township, thus avoiding paying property taxes.

watch to see their sales (and what they are on), during the third week of each month (when welfare checks come out).

a friend of mine works for their marketing dept, and they genuinly market thier products around welfare checks....

adult women shoes, and other items of 'luxury' will go on sale each third week of the month.....

necessities will be saves for other, poorer, weeks.

right, it's just a movie...but it's also based on events and testimonials. Even if some parts are exaggerated, it's still based on some empirical evidence. It's the underlying sentiment that is the kicker, not necessarily the "facts"...although if they're true, they're shocking beyond belief.

meh...I'll still shop at wal-mart...I still eat at Mcdonald's, and if they give out free guns at my bank...I'll pick one up...

If I was smart enough to be a greedy mother-fucker, I'd probably do it. edit: that is open up a large corporation to make loads of cashola.

Edited by Guest

right, it's just a movie...but it's also based on events and testimonials. Even if some parts are exaggerated, it's still based on some empirical evidence. It's the underlying sentiment that is the kicker, not necessarily the "facts"...although if they're true, they're shocking beyond belief.

ok. i haven't seen it, so shoulnd't even really comment. just seems like a "mooreism" to me.. walmart is shite, but is also the victim of leftist propaganda.

see the movie then decide. Also, demonstrating just how low a company will stoop isn't propaganda, its consumer and employee advocacy.

please note- to many conservatives this equation is true:

consumer advocacy + employee rights = leftist propganda.

Edited by Guest

just being fair across the board, is all. i'm not disputing that half the film isn't true, it probably is. but i think it would serve everyone well to remember that such things are easily manipulated to serve one's point. that and the right side of the political spectrum isn't the only side capable of being evil, even though it is probably more guilty of it than the left.

well, my dad was in st louis for work a few months ago, and he was talking to this businessman in the airport, the business man had an interview with some walmart ppl, the ones that decide if your biz is good enough to have its product on walmarts shelves. the meeting was at 5am, and they bring in both competing bidders into the same room, theyre both trying to get the sweet sweet walmart contract, and walmart plays them off each other, making them underbid each other until walmart picks which biz will supply them. the problem lies in the underbidding, and meeting at 5am when you are only half there, tired, jetlagged, etc etc. the underbidding is a huge prob. though, thats why so many small bizz's that get the sweet sweet walmart contract still go under, they signed a deal with walmart promising to supply product for such a low price, just to get the walmart contract, that they eventually run themselves into the ground.

another really fucked up fact about walmart, this one you can probably find on the net, walmart gets life insurance policies for some of their elderly workers, and they dont tell the family, so when they work their older employees into an early grave, they get abut 60,000 in life insurance that the family doesnt even know about. hows that for shitty business practices?

i havent shopped at walmart in a couple years now, about a year and a half i guess. its tough cuz they got the deals, but i just cant go in there on principles

Edited by Guest

man, walmart wanted our company in their stores awhile ago (so i am told). but then they wanted us to manufacture in friggin china or something and sell it to them super cheap, pay the people in china to make it a piddly amount and then have us be exclusive to them! i think not!

then there is the fact that they build a walmart in/around the mayan ruins. the people protested like crazy but they still put one up, stating that the reason being is that the next closest one was an "awfully far" 9 miles away or something. they are bastards and i can not with good conscience shop there EVER

i can appreciate your call for equality when a story is told, but then what sort of vision would the film have? I'd be interested in your opinion after you've seen the film Birdy... and then let me know whether you think it's being overly biased.

yah i know.. sorry i really shouldn't have said anything.. i kinda avoided it yesterday but caved today.

you're right though.. without the bias the film would completely lack vision, no disputing that. i'm just hoping it's taken at face value i guess. :)

then there is the fact that they build a walmart in/around the mayan ruins. the people protested like crazy but they still put one up, stating that the reason being is that the next closest one was an "awfully far" 9 miles away or something. they are bastards and i can not with good conscience shop there EVER

no doubt. reminds me of the pat robertson quack and his quest to build a "jesusisfunland" in galilee. $.$.$.$.$.

I just read this book for a class:

0465023169.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Selling Women Short: The Landmark Battle For Workers' Rights At Wal-Mart

by Liza Featherstone

The book is the story of a class-action suit that is happening now against Wal-Mart. The suit makes some SERIOUS allegations of inequality spread throughout the entire Wal-Mart chain. Women making $10,000 less per year than less qualified male counterparts seems to be consistent through the entire chain.

Don't forget - Wal-Mart is the single largest retail employer in the United States. And try to wrap your head around this one: If Wal-Mart were a country, it would be China's fifth-largest export market. The book claims that women in many of the Southern states who have full-time jobs at Wal-Mart STILL live below the poverty line and must rely on welfare and food stamps. It goes on to tell of a social assistance daycare program in Georgia that cared for 18,000 children of welfare recipients - a study then found that 10,000 of those children were children of Wal-Mart employees. Critics of this 'leftist propaganda' would argue that a private business should be left alone to its practices, but when a private business has grown to such massive proportions that it affects so many people, there is room to step in.

It's a quick read, but it'll make you mighty angry.